Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bjmcgeever
    replied
    Depends on the gray for me. I like light/mid gray with walnut leather, but not dark gray/charcoal (which that Thompson suit is).

Leave a comment:

• DXLi
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevbo View Post
    you could try and get that exact color pocket square or you could think about getting a plain white pocket square.
    No, no, no, do not match your pocket square exactly with your tie. Doing so makes you look like you had your mom go to Mervyn's to buy you a pre-matched set.

You can never go wrong with a simple white linen pocket square with hand-rolled edges. If you don't know anything about pocket squares, go with it. If you want to branch out, you may consider a pocket square with a color that brings out some subtle color in another part of your outfit. Look closely at the cloth of the suit to see if there are any subtle color weaves. You could also do a pocket square with burgundy in it, but it should have a starkly different pattern, texture, etc. from the tie.

Additional reading from my second-favorite MW blog: http://putthison.com/post/391303605/pocketsquares

Leave a comment:

• Kevbo
    replied
    Originally posted by kilboua View Post
    Thanks guys- I was actually thinking the same thing. I really like this tie
    http://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-burgundy.html

could you guys give me some examples of a pocket square I could add to this outfit? I really have no experience with pocket squares.
    Also, do you think I should go french cuff or button cuff?
    very nice tie- "matching" a pocket square may be a little tough with that tie, you could try and get that exact color pocket square or you could think about getting a plain white pocket square. It would def be subtle but i feel like white goes with gray, brown and a nice white shirt.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    I've got the same suit as well as AE shoes in the same color (walnut). I'd hesitate to wear them together. The gray is just too dark, in my opinion, to go with the light brown leather. You'd be better off sticking with black or dark brown.

Grey and Walnut are a great combo.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    kilboua, if you buy that tie please review it here. The Kent Wang grenadines look gorgeous on the website, and I'd be curious to know how they look in person. Again, you've picked a very good choice in a tie.

Leave a comment:

• kilboua
    replied
    Thanks guys- I was actually thinking the same thing. I really like this tie
    http://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-burgundy.html

could you guys give me some examples of a pocket square I could add to this outfit? I really have no experience with pocket squares.
    Also, do you think I should go french cuff or button cuff?

Leave a comment:

• Kevbo
    replied
    I think the color gray and brown go well. Im currently wearing a gray BB golden fleece suit with walnut AE Fifth Avenues- shirt is white and tie is striped spring/pastel colors

Leave a comment:

• aps2012
    replied
    Use a pocket square to add some flair. If you're going with a plain white shirt and plain but textured tie then something with a little pattern in it, or just a simple white linen square, neatly folded.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied
    I do agree with bruschetta here. The texture will add some nice depth. If you have the budget, an actual grenadine tie (in burgundy) would serve you perfectly here.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    If I wore black shoes then, would you think a white tab collar shirt with a tie like this
    http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page....ptionValueIds=

would look good?
    Yes. kilboua, this is an excellent choice. You may want to stick with that colour but find a tie with more texture. That being said, your choice in a tie has already shown that you have good taste, so trust your instincts.

Leave a comment:

• DXLi
    replied
    If I wore black shoes then, would you think a white tab collar shirt with a tie like this

would look good?
    Yup. A burgundy tie goes with everything.

Leave a comment:

• kilboua
    replied
    Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    I've got the same suit as well as AE shoes in the same color (walnut). I'd hesitate to wear them together. The gray is just too dark, in my opinion, to go with the light brown leather. You'd be better off sticking with black or dark brown.

would look good?

Leave a comment:

• bjmcgeever
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kilboua
    replied
    Originally posted by printyra View Post
    +1

If it is a formal event, then you should be wearing black shoes. Also, you want a fairly conservative tie. A solid burgundy or black tie, like a grenadine/grenafaux. The key to killing it while in formal or traditional attire is fit. For example, look at Daniel Craig as James Bond. His outfits are nothing outrageous at all and very conservative/traditional. He looks great thought because they fit well. So with that said, take a little more time with the tailor in order to get what you want.
    Sounds good. If I went with a white tab collar shirt and a black/burgandy tie, what color shoe would you reccomend? Could I wear my strands, or should I instead wear my simple black cap toes that look pretty sharp?

Leave a comment:

• printyra
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    For a formal event, it's hard to go wrong with a white shirt and a subtly-patterned silk tie in black, charcoal, navy, or burgundy.

You've said you want to look "bold," but remember that "formal" is essentially synonymous with "traditional" and "conservative" in this context. If you want your outfit to do the talking for you, I suggest you let it speak through impeccable attention to fit and detail, rather than by wearing something gimmicky that might come off as immature and unpolished.
    +1

If it is a formal event, then you should be wearing black shoes. Also, you want a fairly conservative tie. A solid burgundy or black tie, like a grenadine/grenafaux. The key to killing it while in formal or traditional attire is fit. For example, look at Daniel Craig as James Bond. His outfits are nothing outrageous at all and very conservative/traditional. He looks great thought because they fit well. So with that said, take a little more time with the tailor in order to get what you want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X