No announcement yet.

Sunglasses of choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow- that's ... a lot of wayfarers. I'm still trying to find my pair... currently it's a polarized nickle aviator style though I went through a period of sport type wraps and various versions of Ray Ban wraps. After looking at pictures I can say that the aviator style looks the best - I don't have the physique to pull off the sport style anymore (not that I ever really did) and the other Ray Bans just look shapeless. I wish I would have realized that years ago since some of those photos were once in a life time deal. I now have two pairs of Wayfarers in the pipeline- the originals (54mm) in tortoise and the Wayfarer IIs (New style) in a 52mm tortoise. I really want to like them and with my luck it will be the 54mm Wayfarer IIs (the ones I didn't order) that will be the perfect mix of size and style.
    Last edited by ajk170; February 17, 2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Ray Ban caravans in gunmetal

Comment

Tom Ford TF108s, the ones from Quantum of Solace. I love them, but they're ridiculously expensive now that they're out of production. I love the blue lenses and othe small touches that make them better than traditional aviators.

Comment

I have some mosley tribes which i love (wayfarer-esque but squared off). had some new wayfarers that got lost. recently been loving the American Optical Original with brown lenses...until those got stolen this past weekend. Not sure if I straight up replace them or jump for a different pair.

Looking at the ray ban caravan but it bums me out to no end they dont come with brown lenses. And no, dont get me started on the 'replaceable' lens options haha.

Other Caravan-looking recommendations?

Also had me eye on some clubmasters, but think that might just be too much

Comment

I wear some Tom Ford wayfarer-ish frames in a tortoise color with prescription lenses. I've had them for about 3 years and they've served me very well. My next pair (for variety, not a replacement) will be a pair of Shuron Ronsirs with clip-on shades (as seen in the pic below). A little aggressively styled, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be awesome. Plus, double duty!

Comment

My two current faves:

BR's "Corbin" in tortoise:

AO's Original Pilot bayonet temple in silver w/true color green glass:

Comment

Not really liking sunglasses lately, but I know I should wear them. Next up I intend to get some tortoiseshell Persol's and something along the lines of Don Draper's Randolph Engineering sunglasses:

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                  Not really liking sunglasses lately, but I know I should wear them. Next up I intend to get some tortoiseshell Persol's and something along the lines of Don Draper's Randolph Engineering sunglasses:
                  If you're in the market for Persols, then my advise may not have much merit, but for that Draper look, a much more affordable option in the AO Original Pilot like I posted right above you here. Near identical to the RE, but much cheaper price wise. Maybe hey RE option is higher quality - dunno - but I have yet to have, or even hear of an issue with the AO ones. Just a thought.

Oh, and they come in various frame colors/finishes and lens colors, including a match of Draper's.

Comment

My eyeglasses prescription is rather finnicky and the pair of prescription sunglasses I have (a generic aviator style) is just off enough that it really strains my eyes to try to wear them... so I don't.

Contacts are also not an option for me due to my need for a corrective prism. (Not really a loss in my book, since I went through a few different brands of contacts in high school/college and they were all equally uncomfortable to wear.)

So, recently I've resorted to the ultra-classy solution of clip-on sunglasses over my regular glasses. Not the most stylish look, but they get the job done. I'll also wear a brimmed hat if I know I'm going to be spending any significant amount of time outside.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                      I've got a pair of tortoiseshell Persol 2720s (http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/persol-2720) and I really like them, but my Tom Fords are still the go-to. I actually bought the Persols twice, once 6 years ago when I didn't like them in person (so I turned a profit on eBay on them), and recently again after my personal style had matured enough to not feel emasculated by the tortoiseshell pattern. They're very comfortable after I got the local eye doctor to use a warm box to soften the frames and fit them to my face, which they did for free, and the green lenses are beautiful. To me, sunglasses are one of those things that I use so frequently that I feel entirely justified spending relatively more on them than the rest of an outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by frost View Post
                        Ray Ban caravans in gunmetal
                        I've been intrigued by avaiators for years, but never felt like i could pull off a pair without just looking stupid. Tried on a pair of Caravans 2 days ago though and really liked them. The slightly squared off shape fits my smaller head a lot better than larger aviators. Nice looking pair of glasses!

Comment

55mm Ray Ban aviators

Comment

Is there a cheap alternative to the caravans? I can't spend $150 on sunglasses since I treat them like crap

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                              If you're in the market for Persols, then my advise may not have much merit, but for that Draper look, a much more affordable option in the AO Original Pilot like I posted right above you here. Near identical to the RE, but much cheaper price wise. Maybe hey RE option is higher quality - dunno - but I have yet to have, or even hear of an issue with the AO ones. Just a thought.

Oh, and they come in various frame colors/finishes and lens colors, including a match of Draper's.
                              I got those AO ones for Christmas and love them. They look great and I would definitely recommend them.

Other than those I have a pair of knock off tortoise shell wayfarers and a pair of knock off tortoise shell clubmasters. I like tortoise shell haha.

Comment

Originally posted by sanjaygolf View Post
                                Is there a cheap alternative to the caravans? I can't spend $150 on sunglasses since I treat them like crap
                                Yep. Caravans from Amazon. $78. http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Ban-RB3136...ay+ban+caravan

I wear 52mm Ray Ban New Wayfarers in tortoise; but I've been craving these for a while: Persol 2931, as worn by Tom Cruise in Knight and Day.

Comment

Working...
                                X