Do you remeber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you remeber?

After a nostalgic moment in another thread, this came to mind.

Do you remember the first piece you wore when you made the plunge to look like a classy adult?

This is by no means a plunge into looking like an"classy" adult. It was 2006 and my then gf now wife took me to Express. This was one of the stores i never entered becasue i felt it was for tight people, like those overly greasy guys with the bright too tight in the chest 3 button unbuttoned shirts. But i went in and tried on some of thier clothes and becasue of my wife i bought some stuff although i still had some apprehensions. Mind you I was a rockawear, jordans, fitted hats kinda guy in college.
    So i walked out with a pair of tan chinos and 3 t's with designs on them, but all fitted, at least in my mind at the time, but they were def not my size at the time was probably a 30 x32 and bought a 33x32, better than my normal 36x34. I was so scared to wear those things out in public out of fear of public humiliation lol jk. When i did wear the chinos with one of the Ts all i did all day was adjust things.
    I still own some of the ts although i never wear them under any circumstance lol, just for keepsake as the first thing i bought when i changed my style. So thanks to my wife i am the guy i am today, not caring about what other may think of how i look, rather appreciating the skills i have learned over the years.

how about you guys?
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

I was also a J's and 5950's guy and the first thing I bought was a pair of straight fit jeans, I think the LEC Canvas ones that were on sale forever. When I first put them on I thought I looked like a hipster in skinny jeans since I was used to oversized Levi's 569. Since then I've actually gone with even a slimmer leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Thekillabeejc View Post
      I was also a J's and 5950's guy and the first thing I bought was a pair of straight fit jeans, I think the LEC Canvas ones that were on sale forever. When I first put them on I thought I looked like a hipster in skinny jeans since I was used to oversized Levi's 569. Since then I've actually gone with even a slimmer leg.
      Exaclty, its so funny how it works. Even now, i have things in my closet i bought last year that i am considering donating because the fit is off.
      "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

Ah, yes. I bought several horrible striped shirts (like a black shirt with red and white stripes) and a few polyester (at least they didn't look shiny or anything) pants from Mexx when I started working in IT, when I was still in college. At least they were my size! I then added a few argyle v-neck sweaters. People started to say that I was dressing well for my age. And that's how it started.

Before these, I was wearing jeans and black graphic t-shirts.

Comment

I was actually worse. Started from the depths below jeans, basically just cargos and t shirts. Sometimes some other pants but not really chinos. Eventually I got into nicer jeans (skipped the massive baggy phase) and got a few button down shirts that fit well. Added in some chinos, etc. Anyway when I started to get the nicer clothes - darker jeans that actually fit decently well, tailored shirts you could wear untucked, etc - it was amazing how fast people actually noticed and a few outwardly even said it was a huge improvement / difference. I remember looking in the mirror and thinking "What am I wearing?" It looked so strange.

Comment

When I moved out of the field and into the office, my first plunges came in the form of multiple Express 1MX Modern Fit shirts as well as a couple pairs of the Producer pants. I loved the colors and patterns of the shirts and there are a few I am considering having tailored. They are a little loud on their own, but fine when layered.

Comment

Haha I had a similar experience to Jessy's. Wasted a bunch of money on shitty Mexx shirts/pants/sweaters.

Comment

It was about a year ago that I decided to stop dressing like a college student. My brother had upgraded his style a little while before that and I like the way it looked on him. Over the Christmas holidays I spent some time with a friend from college who worked in corporate for Neiman's. Seeing the both of them kinda inspired me. I started off by buying cheap, ill-fitting stuff from Target and JC Penney. It took me quite a while (4-6 months) to realize what a good fit was. I'm still learning in some aspects. Now, I'm working on being patient and saving rather than just buying whatever's on sale. I'm trying to work for the long-term.

Comment

This has happened various times in my life. I remember some ah-ha moments when I was working part-time in the men's department of a large department store when I was in college. They didn't have the best stuff in the world but a lot of it was better than what I had been used to. My biggest eye-openers were what the store brand called "European fit" shirts, basically very nicely fitted, trimmer dress shirts. Their collar sizes were just right, not too big, not too small, perfect for ties or for more casual. I bought a few of those and felt like I was the best-dressed guy on campus.

