Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shorts weather is nigh upon us - what are your favorite styles and brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shorts weather is nigh upon us - what are your favorite styles and brands?

Where I live, it's been in the high 50s and even the 60s for the past few days. Spring has technically sprung and retailers have fully rolled out their spring/summer lineups. Since seersucker has already got its own thread, I figured it's high time to start a thread on shorts. Love 'em or hate 'em, there's no denying that as far as men's wardrobes go, they're here to stay (in North America at least).

A couple summers ago I had the good fortune of being able to live at my parents' lakeside cabin for a summer job in a nearby town. The lake is in a very rural area - mule deer, foxes, and the odd turkey were my nosiest neighbors. I lived in shorts and flip flops when I wasn't working. I ordered a pair of swim trunks that were fairly short - 5-6" inseam as I recall. Having always worn my shorts at or just above the knee, these "short shorts" were quite a change. After wearing them for a bit, though, I discovered that longer shorts were surprisingly uncomfortable to wear in comparison.

It's pretty difficult to find shorter shorts that have a modern, flattering cut. I recently decided to give Chubbies a try. I really hate their frat-tastic branding, but I liked the look of their shorts. $50 a pop is pretty pricey for so little fabric. Fortunately they are US-made and shipping was free both ways.

I got the shorts in the mail the other day and I totally dig 'em. The fit is flattering and the elasticized waistband, which looks stupid in stock photos, works out fine in reality. The material is soft and very comfortable. And the length is just right - a 5.5" inseam that's just slightly longer than mid-thigh. I might have to plunk down the cash for a second pair when smalls come back in stock. To me, these shorter shorts are far more comfortable and look a lot cleaner than the manpris that most guys seem to prefer. I would never suggest that shorts should be worn for any but the most casual of situations, but I think these shorts will look pretty good with a simple OCBD and boat shoes. The weather is supposed to be cool here tomorrow, but I'll try to post up a WIWT with the shorts in the next week or so.

The only other non-athletic shorts I own right now are a couple pairs from Target - two slim fitting pairs that hit just above the knee, and some less-than-stylish cargo shorts that I have more or less relegated to yardwork and hiking.

What are your thoughts on shorts as part of men's style? What are your favorite styles, fits, and brands?
    Ben

Say no to cargos!
    I'm going to bring out the teal and mango shorts from Target's Webster line that got lots of play (and compliments) last year. I also stocked up on the Merona fitted shorts in white, brown, navy, red that still have tags on them, as well as some linen Izods from a Macy's sale. I do think I'll pick up a few of the chambray shorts (don't recall if they were Mossimo or Merona). I've never spent more than $20 on shorts.

My cargos, camo, and camo cargos are packed deep in storage (ie the Superman Phantom Zone).
    Last edited by RiveDroit; April 1, 2013, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Jcrew factory and Bonobos are my 2 sources for shorts. My fav pair is my Bonobos kneersuckers (made from the same material as the navy seersucker suit which i also love). I cant do the short shorts thing though. I feel you need a very specific build and style for it to work. I personally stick to the 9" inseams. Works best for me.

Comment

3 magic words: Pleated Camo Shorts

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-plea...247125_-1.html

Comment

Add some cargo pockets on those babies, and they are grail status.

Comment

My favorites are by Original Penguin. I wanna say they're the Wittfield (or Whitfield?) Heritage fit, but I could be wrong there; they're still packed away from last year. Pretty slim, and shorter than the typical bro-shorts (manpris - LOL), but not Daisy Dukes by any stretch. I think they're 9" or 10" inseam, and I'm 6'0". I have 3 or 4 pairs (khaki, light grey, dark grey, etc), which I found at Marshalls and/or TJ Maxx for $15 or $20 a piece, IIRC.

Comment

I rarely wear shorts (even in the summer) but when I do, I found some cheap, flat-front khaki ones from Tj Maxx, Champs brand I think.

Comment

Unless you're in Bermuda, shorts should be casual, unpressed and not form-fitting. Dont have to do the baggy MC Hammer style, but the tight, a-few-inches-above-the-knee look of the past few seasons is equally ridiculous. Case in point: http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-b...237554_-1.html

A store that gets little love here makes some great cheap 10-11 inch shorts in a variety of fabrics (cotton, cotton-linen, linen): Old Navy.

