Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best options for ties and pocket squares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best options for ties and pocket squares?

I am changing out several of my ties and pocket squares and am looking for the best options. The Tie Bar has gotten a lot of mentions here and the selection and prices seem great. Any other favorites?

http://threads.dappered.com/showthread.php/9632-Ties

Comment

thanks, i'm embarrassed to have missed this, it didn't show up in the thread search i ran :-(

Comment

I pretty much exclusively use the Tie Bar nowadays for my day-to-days. The options and price are hard to beat. The only other place I've really bought a tie in the last few years is the Brooks Brothers Factory store when they're doing a big sale.

Everlane (https://www.everlane.com/) did a limited run of a few ties in the fall -- I actually really liked the grey flannel one I got. They're not currently offering any (see here) but when they do I found them to be nice for the price ($35).

Comment

I know everyone loves the Tie Bar, but I've had bad luck with them. I've ordered five, not thrilled with any of them. Two grenafaux's with sideways curve (about halfway to Dilbert) and the other three were a little stretched and a lot louder than I thought they would be, though that might be a computer monitor issue.
          Maybe I should give the Knottery a shot, I've got two PS from them that are nice.

Comment

The grenafauxs aren't good. But there are some good ties at TieBar, too. I think in terms of quality, Knottery has them beat by miles. I recently got a Lands' End knit tie on clearance, and it's much nicer than either of those. I was given a couple of J Crew ties, and they are nice but way, way overpriced.

Comment

I have 3 knit and 3 linen ties from tie bar, along with half a dozen pocket squares. All were fantastic and the prices are great. I stopped buying from anywhere else.

Comment

Tie bar is great for value but sometimes the styles and quality isn't the highest.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                  The grenafauxs aren't good.
                  You think so? I have a bunch of the grenafauxs and they are my favorite ties from the Tie Bar.

Comment

Also, some places for ties and squares: Howard Yount and Kent Wang. A little more expensive but good stuff.

Comment

Well, at least the grenafauxs don't do a good job of mimicking real grenadines. They aren't textured enough and they are too shiny. Maybe they work well if you don't first try to imagine they're knitted.

Look, TieBar does what it does very well. But if you have a choice between a TieBar tie and a Land's End/JCrew/Knottery tie on sale for the same price, then I'd go with the other brand 100% of the time.

Comment

Does anybody else feel that pocket squares are one of those rip off items--items that don't cost much to produce, but are still sold at high prices. I find it hard to drop $15+ on a square of fabric, no matter the quality. Anybody ever experiment with making them or having a tailor hem up a square of beautiful fabric?

Comment

Originally posted by aj87 View Post
                          Does anybody else feel that pocket squares are one of those rip off items--items that don't cost much to produce, but are still sold at high prices. I find it hard to drop $15+ on a square of fabric, no matter the quality. Anybody ever experiment with making them or having a tailor hem up a square of beautiful fabric?
                          Not really. For quality pocket squares you're paying for the design, the fabric, and the time it takes for someone to hand roll and sew the edges. My wife has made me a couple out of some of my retired shirts and hand sewing the edges definitely takes a time. Of course these are cotton and although nice, still look like shirt fabric. For an original design in silk or silk/wool blend I have no problem paying much more than $15. Of course I also know how/when to buy to get them on sale or the best deal. Since we're only allowed 4 images in a post, here are 4 I have that are definitely worth more than $15 IMO.

(BTW, I think a square similar to the first one should be the second square one should buy after a white linen. An ancient madder paisley goes well with all kinds of suit/shirt/tie combos.)

Comment

Working...
                          X