Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterproofing Cotton Trench - Any Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterproofing Cotton Trench - Any Suggestions?

I have a 100% cotton trench from Jcrew that was pre-treated to repel water. It did a good job of it in year 1. Now its year 2 and with the fall upon us I was thinking about treating it to help w/ the waterproofing. Should I wax? and if so which wax? Should I use a silicone spray? and if so which spray? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

I got some Granger XT Waterproofer and put that on my J Crew cotton trench:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028XERR4/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details

It works okay... It makes it water resistant, but not waterproof.

Comment

Nik-wax makes wash in stuff that I have used on softshells that works pretty well. you can also use the wash in stuff first, then the spray on top of it once it's dry, and it works well.

Comment

Yeah, Granger has wash in stuff too... My trench said dry clean only which is why I used the spray on stuff.

Comment

I'm not crazy about wash-in waterproofers. In high performance outerwear like Gore-Tex, they tend to clog the pores of the garment and make it less breathable. I guess that may not be an issue with cotton.

I'd recommend the spray-on, which you can use without having to actually launder the garment. I've used Granger's, like Jason, on all my technical outerwear. I even used it on a fleece jacket once, just to see what would happen. (It didn't really make it "waterproof" per se but the jacket did bead up water rather than simply absorbing it.) You can get Granger's spray at REI for something like $8, and probably most other sporting good stores as well.

Since cotton is such a naturally porous, absorbent material, a waterproof spray will only make it water resistant, as Jason says. That should be good enough for most uses. If you're actually standing out in the rain for hours at a time you should probably be wearing a technical rain shell anyway.

Ben

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Very helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X