Comment

I had a similar kind of experience as MaxMan. Express was my gateway to slimmer-fitting clothes. Prior to that, I was more loose-fit jeans, Ecko large t-shirts, huge sweatshirts, and Nikes. My wife would ask why I wore jeans that seemed a size and a half too big, and I would reply that I liked how it made me look bigger. Well, I started working out, my clothes are fitted, and I just shake my head at the old wardrobe.

I invested time in educating myself on fit, form, and frugal fashion a few years ago and have overhauled virtually everything.

Comment

Max man you bought 36 but was really a 30? I can relate! I can also relate to the GF part. My Ex pretty much took me to express one day and "dressed me up" because I think she was getting a bit embarassed at how unfitted my clothing was (she liked shopping there). I remember how uncomfortable it felt in the beginning wearing clothes that fitted properly. Now it feels uncomfy to wear loose clothing.

Comment

I don't really remember as I wore navy blazers sometimes in high school. Not quite a classy adult look, but a classy kid look. I think I wore a jacket and tie for a job in high school too (long time ago).

Maybe the closest thing to the question is an olive green summer suit I got at Brooks Brothers a little more than 20 years ago (still have the jacket too, though it's a bit beat). But I think I'm pretty sure I had a gray wool suit from a smaller shop a few years before. And a used but good quality tuxedo. It all blurs together when you're old after awhile.
                        Last edited by JT10000; January 30, 2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

About 5 years ago, my sister was an executive at Express, so she sent my wife a discount coupon so she could buy some stuff.

While she was shopping, my wife picked up a cashmere sweater (later ruined by mistake) and a dress shirt for me so that I'd have something decent to wear to an office xmas party. When I wore it I realized that I looked a lot better in that than I did in the usual t shirts and jeans that I wore to work (I lived in CA at the time, so I wore the same thing year round, with maybe a light jacket in the winter).

I didn't really do much about it at the time, because I didn't have the cash to buy new clothes.

Then, in early 2011, I started making a lot more money, moved to washington state (real weather) and I also got into shape (I used to be a 130lb scrawny guy, now I'm a fairly muscular 155-160lbs). I needed a new wardrobe.

I started off thinking about that sweater and dress shirt, so I went out and bought half a dozen dress shirts and v-neck sweaters. I became hooked on dressing well, and since then I've probably bought more clothes than I did in my entire lifetime up to that point.

These days I probably have too many clothes, but even my worst items are superior to everything I owned before 2011.

Comment

God mine was a bit more harsh. I had decent fitting clothes but nothing was tailored. However some items like Theory dress shirts fit well and some slim fit van heussen, of course I wore much smaller neck size as I didn't need a tie. My t-shirts were all very fitted though as I was a 200lb gym rat so I had to show the size.

Anyways ex and I had our son, and so forth, go down a year and a half later when he's going to day home, I dress him up one morning and she says "Just because you dress like shit doesn't mean he needs to" and up until that point I wasn't badly dressed according to most people, I would polish my rockport shoes, wore expensive fitted jeans.

So after that I started researching how to dress and fit always came up, new express store opened in Calgary, went in and grabbed 2 shirts for about $110 and though omfg they are expensive. Wore the one the next day and everyone said wow that's really colourful etc. One shirt fall apart next wash and I returned both of them after reading an article about wearing very bright colours causes people to think you're dumber than you are, and I thought the quality sucked. Then did a charles tyrwhitt order which was the start of me down the path right now; To which my ex bitched about as I was buying things near xmas....and she bought me all tshirts for xmas...was expecting dress shirts after her previous remark...she got me 1, and it was a 33 sleeve...I'm 36!

Fast forward a year now and voila, I'll have to do a 1 year clothing transformation posting after I get my final pieces I ordered in December

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                              returned both of them after reading an article about wearing very bright colours causes people to think you're dumber than you are
                              So that's why you're always wearing dark shades in the WIWTs! BTW...seems like Express was a huge starting point for most of the guys here (me included)...weeeiiiirrrdddd

Comment

Working...
                              X