Business casual upgrade seems to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business casual upgrade seems to work

So I upgraded my game recently with a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes and the addition of jackets to my usual business casual wardrobe. Today was the first day I had my oxblood/black saddle shoes on with a houndstooth blazer and I never have got so many positive comments.

Some interesting observations
    the ladies totally notice the shoes. My boss and her boss are female so this is something I will pay attention too
    I have been wearing jackets for a couple of months but one person only noticed today when the whole look went together
    nicer details and a top quality shirt seemed to get the notice of even the senior managers. The saddle shoes get noticed way more than the newer black cap toes
    one quip was about "you aren't quite at X's level". X is the super big boss around here (who wears excellent tailored clothing). Any comparison to him is a good sign.

I think this is going to get expensive!

Thanks to everyone here for your advice it seems to finally be paying off.

Tod

Shoes are just one of those things that women seem to notice a lot - perhaps more than anything else in your normal wardrobe - for reasons that evade pretty much all men. I have no idea why. But it's true - as you've experienced.

Comment

I get a lot of comments on my socks. I have some Happy Socks and they always garner attention and comments. Also ties seem to get a lot of attention but most stay away from the main articles of clothing in terms of compliments. Maybe it is the conservative nature of my company but even at 80% women not a ton of comments on everyday wear.

Comment

Congrats on your improvement. I'm glad you're feeling happier and more confident with your evolving style.

I do want to caution you about becoming hung up on "getting compliments." The reason your saddle shoes get more compliments than black captoes is because multi-colored saddle shoes are much more noticeable. People, especially women who know little about men's fashion, tend to compliment items that stand out the most. The same goes for JBarwick's post about ties and socks often earning compliments. Very often "I like your socks" doesn't mean "I appreciate the cohesion of your outfit and your mixing of patterns and materials." It means "oh, your socks stand out. How about that."

Thus, don't wear your saddle shoes all the time for the compliments. You will become "the saddle shoe guy" and rather than enjoying your style, your co-workers will always look to you for loud shoes. Everyone knows a guy like this who wears loud ties or loud jackets; you don't respect his fashion sense, instead he becomes a caricature.

Cheers, and best of luck in your continuing fashion evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by AJG Esq View Post
          The same goes for JBarwick's post about ties and socks often earning compliments. Very often "I like your socks" doesn't mean "I appreciate the cohesion of your outfit and your mixing of patterns and materials." It means "oh, your socks stand out. Ho
          Thus, don't wear your saddle shoes all the time for the compliments. You will become "the saddle shoe guy" and rather than enjoying your style, your co-workers will always look to you for loud shoes. Everyone knows a guy like this who wears loud ties or loud jackets; you don't respect his fashion sense, instead he becomes a caricature.
          Great advice and I am not dumping my oxfords and cap toes yet <grin>. It is the nature of the complement I am watching too - one of them today was about how I was looking good lately and how classically English my style was (my self and the person in question have English parents). From him I know that means professional, from others it might mean "like a university professor".

Your point is especially well taken as it seems to be on days where I am a lot more traditional that they higher ups say something, my more fashion forward days tend to be things my peers comment on. Customers only see the traditional me.

Comment

Congrats on your improvement. I'm glad you're feeling happier and more confident with your evolving style.

I do want to caution you about becoming hung up on "getting compliments." The reason your saddle shoes get more compliments than black captoes is because multi-colored saddle shoes are much more noticeable. People, especially women who know little about men's fashion, tend to compliment items that stand out the most. The same goes for JBarwick's post about ties and socks often earning compliments. Very often "I like your socks" doesn't mean "I appreciate the cohesion of your outfit and your mixing of patterns and materials." It means "oh, your socks stand out. How about that."

so true.

Comment

I could have not said this better myself!

Comment

I agree about the importance of shoes but I also value comfort. I sometimes dress down in the shoe department by going with fairly casual things like desert boots, even while keeping the jacket, nice shirt and tie, etc. I figure if I'm comfortable (without getting sloppy, e.g., sneakers), I'll look good, too.

Comment

Working...
                X