Refurbishing old/used shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
    These are some other thrift finds that I got too lazy to take the before pics, but just ended up taking after I was done with them. Pretty much the same process.

Allen Edmonds Sanford:

Jcrew Allerton Suede wingtips (Italy):

Ben Sherman Chukkas, nothing really special but I thought they looked pretty decent:

Steve Madden boots. REally nothing special, but I thought the Leather Preserve I used on them made the leather look much much better than the dried scuffed up monstrosity it was:

foodie, you should be a cobbler man. you turn rags to riches man. The walnuts are AMAZING. I see shoes like that in thrifts alot and usually say those things are dead to me...changing that sentiment from now on. This was an awesome thread. GOod play by play foodie. what method do you use to shine 2 coats regularly or you just call it based on the shoe?
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post

2) Once the shoe has been properly conditioned you can use creams, waxes or hybrid polishes (unless you used obenauf's, which can stand on it's own). I usually polish the shoe once with the AE premium shoe polish which is a hybrid product. Not because I think it's the best but it's convienient and cheap, then I'll take a look over the shoe to see if any areas look "lighter" than the other areas of the shoe. This sometimes happens due to excessive scuffs and touching those areas with shoe cream can help. I'll then reapply additional coats of polish as I see fit (usually two to three).

3) A darker polish can usually darken the leather just a tad bit but lots of times the shoe darkens on its own naturally once you restore it. Lots of the shoes at thrift stores are a lighter color because of excessive dryness.

4) I mentioned some names from 1-3.
      how long are you waiting before you apply the wax in step 2 foodie?
      "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

I like to use a dauber for the cream. I think it helps, and if nothing else, it is easier. You can probably pick one up from your local shoe shop for cheap. As far as brushes go, I like to use a horse hair brush to get the dirt off. It seems to work pretty well, and again, they aren't very expensive.

I forgot in my last post to mention that I wipe them down with a shine cloth when I am done.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
          how long are you waiting before you apply the wax in step 2 foodie?
          Sorry for the late reply Max. I had forgotten about this thread but was reminded of it today from encountering an infamous member around the thrifting sphere in person today. If the shoe is severely dry I'll usually let the conditioner soak in for a few hours. Otherwise, I can go as little as 15 minutes.

Thought I would add in some other tips for guys just starting out:

This is very basic but for those who do not know: For suede shoes you can remove a lot of scuffs and dirt by using these two simple supplies:

Ugly ugly scuff right?

First erase any dirt or marking on the suede:

Then brush the suede unilaterally:

Ta da!

Comment

It's hard to see the differences in some of my earlier pics due to me taking pictures of them in different lighting and different times of the day. I thought I'd show the differences in the same lighting for my latest find to show you the difference by restoring only one shoe and leaving the other one untouched (restored shoe on top):

Comment

And here's the other shoe after some TLC:

and the final product in outdoor lighting:

Comment

Working...
              X