Black Coat with Brown Shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Coat with Brown Shoes?

For my job I generally wear brown shoes, a light brown pair and a dark brown pair, but occasionally I wear black too. With colder weather approaching, I don't have much in the way of winter coats. One option I currently have is a black wool coat, very similar to the J. Crew Factory walking coat (for reference.) So it hits above knee, not super long. My question is: Is it okay to wear the brown shoes with the coat, even though they're brown and black?

If it helps, I generally wear either khaki, gray or charcoal colored pants. And I am looking for a navy or charcoal colored winter coat, but until then I am trying to figure out what I will wear.

You're going to get different opinions on this and basically I think it is going to boil down to how you feel it looks on you. IMO black and brown can look fine together but it does depend on the details, like anything. Maybe post a pic?

Comment

The general rule about black and brown is that you should match your belt with your shoes. Otherwise, black goes fine with brown as long as it isn't such a dark color that it could be mistaken for black itself. Wearing brown shoes with a black coat is totally fine.

Ben

Comment

Agree with BenR, black and brown is fine.

I would also say it depends on how much walking you will do in it. For me, I wear my coat walking to the driveway, in the car, and to work. I may not even run into anyone on the way to my desk. The outfit I wear underneath (for the rest of the day) is more important.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I personally feel black and brown are fine together also. I expected more dissent based on reading places like Styleforum.

Comment

Much like Yacko said, unless you work in an igloo and wear the coat all day, I really think the outfit underneath matters much more.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@ Sal - I think for the most part we here at Dappered are a little more laid-back than our friends at Styleforum. ;-)

Ben

Comment

Its all personal taste, I work with employees who wear black suits with brown shoes...I cringe at the site but what can you do.

Black over coat with brown shoes (that match the rest of the outfit) I think would be ok. I personally don't think I would wear, only because I have options. For me, a black coat is like wearing a black blazer. It goes with grays, charcoals and black. Whereas a blue over coat is like a blue blazer, goes with everything but black (especially pants). But again, that is just my opinion, and I only stick to that because I have options.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I will try it out when it gets cold. @ Yacko - I pretty much wear it from the door to the car, parking lot to building, then past 5 or 6 people. Then at the end of the day in reverse. So, its not a real big deal either way. Just wanted some people's opinions on the look.

Comment

Working...
                  X