Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat shoe/summer casual alternative?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Boat shoe/summer casual alternative?

    First off, I want to say thanks to everyone that got me heading in the right direction in my first post. http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...ere-to-start-!. I took advantage of Gap and BR's 35% sale today and stocked up on a few essentials such as henleys, solid color T's, and a few casual button ups! Still undecided on shoes though, and I know boat shoes and Chucks/Purcells were recommended to me, but the boats are a little too preppy for my tastes, and Im not quite yet sold on the old school canvas sneakers. The slip on Purcells are growing on me!

    Wondering what you guys though about these though? http://www.brewshoes.com/dudeibu.html
    Definitely still on the casual side, but they still have the boat shoe profile sticking out from under a pair of pants of jeans. Im halfway considering getting the pair in the link and a pair of the tan canvas ones as well. I think they have some unique subtile styling to them, and Im a bit of a beer snob/aficionado, so they sort of play hand in hand!
    Last edited by Tim Andrews; January 29, 2013, 10:59 PM.

    #2
    I've never understood what's wrong with wearing boat shoes even if they're considered "preppy" (I get the whole "but you don't wear them near the water"... but then you could say that about a lot of menswear, esp the entire workwear trend - BenR excepted). But to each his/her own. Honestly those shoes don't look very nice to me, but the loafer idea is a good one. Have you considered penny loafers or driving shoes? They'll work with jeans/chinos in the summer.

    Comment


      #3
      To each their own, but I would personally pass on those. A light brown penny loafer or drivers would both be slip-ons for spring/summer which wouldn't look like leather crocs. An example;


      There was a darker brown version, but you'd have to hunt for those
      Last edited by dstepner; January 29, 2013, 11:29 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Tim Andrews View Post
        First off, I want to say thanks to everyone that got me heading in the right direction in my first post. http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...ere-to-start-!. I took advantage of Gap and BR's 35% sale today and stocked up on a few essentials such as henleys, solid color T's, and a few casual button ups! Still undecided on shoes though, and I know boat shoes and Chucks/Purcells were recommended to me, but the boats are a little too preppy for my tastes, and Im not quite yet sold on the old school canvas sneakers. The slip on Purcells are growing on me!

        Wondering what you guys though about these though? http://www.brewshoes.com/dudeibu.html
        Definitely still on the casual side, but they still have the boat shoe profile sticking out from under a pair of pants of jeans. Im halfway considering getting the pair in the link and a pair of the tan canvas ones as well. I think they have some unique subtile styling to them, and Im a bit of a beer snob/aficionado, so they sort of play hand in hand!
        I dont know about the rest of the guys but i gotta say "dont do it". Those things look like what a freshman in highschool in socal would wear. This is no offense to you as i am well aware your just starting out. Great job on the picks. Fit is the most important thing and your fit judging from the pics in your other thread isnt that bad. Back to the slipper cut away heal monstrosity, compare those to these
        "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

        Comment


          #5
          I'd pass on those, too. Boat shoes and penny loafers, though "preppy," are classics and here to stay. Canvas sneakers are a good summer option, but they don't look as "nice," if you know what I mean. Go with a pair of white Tretorns.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
            I've never understood what's wrong with wearing boat shoes even if they're considered "preppy" (I get the whole "but you don't wear them near the water"... but then you could say that about a lot of menswear, esp the entire workwear trend - BenR excepted). But to each his/her own. Honestly those shoes don't look very nice to me, but the loafer idea is a good one. Have you considered penny loafers or driving shoes? They'll work with jeans/chinos in the summer.
            I agree with you 100% Los, just to add, the boat shoes is intended to be worn on a boat, the grooves on the bottom of the shoes are designed to stop you from slipping. The guy that invented them (Sperry i beleive) saw how his dog walking on the boat without slpping and molding the sole after the bottom of a dogs paw. Pennies and Drivers (you comment would also serve here as well, as these shoes are only intended to be worn whilst driving, thus the thin sols) are also great choices, particulary a driver as you get the ultimate casual look. i dont really like the polos as i dont like the heal, but those are still a great option if you get past the heal.
            "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

            Comment


              #7
              I agree with all the advice here. Don't get those. Go with a penney loafer, driving moc, or boat shoe. I really can't thing of a better option that is still stylish. I know how you feel about the preppy thing. When I first started upping my style game, I hated boat shoes, and drivers for that matter. I had tried to avoid the anything "preppy" for so long that it was ingratiated in me to hate anything like that. But the style, and boat shoes, started to grow on me. Now I dress more on the preppy side, especially in the summer, and I am very happy about with my look.

              Comment


                #8
                I got these Sebago Saddles in the fall, so haven't had a chance to wear them very much, but even out of the box, the suede is very soft and supple.

                I used to be anti boat shoe as well, but with a nice pair of shorts (non cargo) and a colorful button up, it's a good look.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I think you really tone down the prep factor if you're not wearing easter green pants and a BB button down. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but if you don't wanna be a prep, I'd avoid those I used to think a lot of things were not "me" and then I started wearing them. I was admittedly very self-conscious at first, not wanting people to call me out on it. Even if they did, I started to feel more and more comfortable and eventually realized I liked them. But it took time. For example, I bought Alpha Khakis and wore them once or twice and decided they were too skinny and put them away. A few months later I went back to them and decided to give them another try and loved them.

