Your Latest Obsessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdig View Post
    you mean what modern America has "convinced themselves" is the Paleo Diet...
    lol yea you could say that. though I did hunt down a sabertooth tiger... I punched it in the face and ate it.

Originally posted by Mint Condition View Post
    I am interested in Meermin; have been browsing their site for a few weeks. Do they fit true to size? They are beautiful shoes for the price!

I wear a 10D US and bought a 9.5UK and it fits really well. So their site, and other sites, may say to go down a whole size when converting from US to UK (others say go down a half) but I found that the fit is just right with only going down a half. I am wearing the brown semi-brogues oxfords from the Classic collection which is on the Olfe last. So, you may also need to take that into consideration when making your purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by kbrown View Post
      I meant well under $100. $100 is the point where you can get good quality MTM. I'd rather not have to pay $100 per shirt.
      Get thee to a tailor man. I know you likely hear that from everyone, but it's really the way to go. I had the same frustrations until I just took a few shirts in to my dude that I liked but wasn't happy w/ the fit. Best $20 I could have spent. I resisted it for entirely too long.
      Find something that is long enough in the arms and fits well in the shoulders off the rack - that typically shouldn't be too hard to do. From there think about adding $20 to it and I'm guessing you're well under $100. Since I'm standing there w/ the shirt on when the adjustments are pinned, the shirts fit better that anything I've bought from MTM companies.

Comment

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
        I'd go with my new Macbook air, Historical beer recreations by Pretty Things & Dogfish Head, Belgian beers and Manhattans (cocktail not the borough)
        @Pratyk, if you're making your own Manhattans, the two best pieces of advice I can give are 1) use high quality vermouth (Punt e Mes and Cocchi Vermouth di Torino are particularly good); and 2) use legit, high quality marashino cherries, like Luxardo cherries. Huge improvement with each of those moves.

Comment

My latest obsession is the vintage Seamaster I purchased. I am looking forward to the new band/deployant clasp and getting it serviced. It is amazing to own something that runs/looks like new but is older then I am.

Other obsessions include Scotch and new car releases for the upcoming F1 season.

Comment

@Shomas and Pratyk, while I would agree that a good vermouth is delightful, it should be noted that they tend to have much bolder flavors, especially Punt e Mes. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't go into it thinking that Punt e Mes is just a "nicer" Cinzano. It's an entirely different drink. That being said, I'd add Dolin on the milder end and Carpano Antica on the richer, sweeter end. And I think Cinzano works really nicely in a Manhattan, for the record.

My latest obsession is amaro in general.

Comment

@LakeCharles - fair enough, it's obviously a matter of taste. I actually do prefer the bolder flavors. I've also tried replacing vermouth with Byrrh, which turned out pretty well, albeit quite a bit lighter and sweeter than vermouth. Have you been drinking amaro (amari?) in cocktails, sipping them as aperitifs, or some other option? Any particular varieties you recommend? The weekend is nigh and I'd love an excuse to booze it up with a little class!

Comment

Originally posted by LakeCharles View Post
                My latest obsession is amaro in general.
                I was just turned on to this lovely little liqueur recently and have found it to a great addition to Manhattans (in lieu of the vermouth). 2 parts rye, 1 part amaro, and a slight dash of bitters and you have one hell of drink in hand. I've seen it done alternatively with 1 part sweet vermouth, 1 part dry vermouth, 1 part rye, and a dash of amaro garnished with a lemon twist.

@Shomas: Personally I've been using a sangiovese based amaro that I picked up from a tasting room, but really only because it's local to me here and I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm sure they have some great options available in most liquor stores, though. I've been drinking it both neat and in cocktails and have enjoyed it both ways.

Comment

@Eric F, that may well be worth giving a shot. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X