Tom Ford's 15 Things Every Man Should Have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Ford's 15 Things Every Man Should Have

There's many I agree with, and a couple I am curious to hear feedback on. What do you think of Tom Ford's 15 Things Every Man Should Have?

15 Things Every Man Should Have - Vogue UK

I agree with most things here...

Disagree with: Cologne; Changing socks and underwear every 6 months; Tuxedo.

Personally, I think "clean" is a perfectly good way for a man (or woman) to smell. I feel the same way about myself as I do about my laundry. I don't use perfumed detergents or dryer sheets because it feels weird to me that my clothes should smell like something other than clean clothes. I actually get a little annoyed when my roommates occasionally switch loads of laundry and my clothes come out smelling like Tide or something. Likewise, I maintain a respectable level of personal hygiene and I feel like adding scents is superfluous (and can be annoying to some). Scent is something that people find deeply personal and evocative, and they cannot simply switch off their sense of scent if they don't like what they're smelling, so I prefer to err on the side of caution and go minimalist.

As far as socks and underwear go - I wear my socks until they wear out (unravel, fade, etc). Which, because I've got a decent rotation going on, tends to take a while. I think it's also fine to wear underwear until they start showing signs of deterioration. I have some pairs that still look like new after several years of wear. But I don't hesitate to cut the old ones up into rags and buy fresh replacements.

Tuxedo - I really feel like the need for a tuxedo depends a lot on your life circumstances. Where I live, most men can get away without wearing a suit their entire life. Even as a suit-wearing professional, I doubt I will ever encounter an event where a tuxedo is a necessity. It's just part of our Western culture and heritage that even the wealthiest, most publicly visible members of our community need only pull on their finest cowboy boots, jeans, and maybe a blazer for even the most elite of events. A tuxedo may have a place in many men's wardrobes, but I suspect I will never need to own one. I may buy one someday anyway, just for kicks, but when I wear it it will be for my own gratification and not out of conformity or obligation.
    Ben

Comment

Agree with everything on there.

The one iffy is the tux, but you can wear to weddings etc.

And the teeth thing...HELL YES my teeth annoy me, I want veneers or else I'm getting invisalign, I have some slight crowded ones on the bottom that piss me off to no end. So that's on this years agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
        Agree with everything on there.

The one iffy is the tux, but you can wear to weddings etc.

And the teeth thing...HELL YES my teeth annoy me, I want veneers or else I'm getting invisalign, I have some slight crowded ones on the bottom that piss me off to no end. So that's on this years agenda.
        Had the invisalign a few yrs ago those damn things used to hurt like hell when i would change the fittings.

In re to the article agree with it all cept cologne. I dont wear it alot, i have a versace i wear sometimes that the wife bought but outside of going out with her i dont wear cologne. And changing underwear every six months. I wear my stuff til its time to change them not when a designated date has passed.
        "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

The teeth one is what I was most curious about, but I knew cologne would come up too. I never quite understand or agree with people who argue that their crooked, mis-matched, or poorly aligned teeth are part of their look, and give them a signature. I suppose it stands out, but never in a good way to me. I don't fault anyone for not having their teeth correctly aligned and maintained initially, but over a long period, I'll get curious as to why not?

As for cologne, I tend to find that grown men have almost never offended me with it (except the out-to-the-club types of guys). College guys tend to choose poorly and spray excessively, so I'd say this list is definitely geared towards men with careers. As long as you are inoffensive and not using a trendy or common scent, I am fine with a signature cologne. I tend to wear it once or twice per week, usually in the evenings.

Comment

Yeah I concur with the pushback on the 6-month underwear business. But as for the tuxedo, I was just thinking about having one, on standby, just in case. In fact, maybe it'll inspire me to find more formal events to attend instead of waiting for them to come to me. I rock one cologne, Realities by Liz Claiborne goes well with my natural scent, so I stay with that mostly.

And I'm totally on board with the teeth/mouth hygiene tip. I didn't realize how much of an "impression" bad teeth/breath can make. I'm glad I suffered the years in high school with braces. They payoff's worth it.

Comment

Tux and Cologne. I wear a suit everyday to work, frequently attend weddings, my place of employment is always wanting me to go to charity balls ... and there is has only been one time I wished I had a tux. Unless you are a socialite, there really is no reason to own a tux, a dark charcoal suit will do you just fine.

I'm not as opposed to cologne as Lesserblackdog, but I rarely wear it. The only scent I use regularly is a fabric fresher that I spray into my shirts before I iron them. It leaves a very subtle scent, but I have had far more compliments from girlfriends about that scent than any cologne I have ever worn.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                As far as socks and underwear go - I wear my socks until they wear out (unravel, fade, etc). Which, because I've got a decent rotation going on, tends to take a while. I think it's also fine to wear underwear until they start showing signs of deterioration. I have some pairs that still look like new after several years of wear. But I don't hesitate to cut the old ones up into rags and buy fresh replacements.
                Same, except I throw the old boxers away instead of using them for rags.

Comment

2. iPad.

5. Not necessary, but can be good.

10. Not just white. I only have a couple white dress shirts.

11. Why six months? How about just when they wear out.

12. A tux? Maybe if you're a rich designer living in NYC/LA/Paris/London. I live in College Station, population 140,000. Black tie events? Ha. Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                    2. iPad.

5. Not necessary, but can be good.

10. Not just white. I only have a couple white dress shirts.

11. Why six months? How about just when they wear out.

12. A tux? Maybe if you're a rich designer living in NYC/LA/Paris/London. I live in College Station, population 140,000. Black tie events? Ha. Nope.

2. I think Tablet/PC new reading count as well, i'd prefer a paper over a heavier smaller object though.

11. How do you determine when underwear runs out

12. I'm not a rich guy, I own a tux, I wore it twice over xmas/new years and got nothing but compliments etc. I'd highly recommend investing the $250-$500 in getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                      11. How do you determine when underwear runs out
                      Usually it's around the waist band area when you see that the fabric is starting to fray and you can see the white elastic underneath. At least that's true with boxers. Not sure about the guys who wear tightie whities.

Comment

Like others have said, I agree with many, but not all. Cologne? Rarely. Changing out socks/underwear every six months? Why?

Funny, as a couple people mentioned, one of these days I'll get invisilign or something similar to fix this small gap that has grown in between my two front teeth after getting my wisdom teeth out. Doubt it bothers anyone but me. Actually, doubt anyone but me even notices!

Comment

Agree with most. I'll do something about my teeth once I enter my profession. Cologne? I have some but never wear it because patients (and people in my city in general) have all sorts of allergies. I will someday pick up one or two bottles of Creed or Tom Ford but it's not a priority, same with the tux, depending on what residency I enter and where I end up practicing.

Comment

What's a "day watch?"

Comment

15. A Great Smile 'Perfect teeth - if you don't have them, save up and have them fixed" ... has anyone ever seen Tom Ford's teeth? I always assumed his mouth was sewn shut.

Comment

Working...
                              X