Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shorts weather is nigh upon us - what are your favorite styles and brands?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    I'd recommend checking out Uniqlo shorts if you can. They are a good length and slimmer than other brands that I have tried. I'm 5"9' and they hit right above the knee. Another option you might want to check out is H&M. Both are pretty inexpensive and fit well IMO.

    Comment


      #32
      My shorts collection is woefully....short... so I'll be following this thread for a bit. Of the ones I have, my usual goto are a JCrew pair I grabbed from a consignment shop last year. The glen paid is pretty subtle so that until you get up close they look like a simple textured gray. My roommate swears by our local Eddie Bauer outlet's basic shorts, which will go on sale for something like $10-15 and hit above the knee.

      Comment


        #33
        I picked up a couple pairs of shorts from the J.Crew Factory sale this weekend. A regular chino pair in blue and an oxford cloth pair in blue/white stripe. Took them and a pair of Target shorts to the tailor to get shortened up a bit... so they will have more like a 7" inseam than 9".
        Ben

        Comment


          #34
          Bonobos. I have three pair.

          Comment


            #35
            Currently 3 pair of JCP's (khaki, stone and grey), and 2 pairs of J.Crew Factory in more...daring colors (baby blue and red Gramercy's).

            Comment


              #36
              I've got three pairs of shorts from Old Navy that I picked up last spring that I really like. I've got a pair of the Target Merona shorts too, but the fit is a bit boxy on those, IMO.

              Comment


                #37
                Ugh, had bad luck with shorts shopping today (I'm 6'1 with chicken legs). Old Navy = too baggy. Gap "Lived In" = great fit around waist and legs but an inch or so too short. J. Crew "Stanton" = too short. J. Crew "Club" = good length but too baggy. Am I being too picky? Since I have really long legs that are also really skinny I'm having difficulty finding shorts that are long enough to end right above my knees but that are narrow enough not to make it look my legs are swimming in them. I know some people like their shorts to end above their knees but I just can't pull that off given how long my legs are. I ran out of time during my lunch hour today but maybe I'll try Target Merona shorts tomorrow.
                Last edited by MattRicketts; May 1, 2013, 07:07 PM.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Leg width is the biggest problem in shorts today, IMO. Most shorts are cut like squares or rectangles, so the legs are uniformly wide the whole way through, despite the fact that human legs are not. One possible solution would be to find the best shorts you can and have a tailor taper the legs slightly.

                  Another option would be to take some slim-fitting chinos (maybe an old pair you already have) and have them made into shorts.
                  Ben

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    Leg width is the biggest problem in shorts today, IMO. Most shorts are cut like squares or rectangles, so the legs are uniformly wide the whole way through, despite the fact that human legs are not. One possible solution would be to find the best shorts you can and have a tailor taper the legs slightly.
                    Hadn't thought of taking them into my tailor, thanks for the tip.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      Leg width is the biggest problem in shorts today, IMO. Most shorts are cut like squares or rectangles, so the legs are uniformly wide the whole way through, despite the fact that human legs are not.
                      What's the point of shorts if you can't feel the occasional breeze on your man bits?

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Nothing wrong with a nice breeze, but you don't need your shorts to look like an A-line skirt for that. Shorts can be simultaneously flattering and comfortable.

                        I wear my shorts much shorter than most dudes (5-7" inseam) so breeziness is not an issue for me. Shorter shorts also don't need to taper that much, since they end at a much thicker part of your leg (mid-thigh).
                        Ben

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by MattRicketts View Post
                          Ugh, had bad luck with shorts shopping today (I'm 6'1 with chicken legs). Old Navy = too baggy. Gap "Lived In" = great fit around waist and legs but an inch or so too short. J. Crew "Stanton" = too short. J. Crew "Club" = good length but too baggy. Am I being too picky? Since I have really long legs that are also really skinny I'm having difficulty finding shorts that are long enough to end right above my knees but that are narrow enough not to make it look my legs are swimming in them. I know some people like their shorts to end above their knees but I just can't pull that off given how long my legs are. I ran out of time during my lunch hour today but maybe I'll try Target Merona shorts tomorrow.
                          You might want to try a pair from Lands End Canvas too.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            I'm bumping this thread because I'd like to know if anyone can provide any commentary like MattRicketts did. I too have long, slim legs, so I'm in the same place as he is. I don't live very close to any malls, so I get to play the "try to figure out things that are likely to work, order a TON of stuff and then return most of it in one shot" game.

                            Anyway, I'm looking for relatively cheap, slim shorts. I don't know what inseam I typically wear, but based on my preference for having shorts hit 1" - 3" above my knee, my guess is I wear at 9" to 11" inseam (long legs and all).

                            Places that come to mind are Target, Uniqlo, H&M, GAP, ASOS, etc. I'd appreciate direct comparisons of any of these places' current offerings (stuff from the past doesn't help me too much unfortunately).
                            My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

                            Comment


                              #44
                              I can't do an expansive comparison, but I've got shorts from JCP and Target. JCP's are certainly slimmer in the leg, by a 1.5-3", maybe. I like them a lot better and they seem to be wearing better than my Merona shorts.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by diversification View Post
                                I'm bumping this thread because I'd like to know if anyone can provide any commentary like MattRicketts did. I too have long, slim legs, so I'm in the same place as he is. I don't live very close to any malls, so I get to play the "try to figure out things that are likely to work, order a TON of stuff and then return most of it in one shot" game.

                                Anyway, I'm looking for relatively cheap, slim shorts. I don't know what inseam I typically wear, but based on my preference for having shorts hit 1" - 3" above my knee, my guess is I wear at 9" to 11" inseam (long legs and all).

                                Places that come to mind are Target, Uniqlo, H&M, GAP, ASOS, etc. I'd appreciate direct comparisons of any of these places' current offerings (stuff from the past doesn't help me too much unfortunately).
                                Diversification---

                                I'm essentially a little larger version than you -- (6'3, we'll-call-it-225, 36 sleeve, 16.5 neck, 43/44 chest, 32 inseam). Somewhat of a (formely) athletic build, so my thighs are a little thick compared to some of the slimmer cuts, but most regular cuts are pretty dicey for a variety of reasons (way too long or baggy). This year's Bonobos 7" shorts are my new jam. I had some of the navy seersucker shorts from last year (9" inseam), but they were a bit tight in the thigh, particularly at the hem line (is that what it's called on shorts?), so didn't dive into their full line. With the 7", they either taper them less or they've made it slightly more forgiving and really nailed it for me. Not exactly cheap, but a good fit off the rack for me, so I have picked up a few pair with credit and hit a sale or two.


                                As for the anti-short-shorts on tall guys, I'm of the different opinion. I wear some Chubbies (5" inseams) for very casual events (party shorts), and live in 7" inseams for any other short wearing.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X