Scarves + blazers = ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scarves + blazers = ??

Hey all, I've got a question. What's the consensus on wearing a scarf under your blazer? I've found myself going back and forth on this for a bit (what with the colder weather and all) and I'm not quite sure I like the look of it or whether I've been able to pull it off successfully. There definitely looks to be a "right" way to do this and a wrong way to do this from what I've seen and it appears to run along a "style for style's sake" line with scarves lingering into the spring/popping up around late summer. What do you think? If it's just warm enough to not wear a proper coat but still cold enough to warrant something extra, is it okay to reach for the scarf?

Acceptable?:

Not so much?:

Last edited by Eric F; February 14, 2013, 10:42 PM.

I wear mine like the top left all the time. If Jake G's was a tighter knot, I think it would work, though it would be better suited for colder days. PTO has some other examples.

Comment

I was wearing a scarf under a sport coat today, so obviously I think it can be done well. I think the trick (as you've illustrated) is to keep your proportions sane.

Comment

I occasionally wear a scarf with a sport coat on cooler days. I think one of the keys is not to get too fussed about the way the scarf is wrapped. If it's too perfect or too complex, not only will it be a pain to get on and off, but it will look a lot more affected or, as you say, more like a style for its own sake.
        Ben

Comment

As long as you don't wear the scarf indoors. If it's cold enough then go for it. I've always seen it as more practical and less style.

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
            I've always seen it as more practical and less style.
            I get that sometimes people wear it in such a way that it's clearly in the realm of style for its own sake, but on brisk days when you don't quite need or want an overcoat that V seems like it was practically made for a scarf. I usually knot my scarf (for maximum coverage of the V) and don't think twice about anything other than coordinating colors.

Comment

And bringing this back around to the OP's question........Yes, I think the scarf with a blazer look is perfectly acceptable and can provide a nice accent to the look. Go for it.

Comment

Duvel, yes the questions is asked in the men's forum and in the 21st century, but the application is to the real world. I get the gist of what heister is trying to say, but I live in NYC so I kind of don't give a hoot as to what people think of how I wrap my scarf. However, I do care what people think when I wear brown shoes with black belt.

Yes, I wear scarf with blazer because my neck is sensitive to the cold, even in cool spring evenings.
                Last edited by greg_s; February 15, 2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Getting back to the subject at hand, I do wear a scarf with my blazer. I think it looks good and if the weather isn't brutal, I can get away with wearing a heavy tweed blazer, gloves and scarf as my outerwear.

Comment

Well, looks like this went off the rails pretty quickly. Thanks for the quality input, everyone, and for keeping things relatively sane. I'll give it a shot next time we catch a cold snap here in southern CA.

Comment

Scarf and Blazer...No. If it's that cold, wear a jacket with it. I'd never wear a scarf with a suit. (Guy in bottom right of Eric's post looks TERRIBLE along with Jake G)

Scarf and HEAVY sport coat, Yup (Guy in top right with glasses and PoW pattern looks good)

The rest of the pictures...they don't even have them around their neck really, more of a fashion statement and lacking any functionality
                      Last edited by greg_s; February 15, 2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Let's stick to responding to the OP's question.
                        "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

sure why not.
                          I think the photos 1,3,4 are great looks.
                          (would love to know where photo #1 got his scarf!)
                          I've seen some bankers pull off white cashmere scarfs with black suits (no ties)...very classy.

Comment

Working...
                          X