"Wardrobe staples" you never wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Wardrobe staples" you never wear

For me it's white and light blue OCBDs. Since making a concerted effort to improve my style last June I've obtained two of each (including a white OCBD from Ratio) but find that given the choice between a basic OCBD and my LE Canvas chambray work shirt or plaid J Crew Factory shirt I'll choose the latter most days. Now, I work in a more casual office than most here and also work outdoors quite a bit, so maybe I just need to realize that much of the "classic menswear" advice given on sites like Put This On and here needn't apply to me for my day to day wardrobe. I know this is part of the learning process for finding your personal style, but it's still frustrating on days like today where I attempted to pair a light blue jcp OCBD (going for classic field clothing look) with rugged khaki work pants (Ben Davis) for working in the field and failing miserably because they don't match at all (shirt suited to office, pants to field). Does anyone else go through this crap?

I think you're overthinking the OCBD. It's casual enough to wear with pretty much anything. I actually usually wear my other shirts and save the OCBD's for times when I need something versatile that won't clash with whatever else I'm wearing.

Comment

I'll take your ratio OCBDs! I wear them with jeans, chinos, etc. Also view them as fairly casual

Comment

Not sure why but I just don't like OCBDs. It is simply the OCBD with tie look that kills it for me.

On topic I have no clue why I gave two pairs of black shoes.

Comment

I rarely wear white or light blue OCBD's, polo style shirts or tan khakis. I also stopped wearing watches as much since I started wearing a Nike Fuelband. Though I still wear my nice ones to dinner, weddings, outings.

Comment

The white dress shirt and the navy blazer. The white dress shirt without anything layered over it looks too formal to me and the blazer is more because I dont have one and am still getting comfortable with wearing blazers (my group of friends is pretty casually dressed).

Comment

I know navy blazers are a staple, but I'll never own one if it has brass or pewter buttons. I just don't like metal buttons.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ratio shirt and the jcp oxfords are some of the best-fitting shirts I own, but the fact of the matter is that most people in my line of work (and probably 99% of American men) see an OCBD and think "dress shirt." Basically I'm still trying to balance stylish with casual in my field clothing. To any guy on here and StyleForum I'd appear extremely casual with my OCBD tucked into high-rise work pants and Clarks DB but to your average field biologist or construction worker I'd be anything but.

Comment

I have an unstructured cotton blazer that I only rarely wear. When I want or need to wear a jacket, it's pretty infrequent that the cotton one makes more sense than my dressier wool or linen options. The cotton jacket might get a little more action this summer when it heats up.

Other staples I rarely wear? Black shoes. I own black balmorals but I almost invariably pick something brown when I suit up. I own one pair of semi-dressy black loafers that I haven't worn in over a year, and should probably just sell or donate (thrifted AEs).
                  Ben

Comment

Well My staples are Non iron blue, white, pink and some checkered; wash, hang, wear!

But staples that get less wear are the whites, blues, pinks etc that aren't non Iron and I'm in lazy mode.

Never worn is my OBDC, buttons on collars I don't like at all. Not a fan of oxford weave either, would rather have something that's either breathable or else has more of a sheen to it.

Comment

I don't wear many plain shirts. Just about all the ones I have in rotation are plaid, checkered, or striped. Polos are about the only shirts I wear without any pattern, even then I prefer my rugby shirts and polos with contrasting collars. I guess since I don't wear ties to work shirts are my way to be "loud" since my red and green pairs of pants don't seem entirely appropriate (though I have worn the green ones on casual Fridays before).
                      Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

OCBDs - don't know why, I just tent to wear patterned shirts instead
                        V-neck sweaters - I sweat too much. I'm going to try wearing them instead of jackets every now and then in the spring when I'm outside

Comment

I don't wear my navy blazer enough. J. Crew ludlow, no less. I don't know why. Maybe I might be a little self-conscious about appearing too dressed up.

Comment

1. Corduroy Blazer - Maybe not a "true" staple." I bought a great looking navy corduroy blazer two years ago and have worn it maybe 5 times.
                            2. Khaki colored chinos
                            3. Polos - I usually just roll up the sleeves of a casual button down
                            4. Cardigans - I own 1, but never wear it. Just don't like the look on me.

Comment

My staples would be things I'd actually love to wear. The navy blazer, almost zero occasion to wear. Would be awkward and overkill at work, no other event I can see wearing it. I guess I just live in a very casual area, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a man under the age of 65 wearing one in the past 6 months. Just isn't the norm. Its either casual or a full suit.

The other two would be the cardigan sweater and a nice pair of leather boots. For whatever reason, these things just don't 'work' for me. I feel awkward in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X