Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dress Boots - Dainate sole unnacceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress Boots - Dainate sole unnacceptable?

Just a quick question since I'm trying to wear my AE Suede Malvern chukkas more often (they're a great pair of shoes by the way, I grabbed them for $100 during the seconds sale last year and they're pretty perfect). They've got a dainite sole and I was wondering if this precludes them from being "dress boots" in the sense that I'd wear them with fitted dress pants. If it could work, are there certain materials to stay away from here (ex. worsted wool, cotton)?

Thanks!

I'm in the "Who cares?" camp on this one. As long as you're not dealing with a clunky lug sole, no one is going to notice the sole of your shoes. I think suede chukkas are quite versatile and look great with a variety of looks. A smooth worsted wool trouser might look out of place, but a flannel or most any other kind of pant will go along with them quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by TomasR View Post
      I'm in the "Who cares?" camp on this one. As long as you're not dealing with a clunky lug sole, no one is going to notice the sole of your shoes. I think suede chukkas are quite versatile and look great with a variety of looks. A smooth worsted wool trouser might look out of place, but a flannel or most any other kind of pant will go along with them quite well.
      Agreed. 99.9% of people will neither see nor notice your shoes' soles. If you like 'em, wear 'em.

Comment

I would think it'd be the suede chukka thing that would make your boots less dressy, not the sole. FWIW, C&J makes some of their dress shoes and boots on dainite.

Comment

Agreed. Suede is the dealer breaker on a true dress boot, although I'm not sure how dressy you are trying to be.

The sole appearance should be more important than the material, as TomasR stated.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Y'all are right about the suede by the way. I just used my Malvern as an example (though I'd like to try and pull it off with trim flannel pants and wool jacket) but it's good to know that a slim dainite sole is wearable with dress pants.

Comment

I dunno. I'd lean no, personally. Think I'd have to see them in person tbh

Comment

Yeah, Dainate soles are hardly noticeable, unless you put your feet up your desk And they are way more practical in wet climates. I say stick with them and wear the hell out of them!

Comment

Working...
                X