Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey Suit Question-- Need Help Please

Hey Guys,

I have been hanging around the forums for a while now, but I need some urgent help and I decided to join so I could ask you all! My name is Andrew, by the way.

Essentially, I have a formal dinner event coming up and I really need to look sharp. I like a little bit of flair in my outfits, but I need to make sure I look bold without looking downright strange or out of place.

I was planning on wearing a Grey J. Crew Thompson suit that I will (of course) get tailored. It is a medium grey and can be seen below.
    http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...7226/47226.jsp

I also was planning on wearing my Allen Edmonds Strand Wingtips. Seen Here.
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

Beyond that, however, I am lost on a shirt and tie combination. i really want to look sharp and try to avoid the stereotypical looks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, if you have reccomendations to change either the suit or the shoes, let me know!

There are a lot of options available, though this does depend on your skin tone. What color Strands do you own? I'm not a big fan of the idea of wearing walnut to a formal dinner event, though if you want to be bold that's pretty much sufficient IMO. You could go for a gingham shirt and a solid tie (knit or textured silk).

Comment

For a formal event, it's hard to go wrong with a white shirt and a subtly-patterned silk tie in black, charcoal, navy, or burgundy.

You've said you want to look "bold," but remember that "formal" is essentially synonymous with "traditional" and "conservative" in this context. If you want your outfit to do the talking for you, I suggest you let it speak through impeccable attention to fit and detail, rather than by wearing something gimmicky that might come off as immature and unpolished.
      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        For a formal event, it's hard to go wrong with a white shirt and a subtly-patterned silk tie in black, charcoal, navy, or burgundy.

You've said you want to look "bold," but remember that "formal" is essentially synonymous with "traditional" and "conservative" in this context. If you want your outfit to do the talking for you, I suggest you let it speak through impeccable attention to fit and detail, rather than by wearing something gimmicky that might come off as immature and unpolished.
        +1

If it is a formal event, then you should be wearing black shoes. Also, you want a fairly conservative tie. A solid burgundy or black tie, like a grenadine/grenafaux. The key to killing it while in formal or traditional attire is fit. For example, look at Daniel Craig as James Bond. His outfits are nothing outrageous at all and very conservative/traditional. He looks great thought because they fit well. So with that said, take a little more time with the tailor in order to get what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by printyra View Post
          +1

If it is a formal event, then you should be wearing black shoes. Also, you want a fairly conservative tie. A solid burgundy or black tie, like a grenadine/grenafaux. The key to killing it while in formal or traditional attire is fit. For example, look at Daniel Craig as James Bond. His outfits are nothing outrageous at all and very conservative/traditional. He looks great thought because they fit well. So with that said, take a little more time with the tailor in order to get what you want.
          Sounds good. If I went with a white tab collar shirt and a black/burgandy tie, what color shoe would you reccomend? Could I wear my strands, or should I instead wear my simple black cap toes that look pretty sharp?

Comment

I've got the same suit as well as AE shoes in the same color (walnut). I'd hesitate to wear them together. The gray is just too dark, in my opinion, to go with the light brown leather. You'd be better off sticking with black or dark brown.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
              I've got the same suit as well as AE shoes in the same color (walnut). I'd hesitate to wear them together. The gray is just too dark, in my opinion, to go with the light brown leather. You'd be better off sticking with black or dark brown.
              If I wore black shoes then, would you think a white tab collar shirt with a tie like this
              http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page....ptionValueIds=

would look good?

Comment

Originally posted by kilboua View Post
                If I wore black shoes then, would you think a white tab collar shirt with a tie like this

would look good?
                Yup. A burgundy tie goes with everything.
                Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kilboua View Post

would look good?
                  Yes. kilboua, this is an excellent choice. You may want to stick with that colour but find a tie with more texture. That being said, your choice in a tie has already shown that you have good taste, so trust your instincts.

Comment

I do agree with bruschetta here. The texture will add some nice depth. If you have the budget, an actual grenadine tie (in burgundy) would serve you perfectly here.
                    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Use a pocket square to add some flair. If you're going with a plain white shirt and plain but textured tie then something with a little pattern in it, or just a simple white linen square, neatly folded.

Comment

I think the color gray and brown go well. Im currently wearing a gray BB golden fleece suit with walnut AE Fifth Avenues- shirt is white and tie is striped spring/pastel colors
                        eBay id-> Mr.k215

Comment

Thanks guys- I was actually thinking the same thing. I really like this tie
                          http://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-burgundy.html

could you guys give me some examples of a pocket square I could add to this outfit? I really have no experience with pocket squares.
                          Also, do you think I should go french cuff or button cuff?

Comment

kilboua, if you buy that tie please review it here. The Kent Wang grenadines look gorgeous on the website, and I'd be curious to know how they look in person. Again, you've picked a very good choice in a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post

Grey and Walnut are a great combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X