Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J. Crew Factory 100% wool Thompson Suit - anyone else think it's shiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. Crew Factory 100% wool Thompson Suit - anyone else think it's shiny?

I can't help but notice the J. Crew Factory 100% Wool Thompson suit to seem a little shiny in the material. I have the 80/20 charcoal version, which is a nice matte texture - and is my favorite suit that I own. But both the gray and navy versions of the 100% wool versions seem very shiny especially under light, as if they were cheap polyester or rayon suits (navy is a little shinier than the gray).

I've been able to find these suits really cheap in the past (about 130 using coupons instore) and I really want to like them, but I had to return them because I couldn't get over this.

I've asked this before, but I didn't really receive any responses. I can't be the only one who thinks this. Anyone?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dapperedcpa; March 31, 2013, 07:02 PM.

They don't at all seem shiny to me. Actually, they're quite matte.

Comment

I have this same problem with the Express suits I purchased at the beginning of my Dapper days. Now they just sit in my closet collecting dust.
      I just purchased the navy cotton suit in store, and noticed that one of the wools seemed a little more "shiny" than the other. However, not to the point of it being unwearable (like my Express suits). We all have our own tolerances.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
        I have this same problem with the Express suits I purchased at the beginning of my Dapper days. Now they just sit in my closet collecting dust.
        I just purchased the navy cotton suit in store, and noticed that one of the wools seemed a little more "shiny" than the other. However, not to the point of it being unwearable (like my Express suits). We all have our own tolerances.

Which Express style do you have, the Producer or the Photographer? I have an old Producer from my pre-dapper days and it doesn't have the shine at all. It collects dust because even after tailoring it still doesn't quite fit my style preference.

Comment

I have the navy Thompson, and it does have a bit of sheen to it. To me, though, it's not like the bright and shiny cheap suits I have seen at the thrift store. To each his own, though.

Comment

I agree. It isn't as nearly as bad as an actual cheap suit (the Thompson is a great quality suit). But was using the example as a reference point to describe the type of effect that I was seeing a little bit of.

Comment

I agree with the above, my navy wool Thompson has a small amount of sheen to it, but I would not describe it as "shiny." I think the navy, at least, is a brighter, more saturated, more variegated blue than most solid blue-black navy suits, which might contribute to the appearance of a sheen.
              Ben

Comment

I think its exactly that. The material is more of a vibrant blue than a darker navy. I would describe it as bright, not shiny.

Comment

I think its exactly that. The material is more of a vibrant blue than a darker navy. I would describe it as bright not shiny.

Comment

I would agree with the comments regarding the shade of blue, but there is definitely some sheen to it as well. I wouldn't use the word shiny though. I noticed it in the store the first time I saw the suit. I own they mid-grey wool version and haven't noticed any sheen to it at all. I'll take a closer look when I get it back from the tailor.
                    Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

I'll put up some photos when I get mine, it shipped last week. On the side: JCF says the pants won't ship til July...any chance they'll get to me sooner than that?

Comment

Working...
                      X