Bar Lacing vs. Crossed Lacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar Lacing vs. Crossed Lacing

Joe recently published a list of tips, amongst them being that he suggests using Bar Lacing for all dressier shoes. Most of my dressier shoes come with Bar Lacing but I always immediately switch it to Crossed Lacing. I find Bar Lacing to be impossible to tighten, and thus not very practical. Am I the only one? I do concede that Bar Lacing looks better, but I can never tie them well because you can't really tighten them.

Any thoughts?

I share the same sentiments. The bar lacing looks good but takes longer to tighten and loosen imo. I use a hybrid method one bar and two criss crosses as seen on my brogues vs the other captoe!

Comment

I think there are (at least) two different ways of getting the *bar* look. The way you mention your shoes "coming bar laced" and then a much easier to tighten other method.

The store/display look has the one side of the laces ran all the way up the tongue, right? That makes them nearly impossible to tighten/loosen/etc,

If you do it the way described and animated in this link, you may find it much easier:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

I have been doing a few of mine like this as of late, and the only issue I have is that it seems to lead to longer lace ends left over. Other than that they look very neat and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
        I think there are (at least) two different ways of getting the *bar* look. The way you mention your shoes "coming bar laced" and then a much easier to tighten other method.

The store/display look has the one side of the laces ran all the way up the tongue, right? That makes them nearly impossible to tighten/loosen/etc,

If you do it the way described and animated in this link, you may find it much easier:

I have been doing a few of mine like this as of late, and the only issue I have is that it seems to lead to longer lace ends left over. Other than that they look very neat and clean.
        You're absolutely right the way they do it at the store sucks and is really just for display. I do mine the way it is showed at that link and it works well but still isn't quite as easily adjustable as the cross lacing. Bar lacing is great for more formal/oxford shoes where as cross lacing is nice for something a bit less formal like Strands/wingtips or boots and anything with open lacing. Really comes down to personal preference and having a little bit of variety.
        5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
          I share the same sentiments. The bar lacing looks good but takes longer to tighten and loosen imo. I use a hybrid method one bar and two criss crosses as seen on my brogues vs the other captoe!
          I do something similar, although I would probably have three bars on a shoe like that. More half and half.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post

I do it this way and I've never had trouble tightening my shoes. Yes, it's not as easy as cross, but it's no problem.

Comment

I use bar lacing only on even-numbered eyelets. To do it on odd-numbered eyelets, you have to do the european style where you cross underneath. It's really hard to tighten, and just not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                I share the same sentiments. The bar lacing looks good but takes longer to tighten and loosen imo.
                +1 It looks better, but it's just not worth it to me.

Comment

I'm going to question everyone having a hard time tightening bar laces:

I just tossed on 5 eyelet magnanni's, bar laced pulled the top bar to tighten lower part of shoe and then pulled the tops of the laces, it's tight absolutely no problem what so ever. Plain thick black cotton laces

However with my Allen Edmonds and their $#@%, &[email protected]! waxed laces it's much more difficult I find, If I ever consider another pair of AEs I will probably tell them to take the laces and strangle the guy making them, it still works but it definitely requires me to pull on a few bars.

So the tough bar lacing...Waxed Laces?

I find after time they soften up a bit but F that, you'd think charging 300-400 a shoe they'd at least make the nicest lacing method work well...

@Kbrown, european is the criss cross all the way up right? That one sucks! all you need to do is just a single cross over at last eyelet. That link someone posted I think has the image example.

Comment

I have the same issue with bar lacing not being as tight as standard lacing, but then again, I've only tried it on my AE's with the waxed laces. I never thought that would contribute/cause the issue. I still like the waxed laces better as they tend not to come undone as much as regular laces.

Comment

When you tie your laces, and are doing the around part go the opposite direction around that you normally do, it's supposed to make the knot tighter as your foot moves.

Comment

Working...
                      X