18mm Band on a 22mm Watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18mm Band on a 22mm Watch?

Hi all! So I'm about to place an order from J Crew and I'm looking for a $30 balance tipper for the 30% off that I'll get a lot of use out of. While there are a few other useful items I could grab (polos, etc), I was thinking about taking advantage of the 2 NATO straps for $30 deal, because I adore the comfort and looks of NATO straps but...

My watch comes with a 22mm band. The NATO strap I bought from Amazon that's on it right now is 22mm (the face is 40.0mm) and looks great. So:

1. Will 18mm fit on it?

2. If 18mm does fit on it, will it look strange as there will be 2 mm of empty space on each side of the band?

3. Has anyone else tried this before?

It will fit, but will not look right at all. You don't want that much extra space. I actually have about 3-4 22 mm nato straps that I bought for a watch I've gotten rid of. Got them from crownandbuckle and they are terrific quality. I'd suggest checking them out and getting the proper size.

Comment

I can't recall the particular movie but Sean Connery, as James Bond wore what I believe a 18mm RAF NATO on a Rolex with 20mm lugs. Even on Bond it looked bad.

Comment

The gap will look bad. This image is labeled "20mm strap on 22mm lugs":

It looks messy and your gap will be even bigger.

Edit: Just realized this is the screen cap that bremersm had mentioned above. The movie is Goldfinger
        Last edited by JGL; March 31, 2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't do it at all. I don't care for a 20mm on my 21mm watch. The gap isn't pleasant to the eye. Go to crownandbuckle or check out cheapestnatostraps.com, I have ordered from both with good results at better prices. 2 NATOs for $30 is a rip-off.

Comment

Echoing everyone's thoughts here - there are enough well made decently priced NATO straps floating around that it wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

Thanks, this is a big help. I ended up going with a polo instead to tip the balance over.

And the $15 each price was more because they were patterns that I couldn't find elsewhere.

Comment

I agree with the others and say stick with the correct width.

BTW I love NATO and ZULU bands as well. If you get a ballistic grade strap you can throw it in the wash a few times to soften it up.

Comment

The 2 for $30 deal doesn't work with the 30% off, or at least not for today's sale Grabbed the Andros for $115.50 was going to grab 2 nylon bands but instead just got the leather one. Not sure I'll keep the watch but I'll have 60 days to decide.
                  5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

I agree with the correct-width opinion. As much as I'd like to propose, "hey, if Bond (especially Connery's Bond) pulled it off, then why not?" I have to say, that strap looks silly even when he wears it. Of course it's become the iconic "Bond NATO" (which many people incorrectly label any similarly-striped nylon strap), but it would've looked much more proportioned if it were a 20mm on that sub.

BTW, don't misunderstand me on the "if Bond wore it, then it's cool" tip. There's been several fashion f-ups throughout the years (Roger Moore - I'm looking mostly at you), but overall Bond rules where fashion and *dapperness* is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                    X