Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The College Shoe Conundrum

Hi all,

I'm a freshman at an undergrad school in Boston, and I live in California during the summer. I'm trying to upgrade my wardrobe, and I'm working on the shoes first. Basically, while I have a lot of shoes, I was wondering what you guys would recommend with regard to disposing of old ones, or possibly buying new ones. I've put a lot of my money recently into shoes, so it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts. Hears what I have so far...

Fall:

Clarks Desert boots (Oakwood suede): http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Origina.../dp/B0007MCUTK

Florsheim Hawleys: http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/12085.html

Lands End Moc Toe Lace Ups (black): http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/CrosbyMocToeLaceUpBoot~227294_-1.html

Winter:

From what I've heard, winter is constant snow here, and so I picked up some lovely warm snow boots. Maybe not the best looking, but super functional.

Sorel Caribous (black on bottom, grey on top): http://www.sorel.com/CARIBOU%E2%84%A2-%28Mens%29-%7C-281-%7C-14/803298141550,default,pd.html

Spring: see fall

Summer:

Sperry Topsiders (Sahara): http://www.shoebuy.com/sperry-top-sider-authentic-original/29208/115280

I also have these shoes that I keep if I know they're going to get messed up:

Tommy Hilfigers (not the same, but similar): http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/EC1252205-5144732/Tommy+Hilfiger/Navy/Men's+Parker.aspx

Any tips/advice? Thanks in advance, this is my first post on the threads!

you look like you're set with your selection there..

i need to pick up one of those Sorels for this winter.

throw in a converse there! you can pick them up cheap online or at an outlet.

Comment

That seems like a pretty solid shoe collection (much better than I had when I was in college). The only thing I see missing is a good, solid pair of dress shoes, but I think you won't find much need for them in your current situation. You can take your time and save up for some good ones. Or else spend some time in thrift stores, and you'll more than likely come up with a gently-worn pair of classic dress shoes.

If I were you, I would probably sit tight and concentrate on developing good shoe care habits for now. If you haven't already, invest in some buffing brushes, saddle soap, shoe polish, waterproofing cream, shoe trees, etc. Good leather shoes should last you a couple of decades with the proper care.

Ben

Comment

Thanks guys! Ben, where would you recommend going for stuff like that? Particularly waterproofing cream and trees, I already have polish.

Comment

Good spots this board has identified for shoe trees:

DSW: $15 / pair

Nordstrom Rack (if you have one nearby): $12-13 / pair?

Jos. A Bank: They had a sale where you buy two get one free that came out to around $12 / pair

For the other stuff, Amazon.com is pretty good, or you could find a local cobbler who'll have that stuff too.

Comment

I do like your selections alot, but as a fellow Bostonian, give up the Sorel's for some Duck Boots from LL. Bean. They are impervious to the harshness that is NEW ENGLAND weather tried and true, case in point we had a now storm that has left half the state w/o electricity and forced towns to cancel halloween trick or treating....

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

Comment

This may be the first time I've ever disagreed with you Maxman. I know a lot of people are on the duck boot train but I prefer the Sorels. Plus if he already has them, I say stick with them.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Love my bean boots, but I wouldn't dump what you've got

Comment

Yeah sorry MaxMan but I'm going to keep the Sorels. They're incredibly comfy and while they're hardly the peak of style, they aren't TOO bad.

Comment

@GregS I def completely missed the " i picked up" the OP wrote. I still wouldn't change my choice but I am def not return something I already bought. In any instance, very well done. Your shoe game is serious for a college student man. What school you going to?

I>0<I

Comment

Agree on the note that you've got a great collection going. My first year in college was still spent mostly in ugly Steve madden sneakers and the classic Pumas with the stripe up the side.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Lmao, my first yr was straight thugged out. Lol. I grew up in the hood and pretty much was ignorant to what true style was so I wore baggy ass jeans oversized shirts timberland boots or air jordans. I still wear Jordans but mainly to play basketball. O the old days how I loathe thee.

I>0<I

Comment

My college footwear were combat boots every day

Comment

I'm at Tufts. I started getting into this whole dressing well deal about a year ago and I'm fairly pleased with how it's going so far!

Comment

When I was in college I wore a pair of Puma H Streets, or if it was hot, a pair of flip flops, or if it was cold, a pair of hiking boots. Classy, I know. I did have one pair of relatively decent black leather shoes to wear with my concert black for band and orchestra concerts, which I found on clearance at DSW.

Most of my clothing consisted of jeans and t-shirts from the various organizations I was in. In my defense, I was dead broke and at least I wore the correct sizes.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X