No announcement yet.

Button-down collars with suits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's sort of JFK-Ivy League inspired even if not entirely "correct" by traditional standards. If it was okay by JFK, it is okay by me.

Comment

There are a lot of shameful episodes in our country's history.

This one pretty much at the top of that list.

Comment

Depends on where you are, and the cut of the suit

In New England and New York, with a very traditional suit (sack suit, or at least an plain American cut suit) it's fine to have a button-down collar with a suit. JFK did it, lots of old school, well dressed guys do it.

Also works in those places with a perhaps WASPy settings in the US South with a seersucker suit and some other relatively informal summer suits, also in a plain American cut suit.

Everywhere else, and with a more trendy or European-looking suit, it's not right to wear a button collar shirt with a suit.

Comment

I feel a little bad that the button down collar with suit has been mixed up with general negativity on the button down collar. The OCBD is a great casual shirt and I couldn't imagine them wasting away in my closet for years, even if they'd never make it out when I'm wearing a suit.

Comment

As long as I'm not wearing a tie, then I don't care personally.

Comment

It's a way to dress down the suit a bit, even with a tie. I don't mind it. It's just another option.

Comment

Anyone have experience with hidden button down shirts? They would seem to offer the utilitarian aspect of button downs, coupled with a simple clean look.

Comment

Sounds smart. I've lost my share of magnets lately.

Comment

I've wondered about them as well, would love to hear some experiences. I feel like I've said this before but if I ever go the MTM route it'll be a somewhat shorter (so I can wear untucked) OCBD with hidden buttons in a light blue, with a heavier oxford fabric (more like J Crew than JCP). Also would have the first button slightly lower (Ledbury-style). Are hidden buttons and lowered first buttons things you can request through most MTM sites? I've never seen them listed amongst standard options.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMimbo View Post
                      As long as I'm not wearing a tie, then I don't care personally.
                      This is my thought as well. I think it's perfectly acceptable for a more casual look with suit and no tie. In my opinion the point of the button down is to keep the collar up to frame your face when the top button is undone, so the utility is defeated when the top button is buttoned or you're wearing a tie and then the extra buttons are just redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                        Are hidden buttons and lowered first buttons things you can request through most MTM sites? I've never seen them listed amongst standard options.
                        I only just recently began looking into MTM. I know that Modern Tailor and Natty Shirts offers them. I asked about hidden button down collars because I am thinking about trying out the Natty shirts that have been discussed in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                          Anyone have experience with hidden button down shirts? They would seem to offer the utilitarian aspect of button downs, coupled with a simple clean look.
                          I wore them almost exclusively right out of college (1992-1995 ish), when my job was not business-casual (big-3 during that era celebrated casual Fridays - Ooooooo...!). Some of them were actually hidden *snaps*, right under the points of the collar.

Actually hidden BDs and tab-collars too. Those were my thing then. I got out of them when we switched to a typical corporate business casual, and now we're full-on slob-casual (well, not me - I read Dappered daily!)

I actually got a little nostalgic with the whole *Skyfall* tab-collar thing. Made me want to go hunt some down again and see if they still worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                            A friend of mine goes full bespoke with his shirts and gets hidden buttons on them. I'm not sure whether the implementation would be the same on MTM ones or not, so I can't comment on that, however, they did look great on his shirts (by that I mean that they were not apparent at all and did keep the collar looking great).
                            My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

I wish I could remember which brand mine were, or better yet still had them. Seems like I had a pretty decent rack (WODER!) of them back in the day. I mean I wore mostly white shirts to work then, sometimes light blue (pretty standard business attire colors). Thing is, they were likely sadly oversized and a bit *billowy* - remember, we're talking early '90s here. "WHOOP - WHOOP - WHOOP!" So maybe it's better that I don't still have them.

They were very likely just something from Macy's (was it Marshall Field's back then, or maybe even Hudson's?), or something, but then again there was a local menswear shop in my hometown, where I got my two *interviewing suits* and some shirts, ties, etc. My dad used to get *all* of his clothes from them. Really nice stuff. There's a chance those hidden BDs and/or the collar-tab shirts were from there. This is going to bug me all day.

Comment

Working...
                              X