Got dissed about my tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got dissed about my tie

Wearing a blue blazer, tan slacks, loafers, light blue checked button down shirt with a solid colored knit tie from Lands End yesterday and a woman at my job says "I want to get you a new tie - what is that?"

My office is casual, so it's not like the problem was I was too casual. She thinks knit ties are strange. But she's from Eastern Europe and dressed sort of flashy/informal, so I think I'm going to ignore her taste.

Boo. Knit ties were made for checked shirts.

Comment

LOL - knit isn't flashy enough for her, eh?

Sorry you had to hear someone's *unsolicited* negative feedback on your getup. It'd be different if you had asked her for her opinion. Even then... kind of a rude way to put it.

I think that many folks - Eastern European and otherwise - are just so used to a more traditional *dress*(?) tie style, that the knit (squared-off at the bottom, I presume?) just throws them for a loop.

Personally, I like the look, in certain settings, and with other certain wardrobe looks. I've worn one with a casual blazer, button-up (maybe button-down too - can't recall), and jeans. It certainly has a more relaxed, casual tone to it, but as you say your office is casual. If it's anything like *my* casual office, you were probably the best-dressed person in the joint; aside from Miss Flashy, that is.

Comment

Eh, take it as a compliment of the rest of your outfit. Sounds like she likes everything but the tie, and with something edgier/trendier like a square knit, you're not gonna please 'em all.

Comment

If there's anyone that knows about style it's Eastern Europeans.

Comment

That's very generous of her. Tell her you'll take her up on her offer. But you need to be careful and set some boundaries--be sure she understands that you have impeccable standards and no tie under $200 will do.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
              She thinks knit ties are strange. But she's from Eastern Europe and dressed sort of flashy/informal, so I think I'm going to ignore her taste.
              With apologies to the Eastern Europeans on this board, your brief description of her is unsurprising. I've known a lot of Eastern Europeans who prefer a flashy, almost gaudy, aesthetic. To each their own, but in this case I think it's safe to assume you and she are speaking different sartorial languages. Nothing about your outfit sounds the least bit unsual.

Comment

Originally posted by heister View Post
                Track suits?
                LMAO good one
                "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

JT10000, I've been heckled before for wearing longwings brogues (the horror!) to work. Some people feel a strong need to share their opinion about style, especially if they feel that they have a fashion sense. Shrug it off, bud. You looked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Idle_Hands View Post
                    With apologies to the Eastern Europeans on this board, your brief description of her is unsurprising. I've known a lot of Eastern Europeans who prefer a flashy, almost gaudy, aesthetic. To each their own, but in this case I think it's safe to assume you and she are speaking different sartorial languages. Nothing about your outfit sounds the least bit unsual.
                    I have to agree with this statement. There are a lot of rich 1st/2nd generation Eastern-Europeans in my area and they tend to dress very flashy with a lot of gold and a lot of perfume/cologne. Also, I assume knit ties are from English/American origin and therefore are not prominent in Eastern Europe.

Comment

I've spent a little time in the Czech Republic and Poland, and to be honest, most Czechs and Poles I encountered were better-dressed than the average American.
                      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        I've spent a little time in the Czech Republic and Poland, and to be honest, most Czechs and Poles I encountered were better-dressed than the average American.
                        I believe that. But my co-worker is from former part of the USSR. Plus we're based in NYC (midtown, just off Fifth Avenue) so the standard around here is higher than average American.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          That's probably true of a lot of European countries, though.

There can also be differences in mores b/t emigrants (and their descendants) and natives. The Jersey Shore aesthetic derives in part from Italian-American culture but is, presumably, light years away from most of actual Italian culture.

Comment

Don't worry about it man. At the place where I interned I got heckled all the time for wearing a scarf when it was cold outside or wearing a cardigan. People are always going to find things that they don't like about your outfit. A girl I worked with in college hated bright socks and would criticize me any time I wore socks that didn't match my pants perfectly. Of course most of the time I saw her, she was in nike tempo shorts or sweats with a t shirt so she shouldn't really be criticizing people on their wardrobe choices. I've learned to ignore it because I know that I look good and 99% of the people I know like the way I dress.

Comment

Let her buy you the damned tie. I'd like to see what she picks out.

Comment

Working...
                              X