Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf attire

Hey all!

Wondering if there are any fellow golfers here in the dappered universe? If so, wondering what you guys have found to be good brands for golf clothing? I typically wear regular chino shorts and polo. I have some black nike golf shoes, that I'm looking to upgrade this year.

Comfort is number one. I try to wear clothes that will have as minimal impact on my movement as possible. Usually wear light shorts (Got most of mine from Jcrew Factory) and a polo. For the polo I look for something fitted so there isnt extra material. I have some Polo RL and JL ones I got on major discount as my go to's. Just clean, simple. I also think that unless youre playing at a high end conservative course, its a good place to have some fun with colours and patterns. So I usually wear either a colourful top or bottom, or something with some fun pattern to it.

Comment

Nike- The Tiger W line is great. Some of it's fitted and super light - most sporting clothes are more light and moisture wicking so that's better, to me, than my cotton polos. And Nike TW lines is minimal badges and no "swoosh" so I can go to the bar afterwords and not feel like I just came from the gym. I find Dicks Sporting goods a good place and now that I've discovered the gift card places dicks runs up to 20% discounted cards. Well worth it. I don't wear shorts when I play golf and I have several Nike pants- all are great. Even if it's 100+ I'm in pants... why anybody plays in that extreme heat, I don't know but I'm sure people do it.

My current shoes - had them for a few years and wear great, are Foot-Joys and I'd happily pay the $$$ figure again for them. Golf shoes may seem like an odd expense- but if you play a lot or in a league, their easily worth the money.

Cutter Buck seems to be the brand of many pro-shops

Gloves- Titilest

Hats- My Alma Mater or Titilest

Since I'm a high handicapper - I don't wear anything that makes me stand out- I have enough issues with my game that I don't need anymore comments other than what I already get ...
      Last edited by ajk170; March 29, 2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Koodos on the pant wearing. I almost always walk when I play, so I try to keep as cool as possible. I do enjoy playing in chillier weather. I too have nike pants for those times, and find them to have a great fit and weight. The TW line is definitely good, and worth it if you can find it on sale. otherwise you have to shell out a decent chunk of change for it.

Comment

Focas- That's a good point on the TW line it is expensive ... I guess for the limited times I get out to play I should really reconsider the $$$ I'm dropping on this sport... sorry I wasn't better help on the issue!

Comment

I have a few pairs of bonobos shorts, which is the color I throw into the mix. But ajk - you make a great point. I too, am a high handicapper, so maybe I should tone down the bright colors!

I'm starting to look into getting a new pair of golf shoes, and am pretty intrigued by these crocs x hank haney (I know, crocs! Jesus... but they have a pretty good look to them I think, and they get some pretty great reviews). http://www.amazon.com/crocs-Bradyn-B...+shoes+for+men

Also, looking at some more retro styles: http://www.amazon.com/adidas-Mens-Sa...mba+golf+shoes

I've found that all gloves seem to work the same for me, so I try to find the cheapest possible. And, my clubs are slowly becoming all Taylormade, so I wear a Taylormade cap, and then my Rayban clubmasters; the wayfarers just feel like too much on the course.

Comment

Naw AJK the TW line is still a good suggestion. It is definitely a good option. As for not wearing bright colours because youre a higher handicap, I dont think you need to worry about it. I dont think 99.9% of people care about what youre shooting vs how you look. Wear what youre comfortable and confident in. Golf is an extremely mental game, and what you are wearing should be what makes you feel most comfortable. No matter how good you are, someone there will be better, and you can use the same argument if youre a 6 handicap or a 26 handicap. Someone that is a scratch golfer could look at the 6 handicap and make comments, just like someone that is a 6 handicap can look and say things about a 26. Fact of the matter is, almost everyone is focused on how shit their last shot was, and how bad they want to punch something, and not so focused on another 4somes attire vs their skill.

I got my handicap down to about a 6-8 over the last couple years, after being around a 13-14 for a few years straight. I felt amazing about myself, but I overheard a couple guys on a teebox near a green I was on insult me for a bad chip. At first it kinda made me upset, because i knew I worked hard for it, and I wasnt trying to look like a pro or anything, i was just trying to play my game, but then i realized, who really gives a shit. Just focus on your game, if youre out with friends, enjoy their company, go for a beer, and just keep trying to make your next round better! Wear what you want, shoot what you want, its the worlds best sport/hobby, not a job or competition (unless youre in a league). Just have fun.

Comment

@ focus- you're right on all points... the old man's league I play in now and my wife's old man should listen to you... I've settled on the fact that up until last year when I started in the league, I sucked because for years I didn't play but 3-4 times a summer. Not nearly enough to get better at the game. My father in-law always tells me, I may play like crap, but at least I look good doing it!

Comment

Getting ready to go on my annual spring golf trip next weekend... Capped off by attending the Monday practice Round at the Masters... With the rough winter we have had, I'm pretty pumped!

I've found (thankfully) that golf clothing is starting to trend back towards fitting well. For a while it was getting ridiculous how big and baggy the shirts were, and how much you had to size down.

Travis Mathew makes some real nice golf clothing that fits well. Oakley has a real nice golf line too. I have found both on clearance racks at my local Golf Galaxy. It's kind of like thrifting, you just have to time it right if you want a deal.

Comment

I try to wear light weight pants as often as I can in the summer. I admit i sometimes revert to solid khaki or navy shorts on occasion. Please NO cargo shorts! I'm a marylander so I love my Under Armour. I also like Iliac. I used to wear plaids and patterns but I've gotten more conservative lately. I still try to match everything of course. My bag is probably my most decorated item. My bag itself, and just about everything that goes in it (headcovers/towels/tags/grips/etc) are all Terps colors.
                    My cocktail videos >

Comment

I golf one to two times a week. I really don't let fashion creep into my golf game. Honestly, I am not too concerned with fit for my golf attire, as long as they are not overly huge. I tend have a pretty big swing and I hate anything tight fitting. I constantly have to re-tuck my shirt in every two holes and late in the back nine, I usually don't even bother. I really like Nike shirts these days. They seem to be a good overall fit for me. I tend to stay with pretty basic solids and some with stripes. I am not too particular with shorts. I will wear any of the golf brand shorts (Under Armour, Nike, Addidas, Puma). I never wear regular chino cotton shorts on the course for comfort and since it gets hot here in Texas during the golf season. I have a couple of golf pants, but they stay in the closet from March to December. Everything I buy I usually find on sale at the major golf stores (PGA Tour Superstore, Goldsmith, Golf Galaxy). Dick's is also great because their coupons will work on everything. I have even found that when there are manufactures restrictions, they still will discount it (clubs included). I recently got some great Nike shoes for around $80 that were originally $225. They are really comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                      X