Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dressier shoes with jeans and rougher blazer fabric for the Business Mullet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dressier shoes with jeans and rougher blazer fabric for the Business Mullet...

So a recent thread asking about Trunk Club (TC) got me thinking about their different products and service and since I liked them a long time ago on Facebook I still get some sort of update on there but I never look at them. Today I noticed they had something a few days ago about dress shoes and jeans with a pair of expensive pebble-grained wingtips on top of dark denim jeans... curious, I clicked on the link and it took me to their blog (didn't even now they had one). In reading the article, I walked away a little enlightened and thought- "Does the Dappered forum talk enough about concepts or is this just a place to get some ideas about what's good." Plus, I reconsidered my comments about the stylist over at TC, thinking that maybe I was a bit too harsh on the fine people over there when I suggest "... what do young girls know?". I dug into the other topics on the blog about the 6 essentials and saw that it's in-line with everything Joe and his team advocate on the main site as well as Put This On (PTO) and a few others. Though TC might not be as in-depth as Dappered and PTO. But the two points that caught my eye form TC's blog were the notion of a texture in shoes (other than sneakers) being a key to looking good with jeans. Here's a quote they provided from shoemaker Scarpe DiBianco...

Here’s what Bill had to say:
    “There are some rules that our fathers lived by such as you should always wear a black shoe with a black suit; loafers should never be worn with suits; etc. I do not adhere to many of these rules.
    Our generation has evolved our lifestyle to where jeans are a staple in our wardrobes. I wear (jeans) every few days and absolutely wear a dress shoe with them, especially monk straps because the straps make the shoes very versatile, in that they can be worn both casually and dressy.
    Dress lace ups are a bit trickier if the toe is very plain or the color is very conservative. I generally opt for lace-ups that have a pebble grain, interesting medallion on the toe, or a more fashionable color.”

Here's the link to the topic
    http://blog.trunkclub.com/post/46010...oes-with-jeans

This is an interesting point to me since I am trying to make my look better in both a casual sense and professional sense.

I don't think they are saying something that isn't said on here already, but I do think the concept of casual shoes with jeans (any color) is not overtly stated here as like it is there in the TC blog. This concept is something that I gleaned from reading the posts on the main site and people's comments and threads here.

Plus, their other blog that got my attention is on Blazers with jeans needing to match in texture ergo the Hopsack Navy blazer ands it's courser weave. TC suggests that due to the rough texture of jeans the weave on the hopsack style blazer pairs better. We all know the navy blazer is back but the texture isn't something I've seen talked about much, unlike the shoulder pad debate and lining. Which makes me think... am I missing something with my smooth, albeit, cotton unstructured blazer? According to TC it would appear that I am. I admit, that as I stop and think about it, it seems logical about the textures needing to compliment each other. It should also be said that the school of thought(SOT) at TC is suit jackets are not paired with jeans. I will say in looking at the jacket on TCs blog really got me thinking... YA, that's a great looking jacket (probably cost $500+) A simple google search on Hopsacks suggests these are brass button blazers (unlike the one featured on TC). I have to look at the navy one I have in the back of my closet that has the brass buttons and see what the weave is like on that- maybe I'll pull it back out and change the buttons...

Here's the link to their Hopsack Blazer with jeans blog:
    http://blog.trunkclub.com/post/45834...blazer-hopsack

Any thoughts on these two concepts?
    Last edited by ajk170; March 29, 2013, 03:15 PM.

I do think textures complimenting each other is very important. I dress pretty casually and all of my sport coats are tweeds, which due to its rougher texture pair really well with jeans. I agree with suit jackets not being worn with jeans, especially smooth worsted wool ones.

As far as your cotton blazer, its cotton and inherently casual. It will work best with jeans or chinos.

Comment

I am inclined to agree that cotton is casual, but I'm trying to look at it from the TC's perspective of the smoothness of the material though they do touch on the fabric itself but do not go into the details of wool vice cotton. When I look at the weave on my cotton blazer- from a distance it looks pretty smooth- up close, really close, I can tell a difference in weave from my suit jacket- but other than on a crowded ed elevator or in Japan, guys don't get that close to me. Unlike the Hopsack (or tweed or corduroy- which sounded like a faux-pas at TC as well with jeans) whose weave seems to be rather obvious from a distance...

In saying all this, I'm wondering if cotton, though casual, having a smooth finish really isn't as casual as we suggest and should the cottons have a rougher texture to pair with jeans. My claiborne would go well with chinos for sure - but I"m starting to re-think the jean business and wonder if I should inlclude another blue blazer into the mix that has a rougher look to pair better with jeans... I don't remember seeing alot of comments on the main site about texture to the various blazers though- maybe I missed that part...

Comment

There are more factors that determine how casual or not a jacket is besides the material. It could depend on the pattern, buttons, construction etc. Almost any material can look casual or formal depending on the details.

Cotton though, will always be casual imo. Maybe get yourself another blue sport coat, its so versatile and there are a lot of patterns out there that you really cant go wrong with having more than one.

Comment

Working...
        X