• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another affordable double monk strap JCP

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/shoes...mComboVal=null

JCP
    $60

The welcome trend of affordable monks continues, no longer just a niche $300 shoe.

I don't go out to shop and pretty much never to the mall. Has anyone seen these in the wild and can comment?

Those look great in the pics. I'll have to stop into JCP and check them out in-person. Too bad they are only offered in black.

Looks like they have a couple new offerings, along with the Wallis (brown plain-toe blucher that I recently checked out - a kinda/sorta cheap AE Kenilworth), and the Gaylord (choc.brown suede wing-tip bluchers that Joe posted about a couple days ago on the main page).

I'm digging this double-monk, but would prefer it in a burgundy/wine/cordovan color, or walnut maybe.

And then there's this penny-loafer (the Gaston):

which looks a little similar to Banana Republic's Asher/Branson:

The Gaston, however, also looks like only black as a color option. Hmmn...

Ah well, I might need to take a long lunch break and check 'em out (if they are in-store yet, that is). Thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

I really like my Stafford boots, so I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with these being a nice affordable shoe too....I think at worst they could be a beater shoe (that looks great to boot) for when its raining or bad weather outside for people

Comment

Too bad they don't make the double monk or loafer in brown. I decided to keep the Giorgio Brutini's at $55 since they're brown as I'm not a big fan of black shoes except for my Park Aves. JCP need to make a driver already because I'm really considering a pair for this year. Also considering Stafford's grey suede wingtips at $50.
        5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

I stopped by my local JCP to check them out but they didn't have them. The guy in the shoe department didn't know what I was talking about and simply said "everything is out, and some things online they won't get at the stores." I understand some items are online only but shoes? A hot, somewhat trendy trendy shoe online only? I am thinking maybe that store isn't getting them but others might?

Comment

I think it's a new arrival, so it may take some extra time to get to all stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandpointe View Post
              I stopped by my local JCP to check them out but they didn't have them. The guy in the shoe department didn't know what I was talking about and simply said "everything is out, and some things online they won't get at the stores." I understand some items are online only but shoes? A hot, somewhat trendy trendy shoe online only? I am thinking maybe that store isn't getting them but others might?
              In my experience, those of us who read Dappered are much more informed than the typical JCP employee. I too have been there quite a few times recently, and I have gotten a lot of blank stares and scarce answers to my questions.

Really digging the direction they are headed in though.
              I can tell the queen of diamonds by the way she shines.

Comment

While we're on the subject, what do you guys think of the Stafford Longwings in Black ? What are your opinions on Longwings in general?

These are the first pair that i've owned and they are growing on me. I feel like longwings can be awkward and clunky at times, but these do not have that effect at all.
                Last edited by unspokenryan; March 3, 2013, 01:32 PM.
                I can tell the queen of diamonds by the way she shines.

Comment

I lurves me a good longwing. But I think they are generally considered a rather casual shoe, even more casual than a regular wingtip.

Which makes it kind of interesting that JCPenney made their open-laced longwing in black and their closed-lace wingtip in brown. That's probably a little backwards for most people's sensibilities.
                  Ben

Comment

I don't have an opinion on the longwings but I think it's cool that one of the reviews of it specifically mentions dappered.

Comment

I have them, I like them for the price. Good design and shape and very comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by unspokenryan View Post
                        While we're on the subject, what do you guys think of the Stafford Longwings in Black ?
                        The Asher? I have them and like them quite a little bit; not as much as the cognac closed-laced/oxford wingtip Ashtons though. Those are my current favorite go-to shoe. I like the look of Oxford vs blucher, wingtip vs longwing, and I wear black shoes much more infrequently these days. But they still are pretty darn nice for the money. Nice soft leather, IMO.

Comment

found another double monk for $69

http://www.donaldjpliner.com/product/TREY,2975,42.htm

Comment

I have the Asher and the Ashton. I like the Ashton much more.

@ Morgan Liu, thanks for the link. I will check those out too. I like to be able to try shoes on first whenever possible though.

Comment

Working...
                            X