Need help picking dress shoes. Status: First pair of oxfords ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
    The Fifth Avenue and Strand are good choices. However, I don't think that two brown shoes would be redundant.

If you don't mind waiting, AE holds sales on seconds a few times a year. They usually offer sales that are two for $300 ($150 each) or two for $200 ($100 each). Their spring sale should be coming up.
    What I mean was 2 shoes in burnished brown would be redundant. That is why I'm aiming for the Fifth Ave in burnished and the Strand in walnut.

Also a side note: thanks to everyone who recommended getting the strand later on after at least getting one basic/more versatile option.

Comment

Originally posted by Giatros89 View Post

What are "seconds"? That sale sounds phenomenal!
      I means shoes that didn't pass the quality inspection for one reason or another. It may be something so minor that you cannot even see or detect it.

Comment

Gia, I feel like you're way overthinking this. That was the reason for my suggestion to slow down. I mean, if you don't know, don't rush it. Take the time, man, unless you need something for some urgent date comin up.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
          Gia, I feel like you're way overthinking this. That was the reason for my suggestion to slow down. I mean, if you don't know, don't rush it. Take the time, man, unless you need something for some urgent date comin up.
          I agree man, don't rush into buying all these things, take it easy. Really think about these purchases before you drop $1000 on a couple pairs of AE's. while I agree that they are fantastic shoes you need to take it easy. Start with 1 pair and see if you like them. When I was first upping my style, I rushed into it a little bit and made some very poor choices, for things I thought we great at the time, but now I definitely would not wear.

Comment

@Giatros - Lands End currently has the Strand on sale now for $240. Ample sizes in burnished brown. Only 9's in walnut.

I know that's not your preferred order, but thought I'd pass it along.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
              As I noted in my first post this whole thing is to get an idea. It is very possible I may not be buying these shoes for 2 months. I just wanted to have a direction because it is easier to change it with time than to come up with a mindset at once. I'm going to be trying everything before I buy it. I probably won't even buy anything unless I know I can return it if there is any issue. I'm also looking for shoes in a lower price range that look similar (none yet except Loake which cost the same).

Originally posted by Teej View Post
              I agree man, don't rush into buying all these things, take it easy. Really think about these purchases before you drop $1000 on a couple pairs of AE's. while I agree that they are fantastic shoes you need to take it easy. Start with 1 pair and see if you like them. When I was first upping my style, I rushed into it a little bit and made some very poor choices, for things I thought we great at the time, but now I definitely would not wear.
              As noted before I'm just laying out a plan not executing it. I also stated I'd be buying one at a time. I appreciate everyone telling me to slow down to make sure I don't waste cash but I'm not financially or emotionally ready for even my first pair yet but knowing what I want really enables me to now look at other shoes and sales and make a mental note of whether I'm interested.

Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post
              @Giatros - Lands End currently has the Strand on sale now for $240. Ample sizes in burnished brown. Only 9's in walnut.

Wow that's amazing! Sadly I want that price for the Fifth Ave. and I can't afford to jump right away. I guess there will be others I want to thank you all the same for pointing it out. Maybe it will help someone else!

Comment

I own strands in walnut and burnished brown, park aves in black, and mctavish in black. The ones I get the most use out of are the brown strands followed by the black mctavish. The black park aves almost never get worn.

Comment

As far as thrifting goes, you of course want to find thrift stores that tend to have good stock, but the far more important trick to thrifting well is regularity. I have 2-3 thrift stores I check regularly and while they're not the most amazing thrift stores ever (though they're certainly not terrible, either), they're near wear I live/work so I'm often able to pounce on worthwhile new stock.

So even if Fred gave you or I the name of his treasure trove, chances are it wouldn't do us much good, simply because even at great thrift stores you're mainly going to come away empty-handed from any one visit. Better to just find one or two decent stores near where you live/work/grocery shop and make a habit of checking them regularly.

But you definitely should try thrifting as a way to help build your shoe collection. You won't be able to curate your thrifted shoe purchases in the way you're hoping to curate your retail shoe purchases, but it'll be a nice, cheap supplement that adds variety to your collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Idle_Hands View Post
                    As far as thrifting goes, you of course want to find thrift stores that tend to have good stock, but the far more important trick to thrifting well is regularity. I have 2-3 thrift stores I check regularly and while they're not the most amazing thrift stores ever (though they're certainly not terrible, either), they're near wear I live/work so I'm often able to pounce on worthwhile new stock.

So even if Fred gave you or I the name of his treasure trove, chances are it wouldn't do us much good, simply because even at great thrift stores you're mainly going to come away empty-handed from any one visit. Better to just find one or two decent stores near where you live/work/grocery shop and make a habit of checking them regularly.

But you definitely should try thrifting as a way to help build your shoe collection. You won't be able to curate your thrifted shoe purchases in the way you're hoping to curate your retail shoe purchases, but it'll be a nice, cheap supplement that adds variety to your collection.
                    Totally agree with this. You will walk away empty handed a lot of the time. I do. There was one time though that I managed to score a pair of black, bruno magli wingtips in pretty good condition. I've never had a find as great as that again though, and I probably won't.

