No announcement yet.

Want a whole new look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about the same build as you, 6' 150lbs, so maybe I can give you some insight into what fits someone with our frame. Some of this has been suggested already, but my biggest advice would be to get some versatile items first.

Easily most important: dark, solid wash jeans are vital. Levi's in 511/513/514 are probably the best for your money. You really don't need more than two pairs and they should last almost a year if you don't wear them too hard. I personally wear 511s in Rigid Dragon.

Basic T's can get you through most days you're not working. Target v necks are a great value. I'm also a fan of h&m v necks as they tend to be a little longer in the torso. watch out though, h&m has two different types of basic t shirt. If you're buying white or black Ts just get a pack of Hanes though. In my experience they hold up better than other underwear brands.

If you need more formal pants for work I haven't found a favorite yet, but plenty of people swear by the Docker's Alpha Khakis.

As for shirts for work try out the new jcp line. Not just any shirts at jcp, the ones with jcp on the label. They have some very affordable basics. Target's Merona Ultimate dress shirts are also great, although the arms are a little shorter. I have yet to find any other brands in the 20-40$ range with arms nearly long enough.

For shoes, I'm not sure how "casual" your business casual office is, but if you can get away with nice sneakers, go for it. Without investing too much, you should be able to get a pair of classic Vans or maybe these this: http://www.target.com/p/men-s-conver...ot=medium_1_26

If you're trying to build a new wardrobe, start visiting your local thrift store and Marshall's on a regular basis. Don't buy anything unless the fit is perfect, but every few visits you should be able to pick up something usable for next to nothing.

And my biggest piece of advice for keeping clothes nice is wash them less often. I'm not sure what your habits are like now, but your clothes will last so much longer if you put them through a washing machine less often. Shirts need washing every few wears, T shirts probably every wear, but pants can go at least a few weeks without being washed.

Comment

Hmm, not sure why my earlier edit didn't fix my link. In any case the Looks You Really Like thread is here

Comment

Originally posted by heister View Post
        We all forgot to ask a very important question.

What do you do? What is the dress code at your place of employment?
        "For work I am a customer service representative working over the phone in a business casual environment. I also do acting on the side and plan to audition for a few roles once I get my feet back under me."

Comment

Hah, I though brusch was refering to me as Jesse McCartney at first there and I went "SOB!"

So here's a bit of how I put stuff together and my recommendation. Shoes, buy on ebay! and also print off the Allen Edmonds size chart and use that, dress shoes tend to be different than runners I find, most likely you will half a size down from your runners.

Brands: Allen Edmonds, Magnanni, Mezlan, Johnston & Murphy If you can score ones you LIKE for $50 that's great deal as they are all $200+, make sure they aren't wrinkled.

For the vest: I ordered 3 piece suits as they are always great to have the option, and a few single vest(majority from Dragon Inside and 1 from Black lapel). You can get made to measure vest from itailor.com, I would suggest finding a vest that fits you flawlessly first, then take your measurements with a fabric tape and compare them to the measurements of the vest. Never send the clothing measurements unless you specifically tell the company they are from an article of clothing and do not add any extra variance.

Dress Shirts:get a fabric tape and take your measurements and then you can go to Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, Jcrew, Bonobos, Harvie and Hudson, Target, Brooks Brothers etc and use their size charts to find the best fit. I personally have to have everything tailored, so I just find the neck, shoulders and sleeves that fit, that's also an option. Once you know your size, do yourself a favour and buy nicer quality shirts. I find I won't ever wear the ones that don't feel as soft as the others.

Your t's should be replaced by henley's. Jcrew, Target, Bonobos etc.

Jeans, get fitted and dark wash. I'd say don't cheap out, but people seem to love their levi's. I will say Naked and Famous on sale are great, seven for all mankind as well.

Edit: on a rather funny note, I'm only wearing a 2 piece suit today

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad shoe at all. I just don't wear suits enough to really warrant it. I only paid about $200 for them so even a cheaper option like cole Haan would have saved me maybe $100 max. I guess it was worth spending the extra $100 since you only get married once. They just don't get used very much which is why I see them as a bit of a regret.
            You're spot on. Everyone recommends Park Aves as the go-to black formal shoe. The problem is that for normal people, there just isn't much need for a black pair of shoes, which makes Park Aves a very poor value play. You can easily get by with a cheaper pair.

The other end of the spectrum are people who wear their black shoes often (for work, mostly I would imagine) and for those people, I'd say they're much better off getting a nicer looking shoe. The 5 last is inelegant at its best and the PA's lack of ornamentation really makes it evident how homely the last is. In comparison, the brogues of the Strand and McAllister makes them more handsome/interesting despite being on the same last.

Comment

Ah Chareth but a plain cap toe is a business staple, where as brouging is more casual.

And for the record, I think my magnanni cap toes that are more curvey are much more sexy that my Fifth Aves and their snub nose type appearance, so not everyone recommends Park Aves

Comment

Originally posted by Chareth View Post
                ...for normal people, there just isn't much need for a black pair of shoes...
                Chareth, your words cut me to the core. Stabbed in the back by a comrade in style!

Comment

Originally posted by Chareth View Post
                  You're spot on. Everyone recommends Park Aves as the go-to black formal shoe. The problem is that for normal people, there just isn't much need for a black pair of shoes, which makes Park Aves a very poor value play. You can easily get by with a cheaper pair.
                  My opinion on that, though, is that most situations in which you'll need black shoes (weddings, for instance, but also black captoes can be used with black tie if you don't have opera pumps or whatnot, and also probably very formal meetings) are probably the situations in which you also want to look your absolute best. As Vicious said, you only get married once (well, hopefully...)

Also, I saw Converse one-stars on the thread? My personal advice is: Don't do it. If you're going to get converse, get jack purcells or at least chuck taylors (chucks run 45, the one-stars run 35, and you're paying the extra 10 for something that's really a classic, whereas the one-stars have that... one star)

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                    Ah Chareth but a plain cap toe is a business staple, where as brouging is more casual.
                    But, of course. Oddly though, I have to say in NYC, I see many more men -- by orders of magnitude -- wearing bit loafers, split toes and brogues with their suits than plain cap toes.

Originally posted by bruschetta
                    Chareth, your words cut me to the core. Stabbed in the back by a comrade in style!
                    I guess someone here likes black shoes. Been thinking about a black semi-brogue recently. Got any suggestions/deals from the other side of the pond?

Originally posted by Mikey
                    My opinion on that, though, is that most situations in which you'll need black shoes...are probably the situations in which you also want to look your absolute best.
                    True, but I would say it's definitely possible to buy a better looking, and cheaper, black cap toe than a Park Ave. I suppose I'm separating the idea of simply looking one's best from wearing the highest quality, specifically for those people that will only be wearing these shoes a handful of times. You don't need calf leather and goodyear welts for that. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X