No Spend February?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spend February?

Anyone want to do this with me? I honestly don't even wear a lot of the clothes I've bought in the past year since I've started reading Dappered. Not because it's not good clothes but mostly because I don't have the opportunity to wear it. That's largely because I'm unemployed and looking for work. So the second reason for this is that I need to focus on my job search instead of looking at clothes all day. February is the shortest month but it will have it's challenges. Especially with Nick Wooster's new JCP Spring line launching today.
    5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Originally posted by Redford View Post
    Anyone want to do this with me? I honestly don't even wear a lot of the clothes I've bought in the past year since I've started reading Dappered. Not because it's not good clothes but mostly because I don't have the opportunity to wear it. That's largely because I'm unemployed and looking for work. So the second reason for this is that I need to focus on my job search instead of looking at clothes all day. February is the shortest month but it will have it's challenges. Especially with Nick Wooster's new JCP Spring line launching today.
    I'll join you Redford! I do wear the stuff I buy...but I have a big enough rotation that I sometimes wear things only once a month.

Comment

I was actually thinking of posting something like this.

Count me in.
      Ben

Comment

I bought a pair of AEs today (130 is impossible to pass up), but I'll join you for the rest of the month if you'll consider me. Will tailoring be allowed?

Comment

Tailoring is encouraged. Improve your wardrobe by not purchasing new items for it. Exchanges are allowed too since I may need to do one or two.
          5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Perfect then I'll play along

Comment

I think I should get in on this for my bank accounts sake.

Comment

So what's the punishment if we break it?

Comment

30 seconds spent staring at this .gif for every $10 spent:

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                    So what's the punishment if we break it?
                    Spanks. Delivered by Mrs. Redford.

PS: I just broke it.

Comment

I probably should do this but the gf just got a $50 appreciation card in the mail from J. Crew and we are heading to the store this weekend, naturally. It will be hard to resist the urge for purchase when she's purchasing herself.

But I should do this. I bought so much stuff in January. It was on clearance or final-plus-40-percent off, etc. And I just HAD to have it. Plus the gf and I really did not spend much on Christmas. Oh, the justifications.

In January I bought (and I'm not bragging just showing how pathetic I was):

About a dozen socks. Hey, I needed them. I really did. This is how it started, the slippery slope at the mall.

Next, three button-down shirts and a sweater from Land's End at Sears, and they were on sale for only about 20 bucks each. Hey, I needed them. They would go perfectly with my J. Crew tweed jacket that gf bought me last fall.

Next, three cardigan sweaters from the J. Crew retail store in town. I don't know if I needed them but they sure are nice and the 40-percent off final sale sure made the price good. I got the brown waffle shawl collar, the grey-checked navy shawl collar, and the navy cotton pocket.

Next, a $115 Filofax leather personal organizer. Hey, I NEEDED it. I am so disorganized. But seriously I think that I really have needed this--it has saved my skin a couple of times already. Plus when I go around with it at work, I look suddenly so professional.

Next, not one but two Moleskine notebooks, a pocket size and a regular size. Hey, I needed it. There's not enough room for notes and doodles and stuff like that in a Filofax.

Next, a cashmere turtleneck and a lambswool rollneck from J. Crew. Hey, I needed them!!! I didn't have a turtleneck, and I am aspiring for Steve McQueen cool. And as for the rollneck? Well, I think the J. Crew ad said something about every guy needs one in his closet or something like that.

So when I think what a huge splurge-y month it has been, I should do this. I just don't know if I can. There's still so much stuff I need.
                      Last edited by Duvel; February 1, 2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I'm in! Got pretty much everything I wanted around the holidays and I just scored some J&M Hutchins cap-toe boots from their final sale a couple days back. I think I should be good for awhile.

Comment

I am definitely good for a while myself. But reading men's style blogs does not help keep the spending down. Just when I think I'm "good," I realize there is so much more.

Comment

@Duvel That's so true, I always think I'm good. Until I see a new list on dappered ect. and say I don't have one of those, plus its pretty nice. I need to put some control on my spending, or find a way better paying job

Comment

Just bought some happy socks literally as I was reading the topic header. But I am down.
                              "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                              I>0<I

Comment

Working...
                              X