Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I wear a matching blazer and dress pants to a club event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I wear a matching blazer and dress pants to a club event?

There is a singles event coming up at a club, I don't know what to wear. I would say the club is more trendy than not. I want to look nice but at the same time don't want anyone to think I'm "trying to hard".

I have a dark navy slim cut blazer and matching dress pants from Express. So it is not a business suit. I do have a nice suit but I only wear that for interviews and weddings. At first, I was thinking about wearing jeans and blazer combo but this club has turned down people before for wearing jeans...so I don't want to take a risk. Here is what I'm thinking, tell me if I'm trying to hard: dark navy slim cut blazer and matching dress pants, fitted pattern dress shirt, skinny tie, tie bar and pocket square, dark brown wingtips.

I'm hoping the pattern shirt and the wingtips can make this whole outfit more fun than serious. I've seen guys with this look before so it is not at all out there. Then again, these were sales associates at various clothing stores and not at a club.

My blazer and pants combo: http://www.express.com/suits-1819/co...ow/3/index.ens
    Shirt: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=324227002

Here is the kind of look I'm trying to achieve: http://www.express.com/must-have-loo...ow/3/index.ens He is wearing tie, tie bar and pocket square but looks more fun than business.

Thanks!
    Last edited by justaguy; February 6, 2013, 08:32 PM.

what color pattern shirt are you wearing?

It sounds like a winning combo since the pants and jacket are paired together bc they are a suit. I would just avoid the navy on navy when picking the shirt.

Comment

I was thinking either a light blue or light purple.

Comment

Originally posted by justaguy View Post

Here is the kind of look I'm trying to achieve: http://www.express.com/must-have-loo...ow/3/index.ens He is wearing tie, tie bar and pocket square but looks more fun than business.
        If you cover up the pants on that image (I just used my hand) and concentrate on the top, it's no longer clearly a casual (but classy) outfit. If you imagine him wearing matching pants, suddenly the top seems a lot more dressy. Point being, the contrasting pants play a big role in making the outfit playful.

I think the same will apply to the outfit you're contemplating; the matching pants will make it fairly dressy, no matter how playful the upper elements are. Whether it will be too dressy is hard to say though, because it largely depends on the specifics of what the club is like, what the vibe of the event will be, and, most importantly, what the other guys will be wearing (since "too dressy" is all relative).

Comment

The suit looks like it has a sheen to it which would be great in a club setting. The gingham shirt will dress down the suit enough where you won't too dressy for the club environment. One piece advice I would give is go with a tie with some texture to it (wool, cotton or knit) as opposed to a skinny tie. I feel like skinny ties (less than 2 inches width) have that trendy, trying too hard aspect to them. A tie with texture will dress down the suit a little more and make you like look a well dressed man who is confident and not trying to hard/desperate.

Comment

I agree that you can't wear a skinny tie w/o running the risk of looking try hard. I also like the idea of finding a tie that will dress down the suit.

My two cents: other than the skinny tie, nothing else you've listed is try hard in and of itself. However, the whole ensemble together could come off that way if you're not careful or sartorially experienced. It sounds like there's not an article of clothing you'll be wearing, other than your shoes, that won't tread the line of being bold or statement-y. Navy suit? Bold b/c shiny and bold b/c it's a suit in a context where it seems you're not expecting to see many suits. Gingham? Bold pattern. Tie, tie bar, PS? All unrequired - and likely uncommon - accessories (for where you'll be) and therefore bold for the context.

I'd try the whole thing on and see how it looks. If it looks like you're pulling out all the stops, I'd consider ways to scale back the boldness: odd trousers instead of matching ones; ditch the tie and tie bar; ditch the PS; ditch the gingham for a solid. Just one of those switches could make a big difference to the outfit's feel. Even at a club, you don't want to wear too many things that are trying to make a statement.

Comment

THANK YOU EVERYONE! Seriously, thanks! DB, that's a nice trick (covering the bottom and focus on the top). I do have a light gray slacks I could wear. I'll see what combination of things will work. It is funny though - dress up then dress it down haha.

Comment

You're welcome!

I'm not so sure about what Idle_Hands said about gingham versus bold when it comes to a navy blazer (I thought everything else he said was spot on). When I'm wearing a navy blazer and trying to stay away from a formal look, a gingham shirt is my go to choice. It is a bold pattern, but it's also very playful and puts a whimsical spin on the blazer, whereas a solid tends to make it look much more serious. I often wear a navy blazer with a subtle green gingham, no tie, and a rich shade of brown chinos, and women love it; I get more compliments for that outfit than any other.

Then again, I guess if I were wearing that outfit with matching pants, the gingham might suddenly seem ostentatious—which goes back to Idle_Hands' larger point: with a lot of this stuff, there's nothing intrinsically "trying too hard" about any particular element in itself; it all depends on the other elements it's playing off and how it fits in the overall ensemble.

So I take back what I started by saying: Idle_Hands, you were right after all.

Comment

I agree that risk looking too dressed up going as planned. It really on the age-range of the men and women in attendance, and if it's geared towards like certain professions/groups The club definitely seems like a classier establishment based on what you've said already. My personal opinion is that tie + PS + tiebar + bold patterned shirt is a lot going on (but then again I'm very much a tieless jacket kinda guy), though I don't think it's "trying too hard."

Two ways I would take this:
                  solid knit tie (navy or black)/charcoal wool tie + pocket square (tie bar optional) --> I agree that a "skinny" tie is trying too hard.
                  Tieless + white cotton/linen pocket square (I'd probably go this way, I have before and I really like the look)

The light gray pants - good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DB View Post
                    Then again, I guess if I were wearing that outfit with matching pants, the gingham might suddenly seem ostentatious—which goes back to Idle_Hands' larger point: with a lot of this stuff, there's nothing intrinsically "trying too hard" about any particular element in itself; it all depends on the other elements it's playing off and how it fits in the overall ensemble.
                    Yeah, I think we're on exactly the same page. Gingham's definitely playful and dressed down. It's more that the whole proposed outfit risks crossing over into the category of "too much going on" or "too many statement pieces."

Green gingham? Sounds pretty badass. That does sound like a sweet outfit and I think it's precisely because the green gingham is quite unique and is the only thing "going on" amidst two otherwise neutral, staple pieces.

Comment

OK, just wanted to say thanks again for all the great suggestions! I found out I had an other event (more formal) to go to right afterwards, so I actually had to wear everything on my first post less the skinny tie. I ended up with dark navy slim cut blazer and matching dress pants, fitted pattern dress shirt, slim tie, tie bar and pocket square, dark brown wingtips. This was well put together as commented by a couple people. I did get a lot of "approving" looks through out the night which was great. What I wore was a good compromise between the two event as I won't have time to change outfits in between.

If I only had the first event to go to, I would have gone with a non-matching dress pants with my blazer, no tie and tie bar, but still a pocket square. I think it gives the pocket square gives it a little flare Other guys were wearing business casual or worse. There were a few older guys wearing tucked-in t-shirt and dark jeans.

Comment

Working...
                      X