Wear shorts, enjoy life.
                Last edited by Johdus; April 1, 2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiveDroit View Post
                  I'm going to bring out the teal and mango shorts from Target's Webster line that got lots of play (and compliments) last year. I also stocked up on the Merona fitted shorts in white, brown, navy, red that still have tags on them, as well as some linen Izods from a Macy's sale. I do think I'll pick up a few of the chambray shorts (don't recall if they were Mossimo or Merona). I've never spent more than $20 on shorts.
                  Those Websters are the other Target shorts I own. They're the only ones I was able to find at Target that were cut slim enough not to balloon around my knees. I was disappointed by the baggy fit of the shorts I tried on at Target earlier this season. Shorts cut with a rectangular silhouette just don't look good. Men's legs are not rectangles anymore than their torsos are boxes.

Originally posted by Johdus View Post
                  Unless you're in Bermuda, shorts should be casual, unpressed and not form-fitting. Dont have to do the baggy MC Hammer style, but the tight, a-few-inches-above-the-knee look of the past few seasons is equally ridiculous. Case in point: http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-b...237554_-1.html
                  Not sure where you're coming from on how shorts "should be" - those LEC shorts look perfectly normal to me, other than the loud pattern. I don't see how anyone could describe the fit as "ridiculous."

Shorts are designed primarily for comfort, and in my experience, a shorter short (5-8" inseam) is simply a lot more comfortable and, assuming you're in moderately good shape, a lot more flattering than the baggy, knee-length-or-longer, pseudo-skirts men like to wear these days.

Don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em. I always thought I would be a just-above-the-knee shorts wearer until I tried a pair of shorter swim trunks. The comfort and cleaner look converted me. Now most everything else looks and feels like wearing a pair of women's bloomers.
                  Ben

Comment

I have a pair of gray plaid RL shorts. Those and brown cargo shorts. The RL ones are my go to. The cargo shorts if I need the pockets (hiking), am going to be doing something that requires "tougher" material (outdoor yard or construction work), or am messing with my motorcycle and need something to wear I don't mind ruining.

I can't do short shorts. Up until a year or so ago I had a hard time wearing shorts that didn't at least cover a portion of my knees. I'm willing to go within an inch of the top of my knees now (still 10" inseam which is hard to find outside of cargo shorts). Short shorts are for swimming or running in my eyes, I can't wear them for casual wear.
                    Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

I work in a chemical lab so no shorts allowed for me. Plus I'm 5'9" and shorts make me look even shorter.

Comment

I also own the Webster shorts from Target, and they are one of my favorites.
                        @yoyorobbo- I also have Penguin Heritage Fit ones that I would recommend to everyone as well (I got mine at Rack though)
                        I got a couple Express Photograper Fit short as well, nice taper and slim fit.
                        Last but not least, I found 2 shorts at Abercrombie(gasp) last year and I like them a lot; 8 inch inseam and a very good taper and price on clearance.
                        At 6'2" I try to stick to alteast 8-9 inch inseam for my shorts, i think I read somewhere that guys taller than 6' should try to avoid 5 inch inseam shorts to avoid looking awkward(this goes only for casual shorts, and not the swim shorts which can be shorter than that).

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Not sure where you're coming from on how shorts "should be" - those LEC shorts look perfectly normal to me, other than the loud pattern. I don't see how anyone could describe the fit as "ridiculous."

Shorts are designed primarily for comfort, and in my experience, a shorter short (5-8" inseam) is simply a lot more comfortable and, assuming you're in moderately good shape, a lot more flattering than the baggy, knee-length-or-longer, pseudo-skirts men like to wear these days.

Don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em. I always thought I would be a just-above-the-knee shorts wearer until I tried a pair of shorter swim trunks. The comfort and cleaner look converted me. Now most everything else looks and feels like wearing a pair of women's bloomers.
                          For the life of me, I can't imagine a 5" inseam looking decent on a man of moderate height or taller. Bathing trunks, fine. But shorts, not so much.

I like a short that hits the top of the knee or slightly above. Hardly bloomer.

vs

Last edited by Johdus; April 1, 2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

None in my closet! I am a true shorts hater, and a firm believer in the idea that the only places men should wear anything like shorts are in the swimming pool, in a jacuzzi, or on the beach. I get by just fine, no matter how hot it gets, in some lightweight chinos.
                            Last edited by Duvel; April 1, 2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                              None in my closet! I am a true shorts hater, and a firm believer in the idea that the only places men should wear anything like shorts are in the swimming pool, in a jacuzzi, or on the beach. I get by just fine, no matter how hot it gets, in some lightweight chinos.
                              How about white shorts

Comment

Working...
                              X