Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shawl cardigan w/ sport coat - does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shawl cardigan w/ sport coat - does it work?

So like the title says, can you rock a shawl cardigan under a sport coat? Does the look work? OR Is it too jumbled b/c the shawl gets in the way?

That would be way to bulky. In my opinion the only sweaters I would wear under a blazer would be either a v-neck or crew.

Comment

It would have to be an extremely thin sweater. I have seen shawl collar vests under a suit or tuxedo jacket.

Comment

Thinking about it I would say no, but I bet there's a good picture of it working out there somewhere

Comment

There's someone out there that can make anything work. That doesn't mean that anyone can make anything work. In my opinion, it's hard to pull off. You have a shirt collar inside, a jacket collar outside, and then a go-to-hell-sized collar in the middle. Layering tends to look best when things (patterns, features, etc.) scale sequentially from inside to outside or vice versa.
          Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

You're killing me, printyra. You're killing me.

Comment

I'm going to join the chorus of 'no'
              "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

No, it would add unwanted puff and bulk to the contours of the suit.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                  You're killing me, printyra. You're killing me.
                  what? lol

I saw this: http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegal...8/_7392618.jpg

and was like, "is this a thing?"

Comment

Originally posted by printyra View Post
                    what? lol

I saw this: http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegal...8/_7392618.jpg

and was like, "is this a thing?"
                    I don't know if I've ever seen a model fail so badly at pulling something off.
                    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Expression on his face reads: "I'm getting paid for this. What's your excuse?"

Comment

Originally posted by DXLi View Post
                        I don't know if I've ever seen a model fail so badly at pulling something off.
                        Really!? What's so bad about it?

Comment

Originally posted by bremersm View Post
                          That would be way to bulky. In my opinion the only sweaters I would wear under a blazer would be either a v-neck or crew.
                          I bought a tailored v-neck, there is no way in hell that thing is going to fit over a dress shirt and then into a fitted suit/sport jacket. I can barely get the thing to go over the sleeves on my shirt without being a pain in the arse. I think most people wear sweater vest to avoid the sleeve padding issue in the arms. I like that look but it's for a vneck long sleeve shirt rather than sweater I'm thinking.

On a side note, whenever I see anyone in a dress shirt and v-neck sweater I now go "Wow he spent a lot of time getting ready!" or "That guy must be like 150lbs underneath all that"

Comment

I have worn thin or normal weight non-shawl collar cardigans under sport coats, and they work fine. And I've merino v-necks with no problem. But a jacket would have to have a generous fit to work with a shawl cardigan. And beyond that it does look a little odd, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bremersm View Post
                              I'd probably go v neck over crew, but I struggle to wear crewnecks. Either way, thin is key here...merino not lambswool. Especially if it's a heavy blazer in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X