Questions about these shoes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about these shoes...

I'm in need of updating shoes and taking inventory of what I currently have in my closet. I have some faux leather brown slipons that will need to be replaced, and a pair of Sketchers that serve as casual shoes - for now.

As far as lace ups go, I only have these:

Here is some info from the manufacturer's site: leather upper, Goodyear welt construction, and made in the USA. On the downside, not so bad in some camps, they have Vibram soles.

In the picture they currently have the military polish stripped off and have been freshly cleaned. Some other things I already know: they are creased and wrinkly (can you call a shoe wrinkly?), and I need shoe trees in them.

My questions. Are the useful for wearing with anything other than a uniform? Also, with the use of shoe trees and some leather conditioner can they be saved?

Thanks!
    http://searchingformystyle.wordpress.com/

I would say they can definitely be saved.

Vibram soles are not a bad thing, and those are fairly subtle. They are not as dressy as leather soles, but not ever situation calls for dressier shoes (and with open laces and a bit of wear, they won't be your go-to for a formal shoe anyway).

As for how to wear them, I'm in the minority but I don't think black shoes are as terrible as some. I definitely prefer brown and I'm almost always wearing brown, but I think since you have those, you could find a time to wear them.

Comment

Leather soles suck for anything but a nice warm sunny day on pavement
      Tile...chance to bail
      Gravel will get stuck to the bottom and make lots of noise and ....chance to bail
      Ice..You will eat S#$% and/or pull your groin.

The only reason I bought my strands and fifth aves was because they had some rubber on the soles...good call Brooks Bros!

Regading shoe trees, look at the european style ones, you can get these on ebay etc MUCH cheaper than the $125. I find these are the best for really holding the shoe in a more wrinkleless shape. Condition them well and over time it could reduce the wrinkles a bit.
      http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/...shoe-tree.html

Comment

Originally posted by A3M0N View Post
        Here is some info from the manufacturer's site: leather upper, Goodyear welt construction, and made in the USA. On the downside, not so bad in some camps, they have Vibram soles.

They are creased and wrinkly (can you call a shoe wrinkly?), and I need shoe trees in them.

My questions. Are the useful for wearing with anything other than a uniform? Also, with the use of shoe trees and some leather conditioner can they be saved?
        Vibram soles are good quality. That isn't a downside. What you have there is a pair of classic black derbies. They're a traditional business casual shoe.

Calf leather shoes develop creases. You can minimize the creases in the future by using shoe trees, but they'll still crease and eventually crack. Don't sweat it; it's the nature of calf leather.

To answer your question: yes, they're usable, but they're highly unattractive. You can do better, but you could also do much worse.

Comment

You definitely need shoe trees. Woodlore makes both the Allen Edmonds trees and the Joseph A Bank trees. If you wait you can find the JAB trees for as cheap as $7. Nordstrom Rack usually has Woodlore trees for around $12 IIRC.

Cedarville carries all the Woodlore trees too.
          http://www.cedarvillestore.com/c-2-c...hoe-trees.aspx
          The Cedarville Epic is great for the price ($25) and you can save $5 a pair using these codes:
          http://www.styleforum.net/t/227323/c...0#post_6103906

Comment

The AE Conditioner is pretty good for the price (under $5):
            http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

Saphir stuff is awesome (I'm a recent convert) but Renovateur is quite a bit more $$$.
            http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/...l#.URKgOqVZXng
            A little dab goes a long way though.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
              Leather soles suck for anything but a nice warm sunny day on pavement
              Tile...chance to bail
              Gravel will get stuck to the bottom and make lots of noise and ....chance to bail
              Ice..You will eat S#$% and/or pull your groin.

The only reason I bought my strands and fifth aves was because they had some rubber on the soles...good call Brooks Bros![/url]
              You can also get strands with combination (rubber) tap soles directly from AE. I did.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                You can also get strands with combination (rubber) tap soles directly from AE. I did.
                You're better off getting a rubber half-sole (ie, Topy) glued on afterwards for $20. Big advantage? When the half-sole wears out, you have have the cobbler take it off and put another one on. You'll never have to have your shoes recrafted again if you take care of the uppers.

Note that recraftings can be bad because they can only be done a limited number of times per shoe and since they need to be relasted, they may not come back with the exact same fit you're used to. It may not even come back with the same shape if you take it to a local cobbler since he won't have the original last.

Comment

Originally posted by Chareth View Post
                  You're better off getting a rubber half-sole (ie, Topy) glued on afterwards for $20. Big advantage? When the half-sole wears out, you have have the cobbler take it off and put another one on. You'll never have to have your shoes recrafted again if you take care of the uppers.

Note that recraftings can be bad because they can only be done a limited number of times per shoe and since they need to be relasted, they may not come back with the exact same fit you're used to. It may not even come back with the same shape if you take it to a local cobbler since he won't have the original last.
                  Chareth, I disagree with everything you've written. That being said, you're a good guy. We can agree to disagree.

Putting rubber topy on your dress shoes ruins their appearance. The shoes look especially gnarly when the rubber begins wearing off. Recrafting a shoe involves refitting the upper to a last, conditioning the leather, etc. Resoling a shoe replaces the entire sole. You may not have to resole your shoes if you glue rubber to them, but you will still have to recraft the uppers as long as your foot bends and creases form in the leather.

Comment

I agree, there is no doubt that putting on a rubber half-sole does not look at as good as a pure leather sole. To be fair, though, I was addressing a situation where the previous poster bought a pair of AEs with the rubber sole applied at the factory (which could only be replaced by a recraft).

From a pure utility standpoint, I'll admit I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole. There is obviously value to a recraft, but with the rubber half-sole, you will not need to recraft nearly as often. Before I started using half-soles, the rate at which I wore through my leather soles was much, much higher than the rate at which I really needed the uppers rehabilitated (this assumes a proper regimen of shoe care, obv).

For me -- and this is obviously a personal and situational decision -- it's more important to get traction and have durability (work in NYC, lot of walking on pavement in bad weather) than it is for me to retain a purer look for someone who might be looking at my feet from behind. Again, purely a personal decision. If I drove to work and did little most of my walking from the parking lot to the carpet, I honestly doubt I'd get them topy'ed.

Comment

Working...
                    X