Member's only Jackets...ok to wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Member's only Jackets...ok to wear?

Picked up a jacket that fit me pretty well today. Turns out it's a member's only jacket. There seems to be some social stigma attached to this brand. Ok to wear? Or something to try and avoid all together?

Nah it's no problem. You can just claim you are wearing it ironically.

Comment

Fit pictures?

Comment

Does it fit you? Do you like it? If you answer yes to both those then wear it in good health.

Comment

What club, is it prevalent in your area, is the pattern so distinct that people would come up to you requesting the secret hand-shake?
          "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
          I>0<I

Comment

You can wear it in a hipster sense, ie dark jeans, plaid flannel shirt, canvas shoes. If the famous black label is on it, prepare to get plenty of nods of approval from youngsters and "I remember those..." comments from the older folk.

Comment

@Rivedroit- Agreed, that's the surest way to wear it and make it look good.

Comment

I've seen those style of jackets make a comeback so I say yes.

Comment

I own three of them, a red one, a black one, and a powder blue one. I've worn them at '80s parties, including my 40th b-day party thrown by my wife, and her 40th b-day party thrown by me. We... OK, *I* kinda get into that kinda goofy stuff.

I would post some pics of me in full-on '80s getup, as some WIWT'83 pics, but I'm afraid I'd be booted from this forum.

Look, don't take my reply as negative, as I LOVED these jackets back when they were popular (the '80s). Sure, they have made some comebacks, especially with some younger Hollywood types (Zack Effron or whatever, Beiber/Bieber, etc.), and *you* might just be able to rock it and pull it off. I'm afraid that if I wore mine as normal wardrobe choices, I might get the "look who's livin' in the '80s" looks from folks.

Another problem is that many elderly dudes seem to like to wear them. I saw a pristine white one on a 70+ y.o. dude at our Church's picnic last year. I was so tempted to see if he'd sell it to me, as another '80s themed function was on the horizon. I chickened out.

So, in summary... IMO, you're pretty youthful (that is a positive comment - I mean nothing more), and you seem quite fit. Therefore, I think that *you* could very likely pull it off. Give it a whirl! If someone rags on you about it, send them to your WIWT pics here at Dappered, and that should shut them up.

Comment

fyi, they sell these at Target: http://www.target.com/p/members-only...s/-/A-14101936
                    Bought one for my 21 y/o cousin and he loves it.

Comment

@yoyo: thanks for giving me the courage to try it!
                      @Rive: Hmm don't have flannel shirts but I'll give it a try with a plaid or white shirt next time

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                        There seems to be some social stigma attached to this brand. Ok to wear?
                        Now I must ask, what social stigma is attached to this brand?

Comment

Members Only jackets were really trendy during, and still strongly associated with, the 1980s.
                          Ben

Comment

B/c they're mostly tied to a specific era (and not altogether a great era, style-wise), they don't seem very "classic" in the sense that something like, say, the Baracuta Harrington is. If you like it, wear it. But if you're interested in something that is (at least in my opinion) a little better for its timelessness and classiness, go with a Baracuta.
                            Last edited by Duvel; March 7, 2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                              Another problem is that many elderly dudes seem to like to wear them.
                              I can confirm this to be true. My father still wears his.

Comment

Working...
                              X