Trimming down the wardrobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming down the wardrobe

I'm looking to gut my wardrobe down to essentials and could really use some experienced input/advice.

I live in Kansas City, so I have to deal with seasons (365 of them). At work, it's business casual 4 days a week and jeans on Friday. I own a house and a dog, so house/yard work and dog park trips are regular affairs. I go out 2-3 times a week.

Just looking for what minimum items I need, so I can create a guideline for getting rid of the junk. Closet space isn't an issue, but I hate having things around that I don't our shouldn't be using.

A different approach to trimming down is to keep track of what you've worn and especially what doesn't get worn. If you can't remember wearing something in a certain time-frame (six months to two years) and it's not special (a tuxedo, perhaps), toss it. And arrange your closet so that as things are worn they're moved to a different location (shirts on hangers get moved to the rightmost side of the closet rod, for example) - after a while you'll see other things that are not worn, and they should be removed too.

Comment

It's such a vague question, but search on the threads and main site for posts about minimal wardrobes, essentials, etc. I'm not trying to sound curmudgeonly but there's probably a post on this every other week.
      Some quick hits though to get you started:
      - keep things that are fit well and look good on you
      - if something is of good quality and you like it but the fit isn't optimal, consider keeping it to get tailored
      - several blue and white dress shirts; one of each should be OCBD
      - 3-4 pairs of wool slacks and 2 pairs nice cotton dress pants
      - you can probably donate most of your bad shiny silk ties and slowly replace them with more textured ones of various materials
      - a few pairs of jeans; keep a light pair or two for yardwork and walking the dog, and then have 1-2 dark rinse, non-whiskered, non-baggy pairs for going out
      - no "going out shirts"
      - Keep or grab a nice navy or gray blazer. Light shoulder padding is best so it can also be worn casually, a little bit of texture also helps make it more casual (as opposed to smooth wool)

It's really hard to help with generic guidelines. Sorry!

Comment

My advice echos JT's. I did the same thing about a year ago and it helped tremendously with identifying functional holes in my wardrobe. Sure, you might have some of the classic staples already floating around, but if you aren't getting any use out of them or they don't fit correctly it's really not worthwhile to include them in your "working list" when trying to move forward.

Comment

Not sure about the OBDC's. I wouldn't wear them to work, or wear out to the pub and I don't play polo! Collar stays

Definitely agree on having a few white and blue staple dress shirts, I actually have 2 non iron's of each just so I always have something ready.

If you want to minimize, focus on well fitting things you can layer, a few v-necks and some dress shirts you can create a few looks just from that. Then a few sport coats and suits. On jean days at work I tend to wear wool pants because my office can get hot as heck!

Comment

I guess the main thing I'm trying to get at is how many shirts, pants, etc. I know to keep what fits and jettison what doesn't.

And what do you wear I'm the summer? I have a bunch of short sleeve button downs that I'm not sure are acceptable.

Comment

Questions like this come up occasionally, and people respond with lists of what they would have, and I have never seen a list that matched what I would actually want (or have). I think everyone's situation is just unique enough to make this question almost unanswerable by someone else.

To help you answer it for yourself, try a process of removing what you don't want. First get rid of everything that doesn't fit properly (and can't be tailored or isn't worth tailoring). Then, of what is left, wear what you want to wear, and every time you where something, move it to the front of the closet. At the end of every month, get rid of what is in the back of the closet.

I have a Goodwill bag, a potential Goodwill pile, and the stuff I wear. If I'm not wearing something, it goes on the pile. If I don't go get it off the pile, it goes into the bag. Once the bag is full, I donate it at Goodwill. (I don't have a lot of closet space, but I have empty rooms that are good for creating piles)

Comment

Two lists, first from Put This On:
                http://putthison.com/post/712103418/...rhaps-the-most

2nd from Manton (author of the great menswear book The Suit) on SF:
                http://www.styleforum.net/t/309783/i...-dressed/0_100

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                  Not sure about the OBDC's. I wouldn't wear them to work, or wear out to the pub and I don't play polo! Collar stays
                  I actually agree with this as well. I know they are a staple of the American business wardrobe, but I only have 1 (out of maybe 40 shirts) and I almost never wear it.

Comment

I wouldn't wear them to work either, but they're good for casual wear, at least for me. I can understand where the two of you are coming from for sure though.

Comment

Working...
                    X