Charcoal blazer - what pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal blazer - what pants?

I purchased the charcoal J. Crew. Ludlow blazer in Italian Wool, which is currently marked down $20 plus the 25% off going on right now:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...2324/42324.jsp

I already own the navy one, so the fit and finish is what I expected. It's a beautiful blazer. Only thing is now that I have it I wonder what I am going to wear it with. I'm also going through a bit of a wardrobe overhaul right now since my new job I'm starting next month is a bit more formal than my current (no jeans, even on Friday). I'm not much of a jeans guy even off work hours, and my current set of chinos looks better with the navy blazer anyways.

I'm contemplating buying some wool slacks to pair with my blazers, but I'm also thinking of just returning it and putting the money towards another suit, which I'd probably get more mileage out of, but I wanted to throw it out to you guys to see if there is any combo out there that would make me keep it since it is a good deal on the blazer. Thanks!

That blazer looks like an orphaned suit jacket to me. I would have trouble successfully pairing it with anything.

Comment

This might just be me, but I feel like dark grey isn't a great color for a sleek-looking wool blazer. Looks too much like an orphaned suit jacket and you can't pair it with the most basic wool trouser color of grey. Navy blazers, on the other hand, typically have distinctive buttons and patch pockets, so they work well as stand alone pieces.

I'd personally put the money towards a suit (or buy the matching pants, if they make them) or a grey jacket that has more identifiably sport coat-ish characteristics: a pattern, a less sleek texture/material, etc.

Comment

Let's say you're sold on the jacket. (Like bruschetta and Idle would personally prefer something different, but we all have our own taste). You've got to go lighter, or else the colors will look all muddled. Light grey wool trousers would work, and you could wear them with the navy blazer, too. Just make sure they aren't close to the charcoal shade. Maybe you could pull off camel... But that might look odd. You could do the #menswear thing and wear bright chinos, like a reddish or light blue color. But that's got limited use. Any other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
          That blazer looks like an orphaned suit jacket to me. I would have trouble successfully pairing it with anything.
          +1. Maybe if you swapped out the buttons for horn or something it would look more like a blazer. Even then you're going to have a hard time pairing it with anything other than jeans.

Comment

well you could do jeans or navy pants. grey/dark grey/charcoal blazers are hard to match pants with

Comment

light grey would work as well. you could do a monochromatic thing with light grey trousers, the blazer, another shade of grey cardigan/v-neck, a grey tie. It would look very Thom Browne-ish.

Comment

Thanks guys. I decided to just return it and put the money towards a suit and wanted to update. I also felt it was good timing to bump this as well since Joe featured the blazer on the front page today in the J. Crew spring sale post.

Comment

Good call. I've been thinking about my blazers lately and I'm glad I read this thread because I do think a charcoal grey blazer doesn't really have a place

Comment

It would be a little like what you'd pair with a navy blazer. Lighter grey trousers, blue jeans, white jeans (!), perhaps the right shade of brown trousers, maybe even some tan or light brown chinos.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                      white jeans
                      Banned for 24 hours.*

Ian, you were ahead of the front page curve! A dark charcoal in a rough fabric such as tweed might be a good alternative. The smooth wool and light shade are what make pairing that jacket difficult.

*(Not really.)

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                        I agree, I was debating on buying this same jacket but couldn't get over this factor.

Comment

Working...
                        X