Cocktail attire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocktail attire...

I'm going to a fundraising event soon, will be (I think) a mostly younger crowd, with some entertainment, appetizers, mingling, etc. The invite said "cocktail attire", and after some Googling I found a wide variety of opinions on what that entails. What do you guys think? I just bought a charcoal suit online which is arriving soon, but unless will probably need tailoring I might not have time to do before the event.

I did just pick up a nicely fitting charcoal herringbone blazer, would that do? I was thinking of pairing it with nice chinos (I've got khaki and a grey that is lighter than the jacket), white dress shirt, and eggplant-purple wool tie or black knit tie.

I think either a suit or a blazer / sportcoat and trousers... tie or no tie, depending on how you feel. I think the big difference between cocktail attire and more formal attire is that you can be more colorful with your shirt, pocket square, and, optionally, tie.

Comment

Agree with JC on cocktail attire being more colorful.

Unless you're going really casual with the shirt (plaid, checkered, gingham, etc) and tie (wool or knit like you mentioned), I would rather wear a blazer than a suit. Is it an arts event? You certainly can wear anything at those. I've seen tuxes to jeans w/ ripped T's (starving artists).

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Working...
      X