                  Also @Max - thanks for the history lesson, that's really cool!

                  @Tim: I know that some people here have remarked on their friends calling them out for the preppy boat shoe look. I guess it's a matter of where you grew up and what that connoted, and I can understand the apprehension. But a) guys tend to give their friends a hard time about a new look in general, and b) if you keep wearing them as well as those excellent selections you made today, they'll stop saying things because you look better and you don't seem to mind

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Good advice all around again guys! Ill keep shopping around for a boat shoe or driver. I think that may have been half the battle because nothing had really been catching my eye.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by RiveDroit View Post
                      I got these Sebago Saddles in the fall, so haven't had a chance to wear them very much, but even out of the box, the suede is very soft and supple.

                      I used to be anti boat shoe as well, but with a nice pair of shorts (non cargo) and a colorful button up, it's a good look.
                      Welcome to the dark side. lol. Those remind me of saddle shoes. I like the look very comfortable looking. You could even throw on some worn in blue jeans. Im from boston so by default i love boat shoes.
                      "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                      I>0<I

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                        I think you really tone down the prep factor if you're not wearing easter green pants and a BB button down. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but if you don't wanna be a prep, I'd avoid those I used to think a lot of things were not "me" and then I started wearing them. I was admittedly very self-conscious at first, not wanting people to call me out on it. Even if they did, I started to feel more and more comfortable and eventually realized I liked them. But it took time. For example, I bought Alpha Khakis and wore them once or twice and decided they were too skinny and put them away. A few months later I went back to them and decided to give them another try and loved them.
                        NP. I have to agree with you again. When i was starting to change my style, i was reluctant to stray from my baggy jeans and jordans and fitted New Era baseball caps. When i put on my first pair of straight fit jeans (a pair from Old navy, i was like wtf these things are too tight) mind you this was Old Navy in '06, there was nothing tight about thier "straight" fit pants. I was like I will keep em in the closet then like los i wore them again a few months later and loved them. Compared to my fits now, those things would be like relaxed fit sean john jeans or something to that extent.
                        "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                        I>0<I

                        Comment


                          #13
                          First off, it sounds like we have really similar styles. I'm a grad student (who doesn't TA), so I have very minimal dress requirements, and since I feel most comfortable in casual clothing, I figure - why not wear what makes me happy? Lots of Ts, Henleys, sweaters, the occasional oxford w/ sleeves rolled. And I totally understand your desire to avoid boat shoes; I'm in the same camp - college was just too recent for me to think of them as anything but preppy, fratty attire.

                          Here's what I recommend on the shoe front:

                          1. If you go for canvas sneakers but aren't loving the look of Chucks/Purcells, I'd personally recommend checking out Tretorn Nylite canvas sneakers, especially in navy. It's a good look, especially with leather laces, and especially sockless in the spring. This preview photo from bonobos (http://www.bonobos.com/red-cotton-sh...-knees-lobster) shows kindof what I mean. I don't think it's the Nylites, but its a pair of very similar sneakers, so you get the idea of what it could look like.

                          2. Drivers or loafers are your friend. Be very careful, though. If you're going to be doing a lot of walking in them, make sure that you get a sole that's one-piece and rubber. Yes, maybe it'll be a little more visible and a little less awesome looking, but you don't want to make the mistake of getting a pair of shoes whose sole will wear out in six months. Suede is a solid option, but personally I just love leather for the patina it takes on after a lot of wear. You might want to check out more of a "tan" color - it's inherently more casual and (I think) looks good. If you go for drivers, wear them out in the rain one time. Your feet will get disgusting and need to be washed badly, but the shoes will mold to them. Totally worth it. Here's a sample pair of drivers: http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-...venetian-camel

                          Also: Welcome!

                          (P.S. J Crew Factory on sale is your friend if you're looking for cheap casual options)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Tim Andrews View Post
                            First off, I want to say thanks to everyone that got me heading in the right direction in my first post. http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...ere-to-start-!. I took advantage of Gap and BR's 35% sale today and stocked up on a few essentials such as henleys, solid color T's, and a few casual button ups! Still undecided on shoes though, and I know boat shoes and Chucks/Purcells were recommended to me, but the boats are a little too preppy for my tastes, and Im not quite yet sold on the old school canvas sneakers. The slip on Purcells are growing on me!

                            Wondering what you guys though about these though? http://www.brewshoes.com/dudeibu.html
                            Definitely still on the casual side, but they still have the boat shoe profile sticking out from under a pair of pants of jeans. Im halfway considering getting the pair in the link and a pair of the tan canvas ones as well. I think they have some unique subtile styling to them, and Im a bit of a beer snob/aficionado, so they sort of play hand in hand!
                            What's wrong with preppy? JFK was preppy, Steve McQueen was preppy (though I never saw the latter in boat shoes). Preppy is classic, timeless. My recs: boat shoes, canvas Sperry's, Jack Purcells, buck oxfords or buck saddle oxfords, sand suede Desert Boots.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I'm a big fan of suede bucks in the summer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X