X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikeAD91
    replied
    Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    I can understand feeling that way. I used to feel that way until I became more interested in what I was wearing. Now the way I look at it is that my workplace merely gets the benefit of whatever I choose to wear that day. I don't get dressed "for work" but "for me." In other words, I no longer think of having a work uniform, per se. Instead I think of having clothes that I like to wear, and that includes good-fitting, nice chinos that are also, coincidentally, appropriate for work.

Of course that means I still don't wear jeans or t-shirts to work, even though some of my peers do (it is that casual). You should see everybody freak out when I put on a tie and a blazer. And a suit? You'd think the world was coming to an end.

Yeah, I'm in the same position as you. I have a closet of nice clothes and work is the only time I get to wear them. I'd be happy to have more opportunities to wear the clothes I wear to work.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    Originally posted by LittleNelly View Post
    To me, because I'm an office worker in a business casual dress code environment, chino's will forever be associated with work. Because I wear them 4 days a week already, I'm loathe to touch them in any situation where I could wear jeans instead.
    I can understand feeling that way. I used to feel that way until I became more interested in what I was wearing. Now the way I look at it is that my workplace merely gets the benefit of whatever I choose to wear that day. I don't get dressed "for work" but "for me." In other words, I no longer think of having a work uniform, per se. Instead I think of having clothes that I like to wear, and that includes good-fitting, nice chinos that are also, coincidentally, appropriate for work.

Of course that means I still don't wear jeans or t-shirts to work, even though some of my peers do (it is that casual). You should see everybody freak out when I put on a tie and a blazer. And a suit? You'd think the world was coming to an end.

Leave a comment:

• LittleNelly
    replied
    To me, because I'm an office worker in a business casual dress code environment, chino's will forever be associated with work. Because I wear them 4 days a week already, I'm loathe to touch them in any situation where I could wear jeans instead.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    I do sometimes, depending on the fit, what else I'm wearing, and the situation.

Leave a comment:

• McG
    replied
    Related question: In the pictures above (and frequently in catalogs and on websites), you see the pants cuffed up around the ankles. Do people actually wear their pants like this in real life?

Leave a comment:

• printyra
    replied
    you also do not want them too tight, or you will run the risk of looking like a hipster

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    The key is to find chinos in a fit that is modern and flattering to avoid looking like a Best Buy sales manager.
    Well, I agree essentially. BUT... there is a wide variety of fits that work. I own several kinds of fits, from a classic, i.e., looser and higher-waisted, look to a contemporary, i.e., slim and slightly cropped, look.

I think the key is making sure that each of these fits looks right, i.e., the inseam and waist are your size. The Best Buy sales manager problem, to use that analogy, is not so much the loose fit as the inattention to how it fits, i.e., inseam is too long so the pants drag or the waist is too big so the butt is baggy, etc.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Dunno why people find it difficult to wear chinos. I have a hard time imagining a situation in which denim would work but chinos would not. The key is to find chinos in a fit that is modern and flattering to avoid looking like a Best Buy sales manager.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    Chinos... whatever. Just wear them.

Leave a comment:

• yoyorobbo
    replied
    A few fellas sportin' varying degrees of the casual chinos look:

And there's a particular pic of Clooney, chillin' in some khaki chinos and a black tee, that I can't seem to find online. IIRC, I saw it in Esquire's *Handbook of Style* hardcover. It's gotta be around here somewhere digitally, but it's a nice example too.

Personally, I wear V-neck tees with chinos all the time, in a casual setting. Henleys, crew tees, and polos as well. My fave polo choices are the BR luxe-touch (or whatever). But as others have noted, you can dress them up a bit, as well as down a bit. A pretty standard wardrobe item, I'd agree.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied
    Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
    I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
    Ha! Well without getting too much into it, I get easily over-heated in the summer. My Nordic roots and MN winters have conditioned me to tolerate (not appreciate) the cold and sweat like crazy in the heat. Also, the climate here can fluctuate well over 130 degrees from winter to summer depending on the year. If it's hot during the day and still warm at night, I think a fitted pair of chinos and a nice v-neck (not too deep) looks pretty classy. Helps if you are in shape, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    They fall under the large umbrella of classic style, don't they? I mean, they're pretty much standard issue. I can't imagine being without them, and really I haven't since about 1st grade. I wear them a bit shorter and slimmer in warm weather, especially going casual with canvas shoes, etc.

Leave a comment:

• mdwsta4
    replied
    Really got into chinos two years ago. Have brown, darker khaki, red, green, navy, blue, and grey. Wear them most days instead of jeans now. Everything from a tucked in button up to a beat up henley. From AE strands to flip flops or chucks. IMO, chinos are just as versatile as jeans. Perhaps even moreso because they work better in the summer.

Leave a comment:

• printyra
    replied
    chinos are great. you can dress them up and you can dress them down.

Leave a comment:

• holmes10
    replied
    As a big fan of jeans and tees, I totally get where you're coming from. As I posted about recently, I've always found chinos to be tough to pull off, and I'm only now just coming around to wearing them comfortably. First off, I think half the battle is finding the right pair: flat-front, slim but not skinny, not trying to substitute for dress pants, slightly rugged, and either gray or tan/British khaki as opposed to the ubiquitous stone color. Just recently, I think I found the ideal chino: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-107...will-pants.jsp. It's very well-priced and what I would call a true slim/straight fit...neither too loose nor too snug or tapered. I picked up one in gray and one in the "sandpaper" color (pretty much a British khaki color). So far so good, though I've yet to see how they hold up in the wash. If you want to spend a little more, Kohls's "Marc Anthony" line also has some lightweight, slim-fit chinos. Just a heads-up, though; they're definitely more slim than the urban pipeline ones. While the urban pipelines were true to size in 30x32, I felt that the Marc Anthony 30x32s were too snug, and they don't carry a 31 waist.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. As far as what to pair chinos with, I think a plain, solid, fitted tee is fine. I'm not a big fan of polos, but I'd agree with the untucked button-up (think Daniel Craig's "enjoying death" scene in Skyfall). I tend to shy away from tucked-in shirts with chinos personally, as it evokes too much of a preppy/fratty vibe for me. Another option that hasn't been mentioned is a solid fitted long-sleeve tee. I think a l/s tee can be a nice middle ground between a s/s tee and something collared.

For an example of the look, check out Joe Gordon-Levitt in Looper: http://torkofthetown.files.wordpress...farm.jpg?w=584. I couldn't find a pic of him without the jacket, but in the film he rocks a l/s tee with those rugged gray chinos, and I think the look is good. Hell, if it's cold enough, why not throw on the jacket too? Come to think of it, a rugged jacket was also part of Bond's "enjoying death" getup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X