No announcement yet.

Do you remeber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was brought up wearing Brooks Brothers and similar brands. I rebelled in college by buying a few pairs of absolutely horrible jeans, but I threw them out after graduating and went back to classic menswear. The one difference in my style has been the fit of my clothing: I've adopted a slimmer, fitted style.

Comment

My personal style journey just began last June when I simply got fed up with my wardrobe and decided I needed to make change. Being a big indie music fan, I'd been content to wear t-shirts, jeans, a hoodie, and sneakers as my everyday uniform but after checking out this site and others such as Put This On I realized I was dressing like a college student (I'm 38, married with twins). Also, I realized that the limited selection of button-up shirts I did have were all way too baggy. Over the next few months I revamped my closet with at least a decent selection of shirts, got some Levi's that fit better than my baggy Old Navy jeans, and now feel like I have a solid foundation from which to build. Still a ways to go, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
        So that's why you're always wearing dark shades in the WIWTs! BTW...seems like Express was a huge starting point for most of the guys here (me included)...weeeiiiirrrdddd
        LOL was thinking the same thing foodie.
        "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
          Max man you bought 36 but was really a 30? I can relate! I can also relate to the GF part. My Ex pretty much took me to express one day and "dressed me up" because I think she was getting a bit embarassed at how unfitted my clothing was (she liked shopping there). I remember how uncomfortable it felt in the beginning wearing clothes that fitted properly. Now it feels uncomfy to wear loose clothing.
          yea man, 36 was the largest but i was back and forth between 34 and 36. To me back then, that's what was cool. Thank God my wife saw more to me than my clothes. I feel the same way about wearing loose fitting clothes, i get this wierd feeling. Only baggy thing i can wear are sweat pants and basketball shorts.
          I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
            God mine was a bit more harsh. I had decent fitting clothes but nothing was tailored. However some items like Theory dress shirts fit well and some slim fit van heussen, of course I wore much smaller neck size as I didn't need a tie. My t-shirts were all very fitted though as I was a 200lb gym rat so I had to show the size.

Anyways ex and I had our son, and so forth, go down a year and a half later when he's going to day home, I dress him up one morning and she says "Just because you dress like shit doesn't mean he needs to" and up until that point I wasn't badly dressed according to most people, I would polish my rockport shoes, wore expensive fitted jeans.

So after that I started researching how to dress and fit always came up, new express store opened in Calgary, went in and grabbed 2 shirts for about $110 and though omfg they are expensive. Wore the one the next day and everyone said wow that's really colourful etc. One shirt fall apart next wash and I returned both of them after reading an article about wearing very bright colours causes people to think you're dumber than you are, and I thought the quality sucked. Then did a charles tyrwhitt order which was the start of me down the path right now; To which my ex bitched about as I was buying things near xmas....and she bought me all tshirts for xmas...was expecting dress shirts after her previous remark...she got me 1, and it was a 33 sleeve...I'm 36!

Fast forward a year now and voila, I'll have to do a 1 year clothing transformation posting after I get my final pieces I ordered in December
            sorry about this but i laughed at the dress lie shit comment, just becasue i heard it before a few yrs ago.
            I>0<I

Comment

Hah no worries Max it actually motivated me to a complete wardrobe overhaul in a year, so it was probably one of the best things to be told...even if I was a little butt hurt at the time.

@Foodie, that's odd you mention that, most of my shirts are white, pink, blue, wearing a CT green royal oxford today...not sure what I think of it though

Comment

I somehow ended up on the GQ website of all things and, I don't know, it just clicked, I should start dressing better, and hey these guys look pretty cool, even if the clothes are crazy expensive. I was a business student in college and I knew that I would have to grow up someday and cut my hair, take out my earrings, and so forth(I used to be a bit of a scene kid) . I didn't buy anything for a while, I had a couple dress shirts and some dress pants for presentations and interviews, so I started wearing those more (of course they fit horribly). I did an internship that fall that gave me quite a bit of disposable income (at least for a 21 year old). I remember going to Gap and buying some bad fitting chinos and a sweater. That was 2 1/2 years ago, it feels kind of weird to look back and remember what I was like.

Comment

It was a long and winding road for me, a story that dates back 9 years when I was 17. The first thing I ever bought that made me think about how things look were a pair of Chucks. I was pairing them with with carpenter jeans (you can laugh) and band t-shirts. It was at that moment I realized jeans never look good over running shoes. Then came a scene phase where the jeans and tees got too tight (some jeans even had flair, mid '00's scene). I grew out of that and I wanted to wear nice clothes but couldn't afford to so it was fitted tshirts, dark 514s, and canvas sneakers. After a few years pretending to be a pro athlete I'm still pretending but I have a real job too and now I have collared shirts that fit well and some chinos to rotate with the 514's

Comment

Back @ University, being an Art Major tended to mean that you had to dress like the "creative" types did, i.e. conforming to the generic "slobwear" look (basically like everyone else) or like you didn't care about anything. You had to, "be unique," by basically dressing like everyone else or what everyone else wanted you to wear.

It took me awhile to realize that the real "creative" types, the ones with actual influence and ability, tended to dress very nicely. They also tended to be either European (Italian/British) or Asian (Tokyo), with a lot of flair. So I naturally started to hang out with them and thus started to dress more "grown-up". Pretty simple now that I really think about it.

Now I pretty much follow that aesthetic. Considering my love for Italian Renaissance and Modern art (which is what I mainly studied) I have a natural attraction to Florentine and Milanese houses. This is not cheap.

Comment

I was maybe a freshman or sophomore in high school when I happened to watch the first episode of What Not to Wear. My parents were way into Trading Spaces and WNTW premiered right afterward. We started watching it as a bit of a joke but by the end we all realized maybe there was something to this notion that well-fitted, professional clothing can make a person look smarter, more successful, more attractive.

Even though the subject of the show was a woman, it still changed a lot of the way I thought about clothes. I went to Old Navy in the following days and bought a pair of fitted-ish (hey, it was the early '00s, nothing was really fitted) chinos of some kind - which, at that time, became pretty much the only pair of pants I owned that wasn't jeans or sweatpants.

By the time I graduated, even though I wasn't wearing the Abercrombie crap everyone else was and I wasn't that stylish by Dappered standards, I still had a reputation as one of the better-dressed people at school (came as runner up for best-dressed in the yearbook). I lost some of my style steam in college, due to money issues and major life changes, but I've been back on the upswing since graduating.
                      Ben

Comment

Working...
                      X