No announcement yet.

White Jeans Versus White Linen Pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with linen pants has not been good. Same with linen shirts. It might take more than 45 seconds, but in very short order, I look like a rumpled mess.

Yes, other material wrinkles. Everything does--cotton, wool, whatever. But linen gets exceedingly wrinkled, at least in my experience.

Plus, not that this should be the be all and end all, but I cannot think of one style icon I admire--Steve McQueen, James Dean, Cary Grant, Daniel Craig, et al--who was ever captured in a photo wearing linen. Can you? I mean, what does that tell you?

Anyway, to each his own. This MB steers way clear of the stuff.
    Last edited by Duvel; March 26, 2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Can't imagine wearing linen unless I was on an island somewhere. Just evokes that sort of vibe. What kind of place makes you work outside in 100 degree weather and doesn't let you wear shorts? Either way, to each his own. I don't care about the wrinkling aspect as much as just the vibe linen clothes are going to give off.

Comment

Originally posted by Crims View Post
        Can't imagine wearing linen unless I was on an island somewhere. Just evokes that sort of vibe. What kind of place makes you work outside in 100 degree weather and doesn't let you wear shorts? Either way, to each his own. I don't care about the wrinkling aspect as much as just the vibe linen clothes are going to give off.
        Good point. It evokes 1980s Miami Vice style, for me.

Comment

What about linen blends? How are those?
          5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Do they have linen in them? There's your answer. Just say no to linen.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
              Don't have white ones but I personally love my linen and linen blend pants.
              +1. Love my light tan linen pants in the summer. I've wanted a cigar linen suit ever since I saw this: http://dieworkwear.com/post/19240786953/cigar-linen
              I
              have 2 Richard James linen shirts (1 blue, 1 white) and a blue & white striped Hilditch & Key linen shirt and all see heavy rotation in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Crims View Post
                Places that you normally work inside and are business casual environments but you are always on call for a potential trip outside (which can last anywhere from 30 minutes to 6-7 hours). I've been caught in long-sleeve button downs, dress pants, and dress shoes before when called out and not fun. Especially getting aviation fuel on said pants. Granted, I don't have a typical job.

If you live in an area that gets hot for more than a month (south of the Mason Dixon line) you won't have anyone fuss at you for wearing linen in the summer.
                Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Originally posted by Redford View Post
                  What about linen blends? How are those?
                  Lands End's linen/cotton pants are supposed to be good. http://thesilentist.com/post/2705460...otton-trousers

Comment

when I wear white pants and my lab coat I look like Colonel Sanders

needless to say I do not wear them in the pharmacy anymore lol

Comment

@ Duval- Wow! no love for linen... it's hard to handle the heat in jeans... so does this mean you'd take cargo shorts past the knees over linen pants?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                        +1. Love my light tan linen pants in the summer. I've wanted a cigar linen suit ever since I saw this: http://dieworkwear.com/post/19240786953/cigar-linen
                        I
                        have 2 Richard James linen shirts (1 blue, 1 white) and a blue & white striped Hilditch & Key linen shirt and all see heavy rotation in the summer.
                        @Fred- Why do you have to suggest these things?! Now I'm sold on this and the hunt is on! Thanks for the great suggestion! Plus, linen in the summer is a great look and my preferred way to stay cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                          I
                          Now I need to look for cigar linen. That looks great.
                          I checked this morning and my linen pants are a cotton blend. So just like the ones I linked to, but different colors.
                          I really don't think they wrinkle much more than my 100% cotton pants do (I don't really iron my pants at all though). The one thing though is they wrinkle like mad if you dry them in the dryer and don't hang them up or fold them nicely immediately. After that first time I just hang dry them.
                          Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

I have a tough time with this come summer also. I did pick up a pair of off white color jeans from J Crew factory and look forward to wearing them this summer. I feel white pants are for golf and thats it. As for linen, if its hot and you can bare the wrinkles, then why not but not white. Also J Crew factory has some summer wieght chinos too that are very light in fabric.....

Comment

Working...
                            X