Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LosRockets
    replied
    There's no rule about tie widths, but if you're having a big meeting and there are older higher-ups present, they may think of you as "young" with a skinny tie, and associate that youth with inexperience or immaturity. It's not fair, but it can happen. That being said, the navy tie may still be the better play here the black tie + black shoes + charcoal suit = too much dark going on and I tend to stay away from black ties unless they're knit or grenadine.

Leave a comment:

• trash
    replied
    I'd avoid the black and white striped tie, go with the navy (match it to your suit and shirt, not shoes). I'm leaning towards the black shoes as well, especially if the brown shoes are wingtips - might be too distracting. Also, that suit is a dark enough charcoal that I feel like you have to have the right shade of brown to pair well with it. Whatever you wear, make sure you're comfortable with it, you don't want to distract yourself in your meeting!

Leave a comment:

• joe3
    replied
    Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
    Color-wise it really doesn't matter unless your brown is very light or walnut. But what kind of shoes are these? Describe them or provide links - there's more to it than just color. The navy tie is preferable to the black/white one, make sure the tie isn't skinny (like 2.5") and I'm guessing both ties are silk? Make sure your belt matches with the shoe color.
    The navy tie is skinny 2.5inches wool. The black tie is 3inches silk. Is there a rule about tie widths???

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    Go with the black in this case.

Leave a comment:

• joe3
    replied
    Just to add..The brown shoes are dark.

Leave a comment:

• joe3
    replied
    Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
    joe3, Your outfit as you describe it is:

J.Crew Factory Thomson Charcoal suit
    Navy and white thinly-striped tie
    White dress shirt

It sounds like either brown or black shoes would work. All things being equal I would suggest black because it's the conservative choice. What type of shoes are we talking about? i.e. Are they identical? Is one a brogue, and another a cap-toe?
    Black shoes are basic oxfords
    Brown shoes are wing tips

I am appreciate the input bruschetta

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    joe3, Your outfit as you describe it is:

J.Crew Factory Thomson Charcoal suit
    Navy and white thinly-striped tie
    White dress shirt

It sounds like either brown or black shoes would work. All things being equal I would suggest black because it's the conservative choice. What type of shoes are we talking about? i.e. Are they identical? Is one a brogue, and another a cap-toe?

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    Color-wise it really doesn't matter unless your brown is very light or walnut. But what kind of shoes are these? Describe them or provide links - there's more to it than just color. The navy tie is preferable to the black/white one, make sure the tie isn't skinny (like 2.5") and I'm guessing both ties are silk? Make sure your belt matches with the shoe color.

Leave a comment:

• joe3
    started a topic HELP!!!! shoes with suit and tie help

HELP!!!! shoes with suit and tie help

Hey Gents. I have a big meeting tomorrow at work. I am wearing J.Crew Factory Thompson in Charcoal (Wool). I was planning on wearing a navy and white striped tie from TIEBAR (strips are very thin). I don't know what shoes to wear; black or brown.?? I also have black and white stripped tie from TIEBAR that i guess i could wear with black shoes. I really wanted to wear the navy tie though. I am wearing a plain white dress shirt. Any thoughts guys. Thanks
Working...
X