Help! I want this suit but need tie suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I want this suit but need tie suggestions

A buddy of mine called to tell me to make sure that I stop by JCP this week because he has picked up seven new dress shirts. The prices ranged from $7-$15 on sale. So I followed his advice and checked it out. While browsing the suit clearance section I found this...

for about $75. I tried it on and the fit is very good for OTR. I want to get it but I have to wear suit and tie to work everyday. I am turning to my more dapper and stylish brethren for tie suggestions. Please help a brotha out.

Is the suit brown or charcoal? Either way, you can't go wrong with a solid, textured blue, or really a solid textured anything. Houndstooth (if it's small enough) would really work with it too. I know it's a bit boring, but it keeps a plaid suit grounded. I just picked up my first plaid suit and I'm actually surprised how many things go with it. I've for the most part avoided repp ties, but I think even they would work if done so carefully. Avoid plaid and gingham, I think, but go for it. In conclusion, I'm rambling, and you can wear anything with it as long as you watch the scale. Plaid suits are awesome.

Comment

I just got this suit too, and agree, it's awesome! Can't beat it for $75, and the construction is really nice. Definitely a winter suit, due to the heavier weight wool. It should be fine to break up too, wearing just the pants and/or just the jacket on certain occasions.

Sandpointe - I agree with Timbo. I can see this with a blue or purple pin dot tie too, as well as solid textured deep red/orange. Anything really, probably even another plaid tie as long as the pattern is wide and or/subtle. Repp ties would work too, I think.

Any other expert opinions would be great too!

Comment

What's this about? ^

Another vote for a solid tie. What are some of the colors in the suit? I would pick one of those and find a nice solid that is similar.

Examples:

Comment

Originally posted by Timbo View Post
          Is the suit brown or charcoal? Either way, you can't go wrong with a solid, textured blue,
          Timbo has the right idea, and I like the examples that JoeG posted.

Comment

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

The main color is a dark brown. One of the main pattern colors is gray. I like the solid color suggestions. I think I was struggling because I was trying to find a couple of ties while I was there.

I like the pictures, I would have never thought to pair it with a striped shirt.

Comment

Blue and brown go well together. I'd try a solid navy tie - wool, silk, grenadine, etc. A navy/orange combo would be good too.

Comment

navy and burgundy ties would look great with it.

Comment

Working...
                X