Upgrading from Levi's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading from Levi's

I am looking for a pair of decent quality dark indigo jeans to be worn as "dress" denim. I typically wear chinos over jeans, so I don't know anything about finding quality denim. In the past I have only owned jeans from Express or Levi's, but I want to go a step beyond them. I'm willing to spend around $100 or so. Levi 513's and Express Rocco Slim fit my body well.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to begin? Also, they would have to purchased online as I live in a fairly remote area.

Get in on this kickstarter project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tarting-with-d

Comment

Oof, I'd be wary of that kickstarter.. it always makes me nervous when they've raised more than 20x their goal. I really have never heard of one working out well when that happens.

There are a ton of brands available. Honestly, when you get to that price you start getting into selvedge denim, raw denim, selvedge raw, etc. and fitting gets tricky. I would sit on that $ until you travel to somewhere where you can try on a bunch of brands.
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
        Oof, I'd be wary of that kickstarter.. it always makes me nervous when they've raised more than 20x their goal. I really have never heard of one working out well when that happens.

There are a ton of brands available. Honestly, when you get to that price you start getting into selvedge denim, raw denim, selvedge raw, etc. and fitting gets tricky. I would sit on that $ until you travel to somewhere where you can try on a bunch of brands.
        I am sure it will work out with Gustin. Joe posted about Antigua bags a while ago and that project fell into the 20x funding range and they fulfilled the orders.

Another option I really like is the Bonobos denim.

Comment

@ Bremersm. I was looking at this pair from Bonobos
          http://www.bonobos.com/dark-rinse-sl...r-men-flatiron

However, I was concerned as several reviews noted that their jeans seem to stretch more than other brands. Any truth to that?

@greg_s, do you know of guides/sites that educate one on quality denim?

Comment

Originally posted by somaticmarker1 View Post
            @ Bremersm. I was looking at this pair from Bonobos
            http://www.bonobos.com/dark-rinse-sl...r-men-flatiron

However, I was concerned as several reviews noted that their jeans seem to stretch more than other brands. Any truth to that?

@greg_s, do you know of guides/sites that educate one on quality denim?
            I have the same pair and have not noticed any stretching. My guess is that the comments are either meatheads with thunder thighs or fat***es

Comment

Soma, I don't think for around $100 you're going to get anything much better than a pair of Levi's. I'd stick with a dark rinse pair of Levi's 511s (if the fit works for you) or 514s. Or even 501s if you can get them in STF.

Push comes to shove, for the price, nothing beats a pair of Levi's.

Comment

I prefer two brands of jeans that are a little bit more expensive than your avg Levis, but not by much when on sale:

Gap slim selvedge is very, very good this season. Better cut than almost every Levis.
                and
                Unbranded selvedge jeans from Urban Outfitter have long been a very good buy. Fade exceptionally well.

Comment

Originally posted by Johdus View Post
                  I prefer two brands of jeans that are a little bit more expensive than your avg Levis, but not by much when on sale:

Gap slim selvedge is very, very good this season. Better cut than almost every Levis.
                  and
                  Unbranded selvedge jeans from Urban Outfitter have long been a very good buy. Fade exceptionally well.
                  Didn't know about the GAP jeans, may have to try those out on the future. What's a good discount % at GAP?
                  5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Redford View Post
                    Didn't know about the GAP jeans, may have to try those out on the future. What's a good discount % at GAP?
                    You can usually get those jeans for ~40-50 dollars on discount

Comment

Originally posted by Redford View Post
                      Gap frequently does 30% off, occasionally does 35% off, and in rare luck, you may find 40% off. I'd say it is safest to just wait for 30% off.

Comment

Working...
                      X