Another option to try is your local cobbler. I know that mine sells shoes that he buys off of runways , seconds, or old ones refurbishes himself.

Comment

Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post

Man, I was pumped when I saw this, been waiting for a good deal on the Strands. Hopes crushed when I saw they weren't offering them in E.

Comment

Would it be best to get black shoes in a simple design (no brogue etc just a captoe) and brown's with design?
                        If so, then for the brown should a lot of design be highlighted with a light brown color or dulled a little bit with a dark brown color? (example: AE Strand)

Finally let me know if you have any shoe suggestions for a newbie (company or specific model) that I may have overlooked.

Thank you for your time and advice!
                        Whatever you do, under any circumstances, DO NOT buy a new pair of black Park Aves unless you get them at a deep, deep discount. If you really want them now, get them used on eBay. Otherwise, wait for your knowledge and taste in shoes to mature first.

Of all the shoes on AE's 5 last, the Park Ave is the most boring and old-mannish. I can say this as a big AE fan: get a different black shoe. If you're really likely to wear them with any frequency, I'd look into English brands like Loake, Cheaney, Crockett and Jones, etc that have sleeker options than American makers. I personally like the Loake Aldwych as a starter option myself; my guess is you can probably get it from Pediwear in the ~$250 range. Note, however, that determining your size can be problematic for English shoes, but you might be able to find some at stores like Brooks Brothers and Charles Tyrwhitt, both of whom sell re-labelled Loakes (and other English makers).

If you don't think you'll be wearing them much, don't even worry about corrected grain, goodyear welting or any of the stuff you read about here or on other forums. Just get one that has a decent look to it. You'll never wear them often enough for any of it to be an issue for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chareth View Post
                          Whatever you do, under any circumstances, DO NOT buy a new pair of black Park Aves unless you get them at a deep, deep discount. If you really want them now, get them used on eBay. Otherwise, wait for your knowledge and taste in shoes to mature first.

Of all the shoes on AE's 5 last, the Park Ave is the most boring and old-mannish. I can say this as a big AE fan: get a different black shoe. If you're really likely to wear them with any frequency, I'd look into English brands like Loake, Cheaney, Crockett and Jones, etc that have sleeker options than American makers. I personally like the Loake Aldwych as a starter option myself; my guess is you can probably get it from Pediwear in the ~$250 range. Note, however, that determining your size can be problematic for English shoes, but you might be able to find some at stores like Brooks Brothers and Charles Tyrwhitt, both of whom sell re-labelled Loakes (and other English makers).

If you don't think you'll be wearing them much, don't even worry about corrected grain, goodyear welting or any of the stuff you read about here or on other forums. Just get one that has a decent look to it. You'll never wear them often enough for any of it to be an issue for you.

Thank you for the heads up. In terms of re-branded Loakes; what are the names of the rebrand?

Comment

http://www.kentwang.com/shoes/benchg...-balmoral.html

Or these sexy things.

Just keep in mind that Allen Edmonds isn't the only choice you have - probably not even the best choice unless you really want to stick with Made in America. Meermin makes good entry level basics for about $220 for their bench made shoes. Ed et al makes beautiful shoes for something along the same price. Personally I find a bunch of their designs for appealing than most Allen Edmonds. Mantorii even lets you customize a shoe for around the same price (if you managed to snap that last 20% off coupon). Those Kent Wang shoes could have been had for $210 new if you got on top of that UrbanDaddy deal a while back.

Also I feel like for both the fifth avenue and strands you're looking into, I don't like the 6-bar lacing on either of those. A minor detail but I like 6 tends to be a little crowded for my liking. I might try to find an adelaide and half-brouge with 5-bar lacing.

Thank you for the heads up. In terms of re-branded Loakes; what are the names of the rebrand?
                            They're just Brooks Brother's branded. Made by Loake or another British maker
                            Last edited by Gump; February 12, 2013, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gump View Post
                              http://www.kentwang.com/shoes/benchg...-balmoral.html

Or these sexy things.

Just keep in mind that Allen Edmonds isn't the only choice you have - probably not even the best choice unless you really want to stick with Made in America. Meermin makes good entry level basics for about $220 for their bench made shoes. Ed et al makes beautiful shoes for something along the same price. Personally I find a bunch of their designs for appealing than most Allen Edmonds. Mantorii even lets you customize a shoe for around the same price (if you managed to snap that last 20% off coupon). Those Kent Wang shoes could have been had for $210 new if you got on top of that UrbanDaddy deal a while back.

Also I feel like for both the fifth avenue and strands you're looking into, I don't like the 6-bar lacing on either of those. A minor detail but I like 6 tends to be a little crowded for my liking. I might try to find an adelaide and half-brouge with 5-bar lacing.

They're just Brooks Brother's branded. Made by Loake or another British maker
                              Thanks for the heads up. I guess when going through Nords/Bloomingdales you don't see all these other brands such as Meermin/ Ed Et al/Loakes etc.
                              I'm all for spending less on shoes made with similar quality. The Made in the USA doesn't really mean much to me it's only quality that matters.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X