Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JGL
    replied
    Best I could find to match: http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...1915/21915.jsp

The pink one.
    Last edited by JGL; February 9, 2013, 06:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JGL
    replied
    Originally posted by namenotspecified View Post
    Where do you find that one? I'll run the idea past the boss for her opinion
    That was the result of a random Google search. I checked thetiebar.com first. They had a few that were in the ballpark but not quite right so I gave up and tried Google. I was hoping to give you an example you could buy but didn't work out.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by namenotspecified View Post
    Ben Silver has a bunch of plaid ties on sale right now:
    http://www.bensilver.com/Sale-Woven-Neckties.html
    I'm pretty sure all the "made in England" ties are by Drake's, probably my favorite tie maker. I'm not sure who makes the "made in France" ties, but Ben Silver always has top notch producers for all their products. (Crockett & Jones for shoes for example)

Leave a comment:

• namenotspecified
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JGL
    replied
    A colored plaid tie to match with the flowers an option?

Leave a comment:

• redbeardedmike
    replied
    Kent Wang also offers the shepherd's check in navy (although it looks more like a brighter blue in the online picture). I gather this is less traditional, but I like it better than the black version for a little color.

Leave a comment:

• namenotspecified
    replied
    I think as said the motivation was to be able to pick a colour that will flatter each body shape (she has a bridesmaid who is quite big) and to buy them a dress that can be re-used. I think it also has to do with the fact that the last 2 weddings we went to were the same!

Any way thanks for the input so far. Here's a picture of the colour scheme for the flowers. I haven't actually considered whether the girls will have a coloured sash so I'll find that out!

Leave a comment:

• JGL
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    I officiated a wedding at which all of the bridesmaids wore black dresses and it looked great. The motivation was, I think, that with certain parameters set forth by the bride (re. length, sleeves, etc.) the bridesmaids could pick out dresses that suited them specifically and that they would wear again. Let's be honest, women in flattering black dresses are a hell of a lot nicer to look at than women in typical bridesmaid getups. And as you point out, additional coordination can be achieved via flowers (on corsages and in the hair, most likely), accessories and the like.

Then again, I'm pretty happy to give a lot of wedding traditions the finger, so maybe my opinion isn't that helpful.
    Reusable dresses is always a good idea. I'm just recalling all the times I mentioned, in jest, black dresses to ladies planning a wedding and received the look of death in return lol.

Leave a comment:

• eli cash
    replied
    fitting because you're basically attending your funeral amirite?

Leave a comment:

• lmwilson
    replied
    Out of the ones you picked I would certainly pick the more bold stripes. I think that at a weeding there are a lot of group pictures and things where thinner stripes or dots might not be lost.

IMHO though, your groomsmen are going to look quite dull (sharp, but dull). Why not match the ties to the color of the ladies' flowers? Another idea could be to get different ties within the same color scheme.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
    the shipping cost to the UK would be almost as much as the tie itself.
    Plus you have Drakes in the UK! I'm usually griping about the shipping from there to here. (Drake's sale is still on BTW: http://www.drakes-london.com/sale) One of my all-time favorite brands. OP, I have a Drake's shepherd's check that I got for a steal at NM Last Call. Not all of them carry Drake's and the other mainline Bergdorf stuff but if yours does, you might find a great wedding tie there. Not gonna have enough of one pattern for the groomsmen though.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    I actually suddenly needed one last weekend. I had called Paul Winston but they were out of black, that's how I knew his pricing off the top of my head. I didn't have time to deal with shipping so I just went to Paul Stuart while I was in midtown and got this one:
    http://www.paulstuart.com/product_in...SUBPRODCATID=0
    A little pricey, but really nice and handmade in NYC.
    Fred, I want one, but the shipping cost to the UK would be almost as much as the tie itself. C'est la vie.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    That's funny Shomas, when I read "The bridesmaids are all dressed in black "

I was like DAMN! I want to go to that wedding!

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Originally posted by JGL View Post
    Can't say I've ever heard of black bridesmaid dresses before. What was the motivation behind that one? They won't even have color ribbons around the waist?
    I officiated a wedding at which all of the bridesmaids wore black dresses and it looked great. The motivation was, I think, that with certain parameters set forth by the bride (re. length, sleeves, etc.) the bridesmaids could pick out dresses that suited them specifically and that they would wear again. Let's be honest, women in flattering black dresses are a hell of a lot nicer to look at than women in typical bridesmaid getups. And as you point out, additional coordination can be achieved via flowers (on corsages and in the hair, most likely), accessories and the like.

Then again, I'm pretty happy to give a lot of wedding traditions the finger, so maybe my opinion isn't that helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
    A black grenadine tie is a staple in a man's wardrobe. It's a classic tie, and you would be able to use it for the rest of your life. That would be my suggestion.
    I actually suddenly needed one last weekend. I had called Paul Winston but they were out of black, that's how I knew his pricing off the top of my head. I didn't have time to deal with shipping so I just went to Paul Stuart while I was in midtown and got this one:
    http://www.paulstuart.com/product_in...SUBPRODCATID=0
    A little pricey, but really nice and handmade in NYC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X