Opinions: Clarks Bushacre 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions: Clarks Bushacre 2

I found a pair of Bushacre 2's in sand color (suede) for $50 (CAD) and beeswax for $90 (CAD). I like the look of the beeswax more but it gets marked up so easily. $50 for the sand color is a steal but not sure if the maintenance is worth it or if it will be as versatile. Any advice?

Beeswax/Sand Suede

I have had mine for about 2 years and I really like them. If you are looking for a more casual boot then these are perfect. They wear well, and they get a nice distressed look after wearing them for a while. For that price I say go for it.

Comment

I have both of these (my beeswax are Originals with the crepe sole rather than Bushacres) and I like them both but you are right, the beeswax does mark up a little bit and after a long time they can look a little banged up. Some people consider this part of their classic look but I try to keep mine looking nicer so I try to be careful when wearing them. Maybe at some point you could apply some conditioner or cleaner but I haven't tried that yet. For the suede, I put some protectant on them and usually don't wear them in really wet weather. They still look fine. The $50 price is a steal. I'd jump on that.

Comment

Beeswax are $80 USD here. Bit cheaper than $90.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/...rid=PERFORMICS

Comment

If you are going to dish out 90 bucks for a beeswax Clarks Boot, get an original Desert Boot, not the Bushacre. They are the exact same in fit and quality of leather, but has a slightly darker leather tone and a natural crepe sole (as opposed to the synthetic on the Bushacre). 80 is what you should be paying if you are adamant about the Bushacre (cost difference is in the soles).

Comment

I bought the beeswax about a year ago, they have some marks on them but they still look fine. I wear them 2-3 times a week. I liked them so much that I bought another pair in grey suede (I wear them any time I think a black shoe would be needed). I basically just alternate between these two and a pair of pro-keds. I was actually thinking about buying a third pair in sand, but I think I'm gonna get a suede wingtip or buck instead. I paid $70usd for my beeswax (Nordstrom rack) and $60usd for my suedes (Clark's/Bostonian outlet) shipped to my house because they didn't have my size.

I should mention that they seem to run about .5 size long, but if you have a wide foot you should stick with your regular size IMO. I'm a 10 in sneakers, 9.5 in AE, and I went with the 9.5 because the 9 was really tight across the ball area of my foot. They may have stretched and been fine but I didn't want to rely on that. I just tie them tight and I'm good to go. I'd recommend them to anyone, especially at $50CAD.
            Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by Zeejet View Post
              If you are going to dish out 90 bucks for a beeswax Clarks Boot, get an original Desert Boot, not the Bushacre. They are the exact same in fit and quality of leather, but has a slightly darker leather tone and a natural crepe sole (as opposed to the synthetic on the Bushacre). 80 is what you should be paying if you are adamant about the Bushacre (cost difference is in the soles).
              I agree on the tone of the leather. However, I actually prefer the synthetic sole. I think it will last longer and probably work better for me in Florida where it rains everyday in the summer. I don't know how well the crepe would stand up to it (to be fair, I have no actual experience with them though). Maybe someone could chime in on that aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                I agree on the tone of the leather. However, I actually prefer the synthetic sole. I think it will last longer and probably work better for me in Florida where it rains everyday in the summer. I don't know how well the crepe would stand up to it (to be fair, I have no actual experience with them though). Maybe someone could chime in on that aspect.
                You are probably right (synthetic looks to be more robust and stiffer). I personally don't wear mine out in the rain or snow since the boot isn't very water proof (although you could treat it) so I like the softer natural crepe sole. It really comes down to your preference really and how you choose to treat your boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Vare View Post
                  Beeswax are $80 USD here. Bit cheaper than $90.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/...rid=PERFORMICS
                  Thanks but I'm in Canada so shipping will negate any savings.

Originals here in Canada are rarely cheaper than $160, both retail and online usually.

Thanks for the responses so far. More are always welcome.

Comment

One word: eBay.

Depends on your size but here are a few listings:

(Ships Worldwide) Dirt Cheap (36$) in Sz 9.5 with Minor Scuffs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarks-Origi...item20d129f79f
                    (US Only SHipping) Brand New in most sizes (85$): http://www.ebay.com/itm/190791153415...84.m1439.l2649

Check with shipping but I think you will still save.
                    Last edited by Zeejet; April 3, 2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

You are probably right (synthetic looks to be more robust and stiffer). I personally don't wear mine out in the rain or snow since the boot isn't very water proof (although you could treat it) so I like the softer natural crepe sole. It really comes down to your preference really and how you choose to treat your boots.
                      I actually got mine completely soaked about a month after I got them. I stuffed them with newspaper to help them dry and they were good as new with no waterproofing of any kind. Not sure if it was luck or the beeswax is slightly waterproof?

Comment

I tried on the Bushacre and crepe sole and found the crepe sole to be more comfortable. That's just me though. As far as water, I have the sand color original and have worn them in a lot of rain and snow and I think they look better. Again, personal preference, but they're definitely not ruined.

Comment

Random question -- I have a pair of the originals that I use as my bang around town in DC boots (so they're not in great shape, but I kind of like the character). The crepe sole went from its natural bright color to a pretty dismal variation of the same grey leather of the boot after a few days of heavy urban wear. Do you guys try and do anything to clean that up or just roll with it as part of the character of the boot?

Comment

I actually have both of the pairs shown above and they have held up well. Though I have not tried on the Originals, I think the synthetic sole is fine and quite comfortable for me. The beeswax version does get scuffed rather easily but I expected that and just use some leather conditioner now and then. I have applied a suede protector to my sand suede pair and they are holding up just fine as well. I say buy them. You won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
                              Thanks but I'm in Canada so shipping will negate any savings.

Originals here in Canada are rarely cheaper than $160, both retail and online usually.

Thanks for the responses so far. More are always welcome.
                              I picked up the same pair two years ago at Winners for just under $50 and love them! I did grab a dark brown from Johnston and Murphy too to go along with the sand color (they are light). They have held up pretty good and recently took them out from winter storage. Very comfy!!

I am not a fan of the beeswax. I think they feel/look cheap (IMO) not to upset others....

Comment

Working...
                              X