Chinos worn casually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinos worn casually?

Hey guys. I'm working adding a few upgrades into my style to change things up. I've picked up a couple of pairs of chinos (brown, tan, sky blue) and am trying to figure out how to start using these from day to day. I'm pretty much a t-shirt and dark denim guy, or I'll frequently wear an untucked button-up. Do chinos work with t-shirts in this manner? I welcome your help.

I think Chinos with untucked buttonup or even button ups tucked in look great casually.

Comment

anyone try it with a v-neck tee?

Comment

joshjensen, chinos are casual trousers. They are intended to be worn in a casual setting. V-neck t-shirts are too close to undershirts for my comfort. I do not recommend adopting the v-neck t-shirt style.

Comment

They're fine with a casual button-up, but even that can be overkill for some casual situations.

Personally, I think chinos go really well casually with shirts like this:
          http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65134...e=mariner-polo

Basically, soft cotton like a T-shirt, but with a collar thrown on. I've got two of those LL Bean ones, and a couple similar from BR. Over the summer, in a situation that doesn't call for a button-up, but I still want to look decent, I fall back on something like this.

Comment

I am sure there are many on here that will not agree with some of these looks. To each there own, take specifics that you like and make them yours. You can not go completely formal with chinos. If done right they are very versatile, from casual to dressed up.

Comment

T-shirts are fine to wear with chinos. Chinos are still casual and there some days you don't want to wear jeans. Chinos can add some color to your casual wardrobe.

Comment

In summer evenings I wear chinos with a v-neck T
                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                  In summer evenings I wear chinos with a v-neck T
                  I feel like I don't even know you anymore.

Comment

As a big fan of jeans and tees, I totally get where you're coming from. As I posted about recently, I've always found chinos to be tough to pull off, and I'm only now just coming around to wearing them comfortably. First off, I think half the battle is finding the right pair: flat-front, slim but not skinny, not trying to substitute for dress pants, slightly rugged, and either gray or tan/British khaki as opposed to the ubiquitous stone color. Just recently, I think I found the ideal chino: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-107...will-pants.jsp. It's very well-priced and what I would call a true slim/straight fit...neither too loose nor too snug or tapered. I picked up one in gray and one in the "sandpaper" color (pretty much a British khaki color). So far so good, though I've yet to see how they hold up in the wash. If you want to spend a little more, Kohls's "Marc Anthony" line also has some lightweight, slim-fit chinos. Just a heads-up, though; they're definitely more slim than the urban pipeline ones. While the urban pipelines were true to size in 30x32, I felt that the Marc Anthony 30x32s were too snug, and they don't carry a 31 waist.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. As far as what to pair chinos with, I think a plain, solid, fitted tee is fine. I'm not a big fan of polos, but I'd agree with the untucked button-up (think Daniel Craig's "enjoying death" scene in Skyfall). I tend to shy away from tucked-in shirts with chinos personally, as it evokes too much of a preppy/fratty vibe for me. Another option that hasn't been mentioned is a solid fitted long-sleeve tee. I think a l/s tee can be a nice middle ground between a s/s tee and something collared.

For an example of the look, check out Joe Gordon-Levitt in Looper: http://torkofthetown.files.wordpress...farm.jpg?w=584. I couldn't find a pic of him without the jacket, but in the film he rocks a l/s tee with those rugged gray chinos, and I think the look is good. Hell, if it's cold enough, why not throw on the jacket too? Come to think of it, a rugged jacket was also part of Bond's "enjoying death" getup.

Comment

chinos are great. you can dress them up and you can dress them down.

Comment

Really got into chinos two years ago. Have brown, darker khaki, red, green, navy, blue, and grey. Wear them most days instead of jeans now. Everything from a tucked in button up to a beat up henley. From AE strands to flip flops or chucks. IMO, chinos are just as versatile as jeans. Perhaps even moreso because they work better in the summer.

Comment

They fall under the large umbrella of classic style, don't they? I mean, they're pretty much standard issue. I can't imagine being without them, and really I haven't since about 1st grade. I wear them a bit shorter and slimmer in warm weather, especially going casual with canvas shoes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                            I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
                            Ha! Well without getting too much into it, I get easily over-heated in the summer. My Nordic roots and MN winters have conditioned me to tolerate (not appreciate) the cold and sweat like crazy in the heat. Also, the climate here can fluctuate well over 130 degrees from winter to summer depending on the year. If it's hot during the day and still warm at night, I think a fitted pair of chinos and a nice v-neck (not too deep) looks pretty classy. Helps if you are in shape, in my opinion.
                            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

A few fellas sportin' varying degrees of the casual chinos look:

And there's a particular pic of Clooney, chillin' in some khaki chinos and a black tee, that I can't seem to find online. IIRC, I saw it in Esquire's *Handbook of Style* hardcover. It's gotta be around here somewhere digitally, but it's a nice example too.

Personally, I wear V-neck tees with chinos all the time, in a casual setting. Henleys, crew tees, and polos as well. My fave polo choices are the BR luxe-touch (or whatever). But as others have noted, you can dress them up a bit, as well as down a bit. A pretty standard wardrobe item, I'd agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X