No announcement yet.

Member's only Jackets...ok to wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MO Jackets have a kitsch quality to them. Largely associated with the 80's, but then embraced well after as a joke. The epitome of 80's mass produced indulgence.
    It'll always remind me of Diff'rent Strokes, Silver Spoons and Knight Rider.

My theory is that clothes were well-made back then, hence the longevity.

@Acoustic, to answer your question, I would say go forth, young man! I think a henley, striped t-shirt, or retro sports tee would put a modern spin on it.
    Wear it with swag.
    Last edited by RiveDroit; March 7, 2013, 10:52 AM.

Comment

The jackets are really similar in style to the harrington/barracude jackets that seem to have been around forever. I have been wanting to get a tan/khaki colored baracuda but havent bit yet because of the price. Anyone have anything similar to those?

Comment

Originally posted by sgates0 View Post
        The jackets are really similar in style to the harrington/barracude jackets that seem to have been around forever. I have been wanting to get a tan/khaki colored baracuda but havent bit yet because of the price. Anyone have anything similar to those?
        I have a couple jackets from BR which are pretty similar to the Harrington/Baracuta style. I too want a *real* one, probably navy with the red plaid (Tartan?) lining - so choice; or even the more neutral/versatile khaki toned one. J.Crew had a red one (a real one) on clearance sometime last year, but I didn't want red. Bummer.

Many, many brands made Baracuta knock-offs through the years, as the style is seemingly timeless. Classy and cool. I have a red one of these knock-offs, which I thrifted for $3. It even copied the plaid interior. Not anywhere near the quality, but it's a great kick-around jacket.

Here's the BR one(s). I snagged them both marked wayyyyyyyyyy down last year.

The grey one kinda a Harrington/trench hybrid. The wrist/cuff straps look trench to me, and the material has that kinda rain-ready look/feel too. The front pockets are certainly different too, sorta field jacket-like. Dunno.
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-BANANA-R...p2047675.l2557 (couldn't find the original BR listing)

The black one is much more typical.
        http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...eID=brafcid105

Again, neither of these *is* a Harrignton/Barracuta, but they're similar options, until I procure the real deal for myself. Might wanna check them out.

Comment

This reminded me that I have my dad's Members Only Jacket but never tried it on. Doesn't look too bad, but unfotrunately it says Members Only on it. I also found a decades old Twinkie in the pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by woofermazing View Post
            This reminded me that I have my dad's Members Only Jacket but never tried it on. Doesn't look too bad, but unfotrunately it says Members Only on it. I also found a decades old Twinkie in the pocket.
            LOL! Stop digging in those pockets. Now! There may be some more items from your Dad's Members Only days hidden in there that aren't as innocent as a Twinkie.

I take that back; keep digging! Maybe there's a hip old pocket knife or money clip or something in there. Cool that you have his jacket, whether you wear it or not.

Comment

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was skimming through Amazon's selection of Harrington jackets, and some of them looked like Members Only jackets. Which then prompted a google search where I found this thread. Preamble aside, what's the difference between the two styles where one is considered cool and the other is/was ridiculed?

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
                Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was skimming through Amazon's selection of Harrington jackets, and some of them looked like Members Only jackets. Which then prompted a google search where I found this thread. Preamble aside, what's the difference between the two styles where one is considered cool and the other is/was ridiculed?
                The history between the two, which is mentioned in part for the Members Only side earlier in the thread. That, and people like McQueen wore a harrington, so it's seen as cool. I think both can look good, with the right outfit. I own two MO jackets I got back a while, and while I don't wear them a ton, it's fun to break them out once in a while when a light jacket is needed.

Comment

I think that it is okay to where a Members Only jacket, but only, and this is important, if you are a member.

Comment

Working...
                  X