Suiting Advice Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suiting Advice Requested

I am planning on investing in a well-made, classic navy two-button suit that will hopefully last me a long time, and was hoping you guys could give me your advice. My budget for this purchase is basically up to $600. The three suits I am considering at the moment are:

J Crew Ludlow in Italian Wool: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/Th...8130/28130.jsp

Suitsupply Napoli Navy Plain: http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-...=28&cgid=Suits

Indochino Essential Navy 3 Piece: http://www.indochino.com/product/The...y-3-Piece-Suit

The Suitsupply and Indochino suits are priced about the same. I have a personal code from JCrew (expires tomorrow) for 20% that apparently works on suiting, so the Ludlow would come out to around $550.

I was hoping that those of you with experience with these 3 suits could recommend one, and a brief explanation why. Otherwise, if anyone has another option I should consider, please suggest!

Right now all I have suit-wise is the JCrew Factory Thompson in charcoal, and have had my eyes on a nice, navy suit for a while.

Thanks for your help!

By the way, the price on the JCrew suit includes tax. With tax, the other two options aren't far behind, price wise.

Comment

I really like my J. Crew ludlow suit. I have it in charcoal, not navy, but I would recommend it. It is the only suit I've ever tried that fit almost perfectly right off the rack. I didn't need it tucked in at the sides at all. I just had some tailoring done for personal preferences, like bringing the sleeves up to show a little more shirt cuff and zeroing in on my inseam.

Comment

I'm also getting ready to invest in a navy suit and I've already decided on the SuitSupply Napoli navy plain. Indochino has too many horror stories floating around online about poor fit and construction while the Ludlow is simply overpriced since it's fused in comparison to SS' half-canvas construction on the Napoli.

Comment

The Ludlow is actually half canvas just like SS. Link (click through a bit).

Comment

If I were about to spend ~$500-600 on a suit right now, my first option would be SuitSupply. I've seen them in person a couple of times and love the way they look, and they've gotten fantastic reviews. Agree w/ TomasR about Indochino, it's a hit or miss process, and also about the Ludlow - the "ludlow" name is marking up the price significantly. You'll get a similar fit with a good SuitSupply or Indochino purchase, and w/ SS it's canvassed (at least half). Additionally, and this is personal preference, the Ludlow's button stance is a little low for me.

Comment

Re the ludlow, watch for sales. I got mine for about $300 (!). Still can't believe it. It was one of those deals where I got to stack some discounts--actually my GF got it for me, and she stacked discounts for being a student, being a J Crew card holder, and the sale price. All in all, we got it for about half-price, plus free tailoring because it was purchased with a J Crew card.

Comment

Originally posted by TomasR View Post
                I'm also getting ready to invest in a navy suit and I've already decided on the SuitSupply Napoli navy plain. Indochino has too many horror stories floating around online about poor fit and construction while the Ludlow is simply overpriced since it's fused in comparison to SS' half-canvas construction on the Napoli.
                Not advocating for the Ludlow, but are you sure it's fused? This links seems to show that it's not: http://www.getkempt.com/storefront/a...udlow-shop.php

Napoli's a nice suit, but Suit Supply's navy is a bit lighter that a true classic navy suit and it's just a tad bit shiny. I have other Napolis but I had to return this one because it was just a bit much for my workplace.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the Suitsupply Napoli... Wish we had a store here in Cincinnati so I could check it out in person... @Losrockets, thanks for the heads up on the shade of navy/sheen!

Comment

Actually that was Chareth

Comment

Haha, My bad! Thanks Chareth!

Comment

LOL, no need to apologize.

Don't let my comment about their navy dissuade you from buying it if that's what you were looking for. The pictures on the Suit Supply website are fairly accurate (at least with the suit I tried last year); I'm sure like other makers their fabric may have variance from year-to-year. It's just that I was looking for a classic navy work suit, so it wasn't a good match for me. It's a striking color of darkish blue, one which you're not likely to find elsewhere in the US and it does have European flair, so if you're thinking about using this more socially, it might be awesome for you. As a work suit in a conservative industry, maybe not.

Comment

I would go with suitsupply because they have hot chicks on their website.

But for real, I would go with suitsupply especially if you can go see them in person.

Comment

Working...
                          X