Help with Consignment Shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Consignment Shops

I've been adding to the wardrobe thanks to Dappered and the thrifting thread, but am running into a big problem most of you may have already encountered... space. I'm located in NYC, Manhattan specifically, and space is of a premium. I eventually will donate majority of what I won't wear but wanted to get your guys's opinion on any good consignment shops where I could turn in for store credit. Cash would be sweet but I'm thinking to flip a few things for a solid addition to my wardrobe. I'm a newbie so my closet still needs to grow.

Any tips?

Can't speak for NYC but I've had mixed luck selling clothes I no longer need.

I'm not sure what the price range is of the items you're selling. In my experience the resale shops want to mark up an item for 5 to 10x if they will sell it themselves (not on consignment). Consignment runs 10-25% in my area. Both will only take items that are "in"; I've had both decline to take last season's "trendy" chino blazer in new condition.

Depending on what it is, you may find an online forum of collectors/enthusiasts if it's a rare piece (particularly jewelry, etc) or try eBay where you have a wider audience. Even on eBay, I've had to sell items (new with tag) for 50%-75% what I paid (store wasn't in my area, couldn't return it). I'm not trying to discourage you; I know a few women who stay on top of fashion and continually recycle their clothes through eBay (and make a profit).

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Working...
    X