Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Affordable Watch Thread (less than $1000/£650)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The Affordable Watch Thread (less than $1000/£650)

    Hello Dappered-ites. I thought it was high time to share our favorite affordable watches in a single thread. I'll kick things off by listing a couple that I believe are good deals.


    Orient Cosmos et0k002w - $230 new. Regularly on sale from $120-160. This is my daily wear watch. I purchased it from Joe at Orient Watch USA. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the movement seems to be surprisingly accurate for a sub-$200 automatic. It does come with its downsides: no sapphire crystal, no hacking movement, and a short and unreliable warranty.


    Christopher Ward Trident - $535 new. I don't usually like dive watches, but I really like Christopher Ward's C60 Trident. It's not cheap, but it has an excellent movement, and an excellent 5-year warranty.

    Well, c'mon! Share your finds!

    #2
    For me, it's this CW C9 with rose gold numerals. It costs $535 so I'll own it some day.

    Comment


      #3
      Here are a few of my favorites from a variety of price ranges:


      Timex Expedition vintage pilot style - $40 via Target


      L.L. Bean field watch - $40 used via eBay


      Orient Ray - $100 via Island Watch


      Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic - $450 via Amazon
      Ben

      Comment


        #4
        Agreed on the Hamilton. They are fantastic watches. I have bought many watches and my Hammie is the one I always go back to.

        If you want to make watches a hobby I think vintage is the best way to go. If you do your research and have patience you can find a great Omega or Tag at under $1000 and it will be something you won't see every day. I just picked up a 1965 Seamaster, bought a new band and got it services for well under $1000

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
          For me, it's this CW C9 with rose gold numerals.
          Vicious49, The plain face and anemic hands make this watch uninteresting to me. That being said, I like the way that the gold doesn't overpower the silver and run the risk of making the watch look cheap.
          Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

          Orient Ray - $100 via Island Watch
          BenR, That Ray looks excellent for $100.
          Originally posted by bremersm View Post
          If you do your research and have patience you can find a great Omega or Tag at under $1000 and it will be something you won't see every day. I just picked up a 1965 Seamaster, bought a new band and got it services for well under $1000
          Here's the thing: I would never wear an Omega or Tag out of the house for fear of being mugged.

          Nice contributions, gentlemen! Keep it up!

          Comment


            #6
            I love seiko Sarbs! I'm having trouble with copy and paste but here are some of my faves under 1k


            precista prs3 dive watch
            Speedbird pilot watch
            Bernhardt anchor -Rolex exp homage
            Sarb017 maybe the best of the JDM Sarbs

            Lastly I wear a pre loved omega aqua terra the most. It was 1k I think and best way to buy these higher end watches.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by javadave View Post
              I love seiko Sarbs! I'm having trouble with copy and paste but here are some of my faves under 1k


              precista prs3 dive watch
              Speedbird pilot watch
              Bernhardt anchor -Rolex exp homage
              Sarb017 maybe the best of the JDM Sarbs

              Lastly I wear a pre loved omega aqua terra the most. It was 1k I think and best way to buy these higher end watches.
              The SARB017 is a wonderful watch. I love the green dial, the gold details, the shape of the hands.... I'd probably own it if I didn't have such a weird hangup over the Seiko brand (and not crazy about the internal compass bezel, either).



              I also love the BBA with the champagne dial. Another watch I love but isn't quite right for me (40mm is a bit big for an Explo homage).

              Ben

              Comment


                #8
                I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes but I've never found a significant reason to buy a watch that costs more than $100-200. There are very attractive options below 200 and even below 50. My go-to watch has always been Timex.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                  I've never found a significant reason to buy a watch that costs more than $100.
                  It's true that you don't need to spend very much to get a good time keeper. For me it has been more about the art, history and workmanship of the pieces I buy. And yes a little about the prestige of the name.

                  I guess the same argument can be made about cars, shoes and a whole world of goods out there.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Good idea for a thread.

                    But is up to $1,000 considered an "affordable watch" to the Dappered crowd?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Maratac Pilot -- both in Mid (39mm) and Full Size (46mm) -- ~$220-240 USD

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Johdus View Post
                        Good idea for a thread.

                        But is up to $1,000 considered an "affordable watch" to the Dappered crowd?
                        This is certainly a valid point, and one that is brought up quite a lot on watch forums as well ("What is 'affordable?'"). Dappered is obviously a site geared toward folks trying to look good on a budget, but even among the budget-conscious, there will be significant variation between what one views as an affordable watch, how big a share of the budget one is willing to devote to watches, and the general philosophy toward watch purchases in general.

                        Some folks who are ordinarily budget-conscious will view watches as an investment. Not in the literal sense that you're going to make money off your watch - you won't - but as my brother put it when he bought his Nomos Club Dunkel, "Buy once, cry once." Life's too short not fork over the cash for an heirloom-quality piece that will be with you for the rest of your life.

                        Others will approach it from the complete functionality standpoint. A $15 quartz watch keeps better time than a $7,000 Rolex, so why would someone spend more than $15 on a watch?

                        Both viewpoints are valid and I'm sure there are representatives of both viewpoints here on the Threads.

                        Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                        I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes but I've never found a significant reason to buy a watch that costs more than $100-200. There are very attractive options below 200 and even below 50. My go-to watch has always been Timex.
                        I've bought my fair share of watches that cost me more than $200, but I agree that practically speaking, there are plenty of good options well below that price. Timex is a standby favorite, but I've also found that Casio makes a number of attractive analogs with steel cases for under $50.







                        Ben

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Johdus View Post
                          But is up to $1,000 considered an "affordable watch" to the Dappered crowd?
                          Johdus, My personal limit is $500, but I made the thread limit less than $1000 so that people don't start posting their Omega Seamasters whilst insisting that they're entry level automatics.

                          Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                          I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes but I've never found a significant reason to buy a watch that costs more than $100-200. There are very attractive options below 200 and even below 50. My go-to watch has always been Timex.
                          Duvel, The fit and finish of more expensive watches is generally nicer. Timex makes attractive casual watches.

                          Originally posted by javadave View Post
                          For me it has been more about the art, history and workmanship of the pieces I buy. And yes a little about the prestige of the name.
                          I prefer automatics because of the history and workmanship. It's fun to have a miniature analog machine working away on your wrist.

                          Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          Timex is a standby favorite, but I've also found that Casio makes a number of attractive analogs with steel cases for under $50.
                          BenR, I have mixed feelings about the Casios. My first impression was amazement at how attractive they are. Upon closer inspection I find them to look cheap. Timex, Seiko 5, and Orient 3 star are probably better choices in that range.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            My next semi-big purchase will be a watch, and it will be one recently reviewed on Dappered:

                            Citizen Eco Drive CA0331-05A - about $225.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I'm a fan of Oris watches, and although plenty go over the $1000 limit of this thread, a pretty wide variety can be had for less than that. I've got a BC3 now, and it's been a great watch for wearing every-day use.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X