Need Help Quickly! (Suit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Quickly! (Suit)

Okay, I'm Paul Bearer for a funeral Saturday. I need to know the best place to get a dark suit with a reasonable price before Saturday. Online is probably out of the option because I need it quick.

Check out the suit separates at Macy's with this 25% off coupon:

http://www.macys.com/dyn_img/site_ad...b25MunpaOhaUkQ

Comment

Macy's is a good place to check. INC and Alfani both have suits that are pretty slim-fitted and won't cost you too much (though they won't be the best material or construction).

Banana Republic is my go-to store for suits (although I know some folks here aren't that fond of them). A full suit with no discount will run you a bit over $500, which isn't cheap, but not horrible if you can wear it again (for that reason I'd suggest navy or charcoal grey over black if at all possible). J.Crew is another expensive-but-good-investment option but I, personally, have yet to find a J.Crew brick-and-mortar that actually carries their suits.

Before you go shopping, you might want to check your local thrift stores. The odds aren't great of finding a perfectly-fitted suit on your first go, but if you do, you will save yourself a huge chunk of change over retail prices. You could also find a suitably formal blazer that you can wear with odd trousers. There's nothing disrespectful about wearing a blazer and dress trousers to a funeral as long as they're appropriately subdued in color/pattern. People are going to be upset and grieving, not judging whether you're wearing the right suit or not.

Ben

Comment

I was gonna say thrifting too, but I don't know if you have time... Do you have a good tailor who knows you and will rush things for you? You're on a very short schedule.

Comment

No there are some good tailors in town but we would be on a first time basis.

Comment

I would advise not going with a thrift suit unless it fits you pretty close to perfectly off the rack. 2 days isn't enough time for a tailor to do any serious work, beyond maybe hemming a trouser (and even then, expect to have to explain your sad story to garner sympathy and pay her/him extra for the work).

I still suggest going through your thrift store before retail shopping - you never know what you might find - but don't expect too much, you will likely still end up going to Macy's or somewhere.

Ben

Comment

Target. $89.98 for a black suit. Yes it isn't the best cut available and is usually a poly/rayon material. But it's cheap, looks presentable, and is fast.

Comment

Please don't wear a black suit. Please. For your sake, look for a charcoal or navy suit.

Macy's house brand "Alfani Red" suits are currently on sale for $90, and there's the 20% coupon that John posted earlier. That's $72 - and you get to try it on, and get it tailored in the store.

Another option is Jos A Bank. They're 50% off in stores right now, and they'll tailor the suit for you.

A third option would be J Crew. They're currently having their fall sale so now's one of the best times to pick one of their suits up on the cheap.

Again, look for a solid charcoal, solid navy, or fine pinstripe navy suit.

Comment

What's wrong with a black suit at a funeral?

Comment

@MagM nothing... at a funeral. But anywhere and any time else? You look like you came from a funeral.

Comment

You would be surprised how many people wear black suits within the Financial Industry. They get thrown around weekly. Weather it's a two button, 3 button, 3 piece or pinstripe. People are always wearing black suits. I personally don't own one, but at tempted to add one to my artillery. I think it all depends on the person, if you think you're going to wear the black suit on a yearly basis than I'd say you can purchase one. They are not as versatile as say a navy suit.

But again, there is nothing like a perfectly tailored two button Navy Suit.

Comment

I work with people from the financial industry. They commit many sartorial atrocities.

Comment

I'm a little ambivalent about black suits. If you have black hair and a dark complexion, you can probably get away with wearing them at non-formal occasions. If you're white or lighter-skinned and don't have have black hair, they just look a little harsh. Navy and charcoal look good on everyone.

Ben

Comment

LMAO at JC's comment! I must agree, as an auditor, I interact with the brass at major companies and most of the time i cant get past how terrible they look, especially when they know the Feds are coming to their offices. Black suits all around the place, makes you feel miserable. I want to just tell them "what the hell are you doing, your the face of this company, have some style please!" Some might say shallow, i say if your a representative an organization, you need to look your best. Period.

On another note. I would wear a black suit on occasions outside of a funeral, but i would also wear a black suit with deep dark brown shoes and a same toned belt. LOL, i did it beofre and thought it looked good.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                            I>0<I

Comment

You have -very- limited time.

IMO, your best bet is to just buy a very inexpensive suit on sale. Just make sure it fits and keep it around for a backup suit. The Alfani red suits at Macy's, as others have mentioned, are pretty slim and inexpensive.

I don't know why anyone would ever pay $500+ for a suit from JCrew / Banana Republic / etc when you can find tremendously better suits in the same price range.

I bought my last suit from ehaberdasher.com for $500 and was very pleased. Fully canvassed, 140s wool, etc. You just won't have time for an option like that for this suit, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X